Chef's Table Question

Etexvrc

My wife and I have been on two previous VO cruises (the first being The Viking Homelands and the second The West Indies). Our first experience on the Homelands cruise with the Chef's Table was, to us, highly disappointing. We had a total of three reservations and 'toughed it out' through 1 1/2 meals. The experience left such an impression that we declined dinning there on our followup cruise in the West Indies.

Before I continue, I should state two caveats:

1. We love most all types of cuisine, and enjoy experimenting with new & different, but the Chef's Table takes this (again, to us) to a whole new level. One which we did not enjoy. I understand 'different tastes for different folks' and would be the first to admit that, although varied in enjoying different cuisines, we do not have what many could be labeled as "sophisticated" palates. I state this to avoid any 'hate' follow-ups from my forum friends here. :D

2. We LOVE Viking Ocean cruises! Honestly, the only negative comment that immediately comes to mind would be our meals at The Chef's Table. In fact we love Viking so much that as I write this we have three cruises currently booked ! Scandinavia & The Kiel Canal, Australia & New Zealand and (just booked) South American & The Chilean Fjords.

All that to ask the question, has The Chef's Table changed in the last couple of years? Or should we go in expecting dishes such as Cardamom Foam again? Nothing against any of the 'foam' dish fans out there, but its just a bit too much of an 'experience' for us.

Have any of you had a recent experience you could possibly share with me? Should I be prepared to call room service for a post-meal meal (as we did last time)?

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone who thinks the Chef's Table is the best thing since Paul Prudhomme first threw a shrimp in a pan. Just a personal viewpoint.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Look at the menu for the night (s) you're booked when you board. If nothing is appealing, X-cel and go to the Restaurant or World Café. No one will reply with hate mail at all. It's much discussed for the weird tasting offerings. We ate there on the Sea last month; we would've been hungry from the "foam" and other offerings, but were already stuffed from the lunch venues and just called it a night . Have fun !

I have to admit that I had to google Paul Prudhomme...:o

I don't consider myself a foodie per say, but on any visit to a new city, I'm going to do a fairly extensive search with regards to where I would like to eat, if its a city with a Michelin guide I'm going to seek out one of those restaurants; or choose based on James Beard awards/nominations. My husband thinks that a lot of these outings are over rated and over priced, but he continues to indulge me. I'm also from a caribbean country with lots of diversity in its ethnic makeup which is reflected in our food. All of that just to say that I believe I have a fairly diverse palate.

On our recent 15 day cruise we ate at Chef's Table 5 times, each time we experienced a different menu. Of the 5, there were 2 that we would really like to do again (we would have repeated them, but we had both menus on the final night of the rotation), 2 that if we were onboard again we would do if those menus were what was being offered on the nights we had reservations and 1...was just horrible, never would I eat it again, the balance of the spices in most everything was off. When we sail Viking again, we will definitely reserve Chef's Table again. Now to your questions:

This was my first Viking cruise, so I diligently researched beforehand, I downloaded menus, cocktail menus, etc..I found 2 Chef's Table menus from a Viking Star menus thread which was started in 2015, they appear to be identical to two of the menus that we had onboard. It would seem to me that the original menus are still in rotation.

There was some element of foam in every menu that we had.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that Chef's Table was a 'filling' experience, rudychance suggested a heavy lunch, your idea of room service is a good one...we typically had early dinner reservations, after Chef's Table we would go to the World Cafe for a bit of sushi, or something from the seafood bar.

rudychance's suggestion of making reservations and then cancelling or moving them around once onboard, is sound. The only issue is that a menu may sound good on paper and be a complete failure once executed. Of the two menus I downloaded before my cruise one sounded really great, the other not so much...the reality was quite the opposite.

I hope this helps.

I must be weird because when we ate at the chef’s table on the star cruise in June, I was very filled . Yes, the menu is very different and not everyone would like it. My husband happened to love it. What’s nice about Viking is that you can cancel a reservation if the menu isn’t to your liking. Happy cruising everyone

My wife and I have been on two previous VO cruises (the first being The Viking Homelands and the second The West Indies). Our first experience on the Homelands cruise with the Chef's Table was, to us, highly disappointing. We had a total of three reservations and 'toughed it out' through 1 1/2 meals. The experience left such an impression that we declined dinning there on our followup cruise in the West Indies.

Dear Etexvrc

I now exactly what you are saying about Chef's Table and agree with you 100%. My partner and I were quite surprised how unpleasant some of the dishes were. There was one tuna(?) dish where the spice was so odd when we tasted it, we did not like it one bit - it tasted like it was doused in some cheap perfume - I nearly fell off my chair at the shock of having such terrible item in my mouth!

(See my report on 7 day cruise under this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2576451&page=3 ) .

I reported on that thread that we had one more reservations at the Chef's Table but cancelled it. Actually, we had TWO remaining reservations at the Chef's Table and we cancelled both of them.

I think the cooking at that restaurant is a bit of a "MARMITE", you either like it or hate it. (Does the chef like to shock his guests or treat us like his Guinea Pigs having to test his strange concoctions? Surely not!!??) It shouldn't be like that. The chef should design dishes there are not so extreme and divide diners. For us, the Chef's Table may be a "speciality" restaurant but unfortunately, it was "special" NOT for right reasons!!!

Apart from Chef's Table which we think Viking should improved, or better still, replaced , we feel that the quality of entertainment and on board activities could be improved as well. This latter is especially important because Viking is introducing more and more cruises with many sea days (your South America and Chilean Fjords cruise is one) , instead of its earlier cruises with which are more port intensive (eg Caribbean, Homelands, the Baltic, and the Mediterranean cruises). Even if you are one of those who would enjoy doing "nothing", there are only so many "nothing" days you can endure before you feel maybe a bit of recreation or good entertainment would not go amiss while at sea.

Like yourselves, we also like the rest of Viking. We still think there are a lot more good things with it than bad things, won't you say? Think you would agree or you won't have made all these advanced bookings to cruise with Viking.

Edited by Cahpek

Dear Etexvrc

I now exactly what you are saying about Chef's Table. My partner and I were quite shocked how bad some of the dishes were. There was one tuna dish where the spice was so odd when we tasted it, we did not like it one bit - it tasted like it was doused in some cheap perfume - I nearly fell off my chair at the shock of having such terrible item in my mouth!

(See my report on 7 day cruise under this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2576451&page=3 ) .

I reported on that thread that we had one more reservations at the Chef's Table but cancelled it. Actually, we had TWO remaining reservations at the Chef's Table and we cancelled both of them.

I think the cooking at that restaurant is a bit of a "MARMITE", you either like it or hate it. It shouldn't be like that. The chef should design dishes there are not so extreme and divide diners. For us, Chef's Table is a "speciality" restaurant but unfortunately, it was "special" not for right reasons!!!

Apart from Chef's Table which we think Viking should improve or change, we feel that the quality of entertainment and on board activities could be improved as well. This latter is especially important because Viking is introducing more and more cruises with many sea days , instead of its earlier cruises with which are more port intensive (eg Caribbean, Homelands, the Baltic, and the Mediterranean cruises).

Like yourself/yourselves, we also like the rest of Viking. We still think there are a lot more good things with it than bad things, won't you say? Think you would agree or you won't have made all these advanced bookings with Viking.

We were on the Star June cruise and we had a terrific time after dinner listening to the music in the foyer. Then the shows which were great and afterwards, music in the evening nightclub. During the day, my husband enjoyed listening to the guest speakers. What was nice about the guest speakers was that you could sit with them at any time if you had questions.

We were on the Star June cruise and we had a terrific time after dinner listening to the music in the foyer. Then the shows which were great and afterwards, music in the evening nightclub. During the day, my husband enjoyed listening to the guest speakers. What was nice about the guest speakers was that you could sit with them at any time if you had questions.

If you think those shows were good, you may find that shows on other cruises are several times better , and more enjoyable. No kidding.

If you think those shows are good, you may find that shows on other cruises are several times better , and more enjoyable.

I’ve been on other cruises and I liked them but they didn’t have the beautiful piano player, the three who played multiple instruments or the guitar player. They also didn’t have the guest speakers

I’ve been on other cruises and I liked them but they didn’t have the beautiful piano player, the three who played multiple instruments or the guitar player. They also didn’t have the guest speakers

They have something like that, if not identical but they have more.

Take Holland America for example, they have the Lincoln Center sent newly qualified students to form a "quintet" with a pianist and four other instrumentalists performed classical music sessions serveral times daily. And their theatre shows were so much more professional than on Viking- on our last Viking cruise, the theatre show like some kind of a High School Amateur production - plus only 4 performers, where on many other ships, they have 6-8 performers. Like Torshavn on Vikinghave their band music , HAL also have their musical band music too, and at another venue , a pianist to play bar piano music. On top of that, there were talks, PLUS Cooking classes AND a Microsoft Computer workshop which offered free lessons on several subjects on computer and internet usage several times a day.

On Oceania, they did not have a Trio, but they have a Quartet and they performed at the afternoon tea buffet daily, and then , I think at the atrium or somewhere on the ship. Think they also had a pianist. They also had free Art Classes. Talks are quite "standard" on almost all cruise lines these days.

On another cruise line on our South American cruise, they had Broadway Shows/Guest Artists, A Classical Guitarist (with his own show in another venue), and a South American Harpist (with his own show at yet another venue). Not to mention the Pianist in the bar. On top of that, they had free art classes, PLUS free Spanish Classes (both beginners and moderate level). Plus free Cooking demonstrations and other classes. And of course, their talks

We feel Viking has a plenty of GOOD, or should we say VERY GOOD things about the cruise line. But it is NOT STRONG on entertainment/ on board activities - and not strong on the cuisine offered at the Chef's Table either. THAT DOES NOT MEAN VIKING WILL NOT IMPROVE IN THOSE AREAS. In fact, we hope they will get better. Of course, your views may differ.

Edited by Cahpek

Actually, about Chef's Table, I won't say it is not strong, rather, it is quite "divisive" - it tends to divide opinions of guests who have tasted the cuisine there. Probably it generates more divisive opinions than most restaurants would

Here is a post from the Chef’s table thread that I think responds to Shoalwater’s post. I for one would love cooking classes, computer classes, bridge or language lessons on sea days. My husband would love photography workshops. Hopefully Viking is monitoring these threads and will take up some of these ideas for long cruises.

“Take Holland America for example, they have the Lincoln Center sent newly qualified students to form a "quintet" with a pianist and four other instrumentalists performed classical music sessions serveral times daily. And their theatre shows were so much more professional than on Viking- on our last Viking cruise, the theatre show like some kind of a High School Amateur production - plus only 4 performers, where on many other ships, they have 6-8 performers. Like Torshavn on Vikinghave their band music , HAL also have their musical band music too, and at another venue , a pianist to play bar piano music. On top of that, there were talks, PLUS Cooking classes AND a Microsoft Computer workshop which offered free lessons on several subjects on computer and internet usage several times a day.

On Oceania, they did not have a Trio, but they have a Quartet and they performed at the afternoon tea buffet daily, and then , I think at the atrium or somewhere on the ship. Think they also had a pianist. They also had free Art Classes. Talks are quite "standard" on almost all cruise lines these days.

On another cruise line on our South American cruise, they had a Classical Quartet, Broadway Shows/Guest Artists, A Classical Guitarist (with his own show), and a South American Harpist (with his own show). Not to mention the Pianist in the bar. On top of that, they had free art classes, PLUS free Spanish Classes (both beginners and moderate level). Plus free Cooking demonstrations and other classes. And of course, their talks.”

Here is a post from the Chef’s table thread that I think responds to Shoalwater’s post. I for one would love cooking classes, computer classes, bridge or language lessons on sea days. My husband would love photography workshops. Hopefully Viking is monitoring these threads and will take up some of these ideas for long cruises.

“Take Holland America for example, they have the Lincoln Center sent newly qualified students to form a "quintet" with a pianist and four other instrumentalists performed classical music sessions serveral times daily. And their theatre shows were so much more professional than on Viking- on our last Viking cruise, the theatre show like some kind of a High School Amateur production - plus only 4 performers, where on many other ships, they have 6-8 performers. Like Torshavn on Vikinghave their band music , HAL also have their musical band music too, and at another venue , a pianist to play bar piano music. On top of that, there were talks, PLUS Cooking classes AND a Microsoft Computer workshop which offered free lessons on several subjects on computer and internet usage several times a day.

On another cruise line on our South American cruise, they had a Classical Quartet, Broadway Shows/Guest Artists, A Classical Guitarist (with his own show), and a South American Harpist (with his own show). Not to mention the Pianist in the bar. On top of that, they had free art classes, PLUS free Spanish Classes (both beginners and moderate level). Plus free Cooking demonstrations and other classes. And of course, their talks.”

I do hope that Viking will be able to maintain the identity that they chose for their cruise line. We found it absolutely delightful. If others prefer cruise lines with more classes, more shows, more activities packed in the day, those are already available. Isn't it possible that there is a place for a low key, conversation driven, history and culture focused cruise line?

It is the same with the Chef's Table. If that venue is not your cup of tea, there are several other excellent places to have your meals on board. One of our two meals there was really exceptional, and the other was good. We enjoyed the experience both times.

If Viking discovers over time that there are not enough passengers looking for the enviromnent that we so enjoyed, then the market will dictate some changes.For the time being, I hope they will continue as they have begun.

Dear Etexvrc

I now exactly what you are saying about Chef's Table and agree with you 100%. My partner and I were quite surprised how unpleasant some of the dishes were. There was one tuna(?) dish where the spice was so odd when we tasted it, we did not like it one bit - it tasted like it was doused in some cheap perfume - I nearly fell off my chair at the shock of having such terrible item in my mouth!......

I know the one you mean. It upset my wife's stomach for 3 days to a point she could barely keep food down :(. I liked it!:eek:

I do hope that Viking will be able to maintain the identity that they chose for their cruise line. We found it absolutely delightful. If others prefer cruise lines with more classes, more shows, more activities packed in the day, those are already available. Isn't it possible that there is a place for a low key, conversation driven, history and culture focused cruise line?

It is the same with the Chef's Table. If that venue is not your cup of tea, there are several other excellent places to have your meals on board. One of our two meals there was really exceptional, and the other was good. We enjoyed the experience both times.

If Viking discovers over time that there are not enough passengers looking for the enviromnent that we so enjoyed, then the market will dictate some changes.For the time being, I hope they will continue as they have begun.

Viking could follow the route where they can have the best of both worlds.

Those of you who prefer low key atmosphere can continue to do so.

That does not mean Viking should not introduce better yet tasteful on board entertainment and activities

Why is it that just because you do not want what some others want, you would "hope" that Viking will not improve to attract those other guests as well? It is like someone who is a Vegan and prevents the restaurant to introduce meat in its menu eventhough Vegan dishes continue to be there. Every paying guest should be allowed to enjoy being on Viking, it should not be restricted just to those who prefer to do little or "nothing".

Besides, how is having Photography , Spanish or Art classes, or Cooking demos, or better quality more professional entertainment in the theatre, going to affect your "low key" environment on the ship? It just doesn't.

Surely, those like yourself who enjoy low key atmosphere can still cruise side by side with others who enjoy a bit more recreation and entertainment. You are not forced to take part in those recreational activities or attend those entertainment/shows if you do not want to, no one is forcing you.

At the same time, you should also allow others to enjoy Viking but with a little more to do and be entertained.

That is call give and take.

As the nature of Viking Ocean cruises changes, as it takes on more sea-day cruises rather than just its original port intensive cruises, it would only be natural for more guests to ask for more things to do or be entertained at sea. And if Viking is smart, they will improve to accommodate them. The worst thing Viking can do is do nothing to improve themselves. ALL DYNAMIC & SUCCESSFUL COMPANIES NEED TO CHANGE AS IT EXPANDS IN THE MARKETPLACE . Otherwise, they get left behind. As Viking is expanding to more than DOUBLE its fleet size by 2023 with 10 ships, it will need to attract even MORE GUESTS, not fewer. Just depending on the existing Viking guests (and even not all existing guests want a "nothing" to do ocean cruise) will not fill all those extra ships coming to the fleet.

Edited by Cahpek

And let me clarify... I am happy on my upcoming Homelands cruise for two weeks to enjoy the entertainment they provide, which I like very much. But on our 2019 WC we are gone for over 4 months, with three stretches of sea days of 6+ days I would like some daytime activities.

And on our last cruise we had two great meals at Chef’s Table. Despite my lifelong commitment never to eat Bambi, I actually tried the reindeer consommé.

And let me clarify... I am happy on my upcoming Homelands cruise for two weeks to enjoy the entertainment they provide, which I like very much. But on our 2019 WC we are gone for over 4 months, with three stretches of sea days of 6+ days I would like some daytime activities.

And on our last cruise we had two great meals at Chef’s Table. Despite my lifelong commitment never to eat Bambi, I actually tried the reindeer consommé.

Perhaps you should write to TellUs@VikingCruises.com and tell them about your wishes for more entertainment for your 2019 WC?. At least, with the cruise still some time away, there is time for Viking to plan and add those activities if they respond to wishes like guests like you. That would actually be better than just hoping that Viking reads these threads and comments on CruiseCritic.

Just misread your message. Think you wanted more activities on your 2019 WC ( rather than entertainment) . In any case, you can still write to Viking at TellUs@VikingCruises.com . Inform them what you would wish on the cruise, and maybe they might respond to your wishes. You'd never know if you did not ask !

I most certainly understand that a World Cruise is a whole different adventure. Additional activities for that length of time, with that many sea days, would be essential.

Viking could follow the route where they can have the best of both worlds.

Those of you who prefer low key atmosphere can continue to do so.

That does not mean Viking should not introduce better yet tasteful on board entertainment and activities

Why is it that just because you do not want what some others want, you would "hope" that Viking will not improve to attract those other guests as well? It is like someone who is a Vegan and prevents the restaurant to introduce meat in its menu eventhough Vegan dishes continue to be there. Every paying guest should be allowed to enjoy being on Viking, it should not be restricted just to those who prefer to do little or "nothing".

Besides, how is having Photography , Spanish or Art classes, or Cooking demos, or better quality more professional entertainment in the theatre, going to affect your "low key" environment on the ship? It just doesn't.

Surely, those like yourself who enjoy low key atmosphere can still cruise side by side with others who enjoy a bit more recreation and entertainment. You are not forced to take part in those recreational activities or attend those entertainment/shows if you do not want to, no one is forcing you.

At the same time, you should also allow others to enjoy Viking but with a little more to do and be entertained.

That is call give and take.

As the nature of Viking Ocean cruises changes, as it takes on more sea-day cruises rather than just its original port intensive cruises, it would only be natural for more guests to ask for more things to do or be entertained at sea. And if Viking is smart, they will improve to accommodate them. The worst thing Viking can do is do nothing to improve themselves. ALL DYNAMIC & SUCCESSFUL COMPANIES NEED TO CHANGE AS IT EXPANDS IN THE MARKETPLACE . Otherwise, they get left behind. As Viking is expanding to more than DOUBLE its fleet size by 2023 with 10 ships, it will need to attract even MORE GUESTS, not fewer. Just depending on the existing Viking guests (and even not all existing guests want a "nothing" to do ocean cruise) will not fill all those extra ships coming to the fleet.

Now, perhaps our difference of opinion is just a matter of degree, or more likely we will never see eye to eye. Of course, I did not say I want a "nothing to do" cruise, nor that I hope Viking will never improve. If you truly are just looking for "a little more to do", then I am probably over-reacting.

Even if Viking changed considerably, as you pointed out, no one would be "forcing " me to take part in activities. That would be true even on a mass market line like Princess or Celebrity. If there was a casino, I would not have to go in it. If there was a water slide or bumper cars or a rock climbing wall, I would not have to participate. But then, somehow, I don't think that would be the atmosphere that so appeals to me about Viking.

If Viking closed off half of the Explorer's Lounge so that they could put in a compter lab and a photography classroom and an art studio, I am sure there would be people who would love that. But I would not.

I love Viking not because there are so many things to do, but because there are so many that are just right for my husband and me. We never had trouble finding a beautiful, quite place on the ship to read. We met others who were doing the same, and were able to chat about books we have read. We attended almost all of the enrichment lectures by the resident historian and the guest lecturers, and then shared a shore excursion with one of the guest lectureres. Dinner every evening was quite lengthy, which was not a complaint at all, as it was lengthy because we sat and talked with some very interesting and friendly people. Some of them we met up with over and over. We did not do "nothing".

Lengthy cruises with many sea days would obviously be different. Viking has added some of those to their schedule, and will need to adjust to the needs of those types of trips. However, as far as I have seen, Viking remains focused on port intensive itineraries.

Your analogy about the Vegan restaurant, I think, illustrates our basic difference of opionion. You complain that the Vegan is trying to stop the restaurant from serving meat. I think, most all of the restaurants in the world serve meat. Why can't there be one that is just Vegan?

We just love The Chef’s Table, it’s our very favorite part of a Viking cruise! We had 5 menus on our recent trip: 2 were exceptional, 2 were very good, and 1 was only fair. Still, the experience with the wines and the gorgeous plating make for a wonderful evening, even with the rare weak menu.

Following these Chef's Table comments here, plus on other threads, with interest. We have our first VO cruise coming up soon, and are looking forward to trying all the dining venues on-board. Based on all the postings I've read so far, it certainly seems that the menu rotation plays a role. And then there's the matter of taste... and clearly, some really enjoy Chef's Table, and others frankly seem to hate it. We'll judge for ourselves, but we do enjoy this type of cuisine (not every night, but on occasion). I like the fact that Viking offers a variety of dining options.

We have twice been on Viking Oceans and we really do like the Chef’s Table - it is a peaceful place and you can usually get reservations on board for all of the menu rotations as it is not as popular as Manfredi’s - it is a creative restaurant with small portions but we always feel we have had enough and enjoy the wine pairings too. There are plenty of alternative places to eat for those who do not like the concept. I had an allergy to one course and they were more than happy to make something special for me. We do not really like The Restaurant as it can be crowded with spotty service - the food is very similar to the World Cafe which can be a pleasant and quiet environment in the evening when all the other restaurants are open. We give everywhere a go when we get on board and then shape our time afterwards. We always book as many Manfredi’s as possible as early as possible - it gets difficult to get ad hoc tables as the Cruise gets found unless you are willing to eat at 6.00 which is a bit early for us.

• 2 weeks later...

My sisters and I just returned from the Viking Star. We ate in the Chef's Table one night. Two of us enjoyed the set menu concept and one did not-but I think it was more the concept of not being able to choose that she didn't like;} The menu on the night we went was titled "Sweet and Salty" here;s the menu to give you an idea:

Amouse Bouche

Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho

First Course

Grilled Scallop with beet root and passion fruit

Granita

Prosciutto & melon

Main Course

Veal Ternderloin with pumpkin & red onion marmalade

Dessert

Strawberry & Basil Delight with Grand Marnier Cream, basil jelly and black Hawaiian lava salt

Bread Basket and wine paired with course

optional upsell for finer wines

Smaller portions as in a fine dining restaurant

Manfredi's was AMAZING! Large portions and the Bisteca Florentina and Grand Marnier Souffle- I'm still dreaming of that meal

We personally loved the Chef's Table. My husband is a meat and potato type guy and I was a bit nervous on how he would react. I was pleasantly surprised that he enjoyed it so we made other reservations. If a hearty meal is what you want and expect don't go but don't bash the place. It just isn't your cup of tea. Personally, we didn't enjoy Manfredi's but we never said a thing to anyone up until now. We quietly didn't make another reservation. It is up to every guest to form their own opinion and not go in with a preconceived idea that someone didn't like it. We know that everyone has different wants,expectations and taste.

I guess what is truly bothering me is that the OP stated he/she toughed it out for 1 1/2 meals and to me that means he left in the middle of a meal. It shocks me that someone would do that. If anything, go grab a bite to eat at the World Cafe afterwards.