Passport ... Hot Topic

CruiseGal999

WHY are questions regarding Passports, getting one/renewing it/bringing it or leaving it at home, create such hostility? Whenever a person starts a thread about passports ... it gets as heated as a gratuity/tipping thread!

Exactly, what is the opposition of obtaining/ maintaining and traveling WITH a passport?

WHY are questions regarding Passports, getting one/renewing it/bringing it or leaving it at home, create such hostility? Whenever a person starts a thread about passports ... it gets as heated as a gratuity/tipping thread!

Exactly, what is the opposition of obtaining/ maintaining and traveling WITH a passport?

Well, getting passports aren’t exactly cheap or easy. We have five kids, both parents need to be present, takes a couple of hours, and hundreds of dollars. It’s a pill to swallow since you technically don’t need passports for many cruises. BTW, we always do travel with them, just stating why some opt not to.

This subject also always baffles me. People will spend thousands of dollars on cruises, shore excursions, tipping etc. and then complain about spending $100 pp for something that will last 10 years and ensure you will be quickly returned home in the case of an emergency.

Anyway I guess to each his own.

So you started yet another thread about passports? :confused:

Yes. I am curious, specifically, the opposition people have with passports. Is it a big brother is watching/tracking me thing? Is it a 3rd reich "let me see your papers!" thing? I am wondering.

IF you ever get a really good answer to that question, please let us know. I've been here for years, read passport threads again and again and never gotten an answer to which I can attach any value. IMO If one is going to travel outside their country, geta passport, is my mantra. :) It makes no sense to me to refuse to get one.

This subject also always baffles me. People will spend thousands of dollars on cruises, shore excursions, tipping etc. and then complain about spending $100 pp for something that will last 10 years and ensure you will be quickly returned home in the case of an emergency.

Anyway I guess to each his own.

OH so true!!

I've held a valid passport ever since I started working. Being ever the optimist, I felt if I ever won the lottery, I was going to hop on a plane and take off to parts unknown, and knew I'd need a passport if I wanted to travel. When our son came along, we made sure to have one for him well, because we wanted to be able to travel with him, rather than leaving him behind. The cost of passports has increased over the years, but it's part of the cost of travel. Now that we have 10 year passports, it's a travel bargain that works out to $16 per year.

BTW, I'm still waiting for that lottery win . . .

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Some love 'em...some hate 'em....if you're not going someplace that requires them, why spend the $$$?

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

To get OUT of a country in case of emergency. To get OUT of any trouble you might happen into in a country during your travels. Just common sense.

It is the "self reliance, personal responsibility" personalities vs the "someone else will save me" personalities clash.

I can see that. The OCD (me) vs. The Procrastinators or Happy Go Luckies/Rose Colored Glasses. I get that. I don't agree ... clearly .... me, the OCD type.

I have participated in many threads regarding passports and I've actually seen more hostility expressed towards those suggesting that one can, under certain circumstances, travel without a passport. And this thread is a great example of that- everyone is expressing angst about those who choose not to use a passport, and sometimes outright hostility, including yourself. Why is that? Someone's decision to travel without a passport affects no one else. At all. It is a legal, legitimate choice to make. The fact is that everyone's travel needs are different. Some need a passport for the type of travel that they do, some don't. It really is as simple as that.

Edited by sparks1093

When people travel without adequate travel documents and ID, it does affect all of the people traveling behind them. Those people have to wait longer, because one person didn't bring what was requested and is required.

The arguing by the anti-passport people, including some who purport to be travel professionals :rolleyes: , always surprises me. They will go to lengths, to convince the person asking for advice that they don't need a passport, even when the person has already ordered one. :o

When people travel without adequate travel documents and ID, it does affect all of the people traveling behind them. Those people have to wait longer, because one person didn't bring what was requested and is required.

The arguing by the anti-passport people, including some who purport to be travel professionals :rolleyes: , always surprises me. They will go to lengths, to convince the person asking for advice that they don't need a passport, even when the person has already ordered one. :o

I am talking about people who travel with adequate travel documents, just someone using something other than a passport. I've don't recall seeing anyone trying to convince someone that they don't need a passport, I have seen many people (including myself) outlining what the requirements are and telling people to make up their own minds.

