Taking a Cafetiere on the cruise

annieuk

We have a long cruise coming up and I would love to be able to make a decent cup of coffee. I know some people have said they take a Cafetiere with them. What do they do with the coffee grounds? They can't be rinsed down the sink or the toilet as they would cause a blockage. In order to rinse out the cafetiere I assume the liquid has to be poured through some sort of filter, like a coffee filter bag in order to trap the used grounds so they can be put in the bin and the cafetiere rinsed out. I may be being rather stupid here but what do people do? I know some people take the Rombouts individual filters that sit on top of a cup and water is poured through but I don't like them much so I would like to take my own coffee. Last time I asked about coffee someone said drink tea - well I'd like to be able to make a decent cup of coffee in my cabin so I don't have to pay for a cup in Costa which is the only place on Aurora that I can get a half way decent cup of coffee. I'd love to hear what someone else has done.

I have a little aeropress gadget which makes a mug of coffee; you take a bag of ground coffee and some little round filter papers. The grounds and paper can be emptied into a waste bin leaving the aeropress to be rinsed out as very little remains on it in terms of coffee grounds. As long as you line the bin with a plastic carrier bag or similar it should be easy to empty.

I tried coffee bags but found them too weak.

I did see a post somewhere where someone posted they put the grounds down the toilet. Like you I think that may encourage blockages. One thing to bear in mind is that the water on-board may mean it doesn't taste exactly like it does at home,unless you are using bottled water. The suites have sensa?. Coffee machines that use the similar to tea bags bags.

Perhaps you could drain as much fluid as you can and then empty the grounds into a plastic bag and put into the bin? You can take a supply of sealable plastic bags with you.

Please don't shout me down for being unkind to the environment.....only an idea!

I read that years ago suites had cafetières but the grounds caused sink blockages so they removed them.

I use a cafetière at home so I’m with you on this, however taking one seems a bit of a faff. What I do is take Starbucks Via instant coffee sachets there are 12 in a box and I like them moe than regular instant coffee when you are in a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My girlfriend takes a small cafetière. I drink tea and we sometimes like to relax with a mid morning or afternoon drink in the cabin. I think she tries to drain the coffee grinds as much as possible and then empties them in to the bin. The cafetière is then rinsed in the sink.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps you could drain as much fluid as you can and then empty the grounds into a plastic bag and put into the bin? You can take a supply of sealable plastic bags with you.

Please don't shout me down for being unkind to the environment.....only an idea!

Sensible idea.

I read that years ago suites had cafetières but the grounds caused sink blockages so they removed them.

I use a cafetière at home so I’m with you on this, however taking one seems a bit of a faff. What I do is take Starbucks Via instant coffee sachets there are 12 in a box and I like them moe than regular instant coffee when you are in a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for that idea,i like Starbucks coffee so i will look out for them.

We shop in M&S and Morrisons but never noticed them.

Where do you buy them from?

Thanks.

Graham.

I would take a small cafetiere and small disposable spoons, drain as much water out as possible and spoon out the dregs into biodegradable poo bags to put in the bin. I find those bags very useful , not just for the dog !

If your cruise is fairly long , then individual filters are not really sensible , would take up too much room. I personally don't like coffee bags, not strong enough for me , but they are easy to pack and you could take a big supply.

Thanks for the replies. I don't like Rombouts coffee filter cups - not strong enough and I've tried coffee bags as recommended by someone on another forum but again they were not very strong. I certainly wouldn't empty coffee grounds down the toilet, would worry that they would cause a blockage - imagine being responsible for people not being able to use the toilets in their cabins just because I'd emptied coffee grounds down mine. I'll let you know next March how I get on!

Sainsburys do disposable Colombian coffee filters. Ten in a box each individually sealed, and they are flat. They have cardboard 'wings' which hook over the side of the cup. When used they pop back into the foil packet so no need to put down the sink/toilet etc.

Thanks for that idea,i like Starbucks coffee so i will look out for them.

We shop in M&S and Morrisons but never noticed them.

Where do you buy them from?

Thanks.

Graham.

I buy them from Starbucks [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums and I like string coffe (like cowboys drink!)

Clodia, thanks for your recommendation of the Aeropress. I've just looked at it online and I think it's just what I want. So I've ordered one and will take some small plastic bags with me to put the grounds in. This way I can choose the coffee I want, great.

It's wonderful to be one of the common herd who quite likes instant coffee, and am therefore quite happy not to have this problem, But for those who must have something approaching the real thing, there is always the Costa coffee shop on P&O.

Just my taste buds I am sure but I really don't like Costa coffee, nasty bitter stuff.

We take rumbouts style ready done filters but the M &S variety which are much stronger and better flavour and yes nappy sacks to tie them up in to avoid a mess in the bin for the steward.

Glad the op has got a solution that suits.

Just my taste buds I am sure but I really don't like Costa coffee, nasty bitter stuff.

We take rumbouts style ready done filters but the M &S variety which are much stronger and better flavour and yes nappy sacks to tie them up in to avoid a mess in the bin for the steward.

Glad the op has got a solution that suits.

If i want my coffee stronger i put less water into the Rombouts cup filter.

It's wonderful to be one of the common herd who quite likes instant coffee, and am therefore quite happy not to have this problem, But for those who must have something approaching the real thing, there is always the Costa coffee shop on P&O.

I'm with you on this - instant coffee is good. I do find however the water on board ships to seem a bit chlorinated or something similar which adds a slight unwanted taste.

Regards John

I'm with you on this - instant coffee is good. I do find however the water on board ships to seem a bit chlorinated or something similar which adds a slight unwanted taste.

Regards John

The only instant coffee i like is,

Nescafe Alta Rica.

We have a long cruise coming up and I would love to be able to make a decent cup of coffee. I know some people have said they take a Cafetiere with them. What do they do with the coffee grounds? They can't be rinsed down the sink or the toilet as they would cause a blockage. In order to rinse out the cafetiere I assume the liquid has to be poured through some sort of filter, like a coffee filter bag in order to trap the used grounds so they can be put in the bin and the cafetiere rinsed out. I may be being rather stupid here but what do people do? I know some people take the Rombouts individual filters that sit on top of a cup and water is poured through but I don't like them much so I would like to take my own coffee. Last time I asked about coffee someone said drink tea - well I'd like to be able to make a decent cup of coffee in my cabin so I don't have to pay for a cup in Costa which is the only place on Aurora that I can get a half way decent cup of coffee. I'd love to hear what someone else has done.

Nappy bags - you can put them in the bathroom waste bin and they are scented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk