New York City Hotels

cccer

Hi Everyone,

We are going to be on the Horizon leaving July 23 and want to spend a few nights in New York before the cruise. Airfare is booked into LGA. I have done a lot of searching here and tripadvisor and there are a lot of options.

My wife and I would like to do the Freedom Tower and Statue of Liberty and are looking for a good location convenient to attractions and good dining. We probably are not interested in public transportation so will Uber it around or take a cab. We used to live in Chicago so are not very worried about getting around a big city but just looking for a good location at a decent price. Looking at around $250 a night.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

You're in luck - there're a lot of properties available in your price range for July 20-23. You should book a cancellable reservation now to lock in an acceptable option.

I'd target the midtown west area. You're flying into LGA and sailing from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, so staying in midtown makes more sense. New York is a walking city, so midtown will position you well for restaurants and tourist attractions.

However the Statue of Liberty and Freedom tower are in lower Manhattan. The are certainly accessible via Uber, but almost all of the downtown subways from midtown can quickly and efficiently transport you to lower Manhattan for the day.

Look at united.com, Marriott.com, and Hilton.com for hotel options. Springhill Suites and the Fairfield Inn on W 37th St meet your budget. As a Marriott Rewards member Springhill is $709.33 tax included cancellable and Fairfield Inn is $690.97 tax included cancellable. Hilton properties are running a bit more for your dates. Book a placeholder reservation right now while you consider your options.

Another option would be to stay in the Financial District. There’s no reason to stay in midtown if all the sights you want to visit are in Financial District. You probably could walk from your hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good strategy too. However, it depends on what the OP wants to see beyond the SOL and Freedom tower. If Times Square, Empire State, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and any of the big name museums are on their list, then a central location in midtown will provide that as well as the hustle and bustle of NYC that will be missing downtown on a summer weekend.

Thanks for the great advise everyone. We booked the Springhill Suites in the Midtown area. It's a refundable rate so I can always find something else but it looks like it's in a good location so I'm thinking we will just stay with this one.

To go from your hotel to SOL and other sites downtown the subway would be quicker than Uber at almost any time of day those sites are open. NYC Subway is slightly different then Chicago that concentrates on getting people to central area Chicago. If this is the hotel on W 37th it's an easy walk to West 34th and Broadway for the R/W to Whitehall for the SOL.

• 2 months later...

Everyone should always have a Plan A and a Plan B. Subway is fine and dandy if it’s running properly. But yesterday there were signal delays and subway was shut down on many lines for hours. Yes subway is quicker but for those unaccustomed to urban travel uber is worth it sometimes. Just know your comfort level.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums