Explorer & Mariner just sailed by each other

Subliminal

Hello to everyone currently aboard the Mariner.

We are currently onboard the Explorer and just got to see the Mariner sailing by. We are off the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic.

Out captain blew the horn a couple times to say hello and it near scared everybody at the pool half to death. It was neat to see another Regent ship while at sea though.

We didn’t hear it if he did.

Interesting. BTW, we have the only female Captain in the fleet. She is amazing - spends as much time as possible with passengers sharing stories, etc. I would love to sail with her on every cruise.

Having said that, we had an amazing cruise but we really miss Explorer!

Always fun to pass a sister ship. In 2003 on the Voyager during its maiden season, we passed Song of Flower in the Baltic. That's as close as we ever came to the Flower...not counting Dag's model in the Voyager lounge.

Then some years later we passed the Navigator in the Med while on Voyager. Being more maneuverable, the Voyager sailed a lap around Navigator before we carried on. I even managed to connect with a pax on the Navigator and we exchanged photos since we were both visible on our respective ships.

Greetings from Explorer, Everyone. My husband and I were out on our balcony yesterday when we saw another ship in the distance. Previously, NCL's Sun had been parallel to us, until it disappeared. When there was an elaborate exchange of blasts, quite the conversation, we realized the new vessel had to be special. Later, our butler told us it was the Mariner. Nice experience.

Mary

That was very nice of her to personally call you TC and let you know, especially so quickly ;);););););)

That would be a very untrue rumor! Captain Serena is around the ship whenever possible - speaking to any and all guests and is happy to answer questions such as the one that I had.

Always fun to pass a sister ship. In 2003 on the Voyager during its maiden season, we passed Song of Flower in the Baltic. That's as close as we ever came to the Flower...not counting Dag's model in the Voyager lounge.

Then some years later we passed the Navigator in the Med while on Voyager. Being more maneuverable, the Voyager sailed a lap around Navigator before we carried on. I even managed to connect with a pax on the Navigator and we exchanged photos since we were both visible on our respective ships.

On the Song's final voyage (aka the Song Swan Song), Voyager and Song sailed out of port together. There was an exchange of blasts, and the Voyager hung out a banner saying "Goodbye Little Sister." Passengers and crew members on both ships were out (in force) on both decks to wave farewell.

The Song of Flower was a very special ship. I feel privileged to have been able to sail her.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

"Interesting. BTW, we have the only female Captain in the fleet. She is amazing - spends as much time as possible with passengers sharing stories, etc"

Really don't believe that spending a lot of time with passengers is a plus. Captaining a ship is a 24/7 job and the Captain is ultimately in charge of everything on the ship and would prefer that the Captain spend their time on the bridge and working with their managers below them rather than spending lots of time with the passengers.

Never know when the Captain may be needed immediately while they are wandering the ship talking to the passengers. Truly believe this is a safety issue and one many of us would prefer wasn't touted.

"Interesting. BTW, we have the only female Captain in the fleet. She is amazing - spends as much time as possible with passengers sharing stories, etc"

Really don't believe that spending a lot of time with passengers is a plus. Captaining a ship is a 24/7 job and the Captain is ultimately in charge of everything on the ship and would prefer that the Captain spend their time on the bridge and working with their managers below them rather than spending lots of time with the passengers.

Never know when the Captain may be needed immediately while they are wandering the ship talking to the passengers. Truly believe this is a safety issue and one many of us would prefer wasn't touted.

You have to be kidding. Do you really think that standing on the bridge would make a difference. I guess she should sleep on the bridge so she is there 24/7.

You have to be kidding. Do you really think that standing on the bridge would make a difference. I guess she should sleep on the bridge so she is there 24/7.

Agree with you! The Staff Captain is more than capable of sharing duties with the Captain. They do need to have meals and sleep (and their suite is next to the bridge). In any case, the ship is typically docked several hours a day and it is nice when they interact with the guests.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly TC2 -- The Staff Captain is more than capable of all the tasks the captain has and is really a "captain in waiting"... On Regent especially (not so on Oceania...) the Captain has a HUGE PR job with guests and generally this is done very well. (I will never forget Knut...) From all I have heard Captain Serena is a wonderful woman and I am sure a very capable captain too or she would not be in the job she is in.

We were once on the Mariner, coming out of Stockholm through the archipelago and the Navigator sailed in. we were told in advance it would happen and loads of people on both ships were out on deck cheering. And of course much hooting went on! I thought at the time that Swedes in their summer cottages must have been quite startled by the noise.