Except there are circumstances when adequate travel and documentation does NOT require a passport. Because if it did, you’d just get it. And if it’s not required, it does not hold up anyone!!!

I think it’s an inconvenience thing as much as $$$. We have one for the adults, but for the kids we decided against due to inconvenience mentioned above of both parents, cost, only valid 5 years vs. 10, and not sure how often it will be used (we’re more likely to use than them). We don’t travel all that often internationally, less so with them. There are risks, we know, our risks we are assuming. And we’ll consider as we go more exotic or as our teens become adults, but it’s worked for us. Remember not everyone is paying thousands for a cruise or if they are it doesn’t leave much extra.

Remember CC people tend to be Type A planners/OCD. And want to cover “just in case” with a passport. I have no problem with that. But my point of view is just as valid, all I’m saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a "hot topic" because people are emotionally invested in their own point of view and CANNOT IMAGINE how on this earth any rational person could POSSIBLY come to any other conclusion.

On the other hand, a few people are able to express their opinion, give the salient points of their reasoning, and then not give a fig about what anyone else does. I'm in the "no figs" camp.

It's a "hot topic" because people are emotionally invested in their own point of view and CANNOT IMAGINE how on this earth any rational person could POSSIBLY come to any other conclusion.

On the other hand, a few people are able to express their opinion, give the salient points of their reasoning, and then not give a fig about what anyone else does. I'm in the "no figs" camp.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's the same with many aspects of cruising.

Spends thousands for a cruise, but don't want to spend the money for passports.

Want the barebones parking, even if risking safety of the cruisers and the car.

Want cheapest hotel, and smashes 4 into a room for 2, again they don't seem to care what part of town it is in.

Plans ahead of time how they will "share" a drink package, and even tells us about it.

Stiffs the employees by removing gratuity, and again they love telling us about it.

Just to name the ones that come to mind the most.

If you feel the need for all the above, truly due to financial issues, cruising might not be the best vacation choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to stay in a $400 a night hotel, but I will find one in a nice part of town. If parking is too high, we look at renting cars one way, also saves on wear and tear of you own vehicle. We compare, but we stay safe.

It's the same with many aspects of cruising.

Spends thousands for a cruise, but don't want to spend the money for passports.

Want the barebones parking, even if risking safety of the cruisers and the car.

Want cheapest hotel, and smashes 4 into a room for 2, again they don't seem to care what part of town it is in.

Plans ahead of time how they will "share" a drink package, and even tells us about it.

Stiffs the employees by removing gratuity, and again they love telling us about it.

Just to name the ones that come to mind the most.

If you feel the need for all the above, truly due to financial issues, cruising might not be the best vacation choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to stay in a $400 a night hotel, but I will find one in a nice part of town. If parking is too high, we look at renting cars one way, also saves on wear and tear of you own vehicle. We compare, but we stay safe.

For me, it's not always about not being able to afford to cruise, but knowing most of us don't have unlimited resources. So, I can see thinking about saving maybe several hundred on passports for a family that could be spending on an excursion. For one night, I'd take the lesser hotel to save a little.

I am actually one of the more cautious ones, we have passports. And I'm no talking things like not paying the tips or sharing drink packages. But I do understand the thought process.

Edited by LH25
spelling

Note before I start. We have passports and have had them for many years. Just got our 4th? set last year.

But, we once took seven grandchildren on a cruise, ages 5-11. We did not buy them passports simply because of the money issue. Although we got a very good price on the cruise, we still had airfare from Nebraska, for nine people! two nights hotel and other various expenses.

Adding 7 passports to that was just too much. So, for us, it was an economic decision. Of course we knew there was a (slight) risk that something would happen, but in this case we were willing to take that risk.

Cruising is more expensive than it would seem at the outset to a first timer. What looks like $449 for a week-long vacation soon is revealed to be far, far more. Port charges, gratuities, beverages, special restaurant charges, insurance, parking, airfare, shore excursions and pre-cruise hotels are just a few of the extra charges that come to mind. So people economize where they can. If the American government says its fine to travel in the Caribbean without a passport, then many travelers will take their word for it and save the money. Others don't feel comfortable with that, so they get (or already have) a passport.

I agree its confirmation bias for some.