Day of boarding and dining rooms

CQG67

I know this is silly question but what is MDR & HC We are coming from canada and travelling all night ,,no food.. we arrive at 7 in morning, going straight to ship will be needing any thing to eat lol before we fall asleep .

It is unlikely that you will be able to board much before midday so you might want to find a cafe for some sustenance to tide you over until you get on board.

I have however had some cruises where no MDR was open, I understand it was due to travel agent function.

I haven't see that one ...yet.

We always board early & head off to the buffet since it's never crowded and doesn't take a hour + to have a simple meal.

We enjoy unpacking everything & getting settled before muster.

Not sure what all the fuss is over getting into the MDR for lunch after you have just gotten on the ship..

For me it's more about avoiding the chaotic buffet. The MDR beef medallions and a beer have marked the start of every cruise since we found out the MDR "secret" lunch spot.

Quick thank you to everyone on CC who had mentioned that the MDR is open. We were welcomed onboard and told to head to the HC if we wanted some lunch. We went to the MDR per the tips here and enjoyed a nice quiet lunch before heading up to the Lido Deck to see just about everyone eating there.

What was your opinion of Crown?

Our 4th time on Crown and all was fine. Staff was happy & friendly: always with a smile & greeting. Food was quite good; Chefs Table exceptional; as usual, really enjoyed Pub Lunch, Crown Grill, & International Cafe. Still didn’t really care for Magic to Do (2nd time to see); other entertainment was just ok and not memorable; New Years Eve was ebullient with party hats too. Our CC M&G was very enjoyable as was sail away get together. Embarking and disembarkation we’re both a breeze.

Hope this helps; any other questions?

Folks can have their favorite lunch location on embarkation (I believe we are going to try the DR route this next time, but I have liked eating topside in the Florida sunshine in the past). But, trashing the buffet as crazy or a zoo or whatever is a little overboard IMO. If one is on early, then it's a breeze and since people head to cabin first usually. I have seen it way busier on a sea day. At least at embarkation, the crowds are spread out some whereas on sea days, everyone seems to want to eat at about the same time. I have also been back into the HC on embarkation after an early lunch to grab something or other and still not found it too bad (lines at least if not the tables).

on day of boarding I know lunch is available in Horizon Court but I was told that one of the main dining rooms is open and serves sit down lunch. I don't recall ever seeing this onprevious cruises but I remember the last time on the Crown the line for Horizon was out into the hall with the elevators. It was ridiculous. Going to be on her Friday and was hoping for dining room.
SEE you there will e also be boarding Friday

But if you ask almost any staff member which dining room is open for lunch they will tell you to go to the buffet. The sit down lunch option is a secret for CC members! :cool:

It is also a secret that many of the staff do not know which is why they direct you to the buffet.

On one Princess cruise last year I spoke with an experienced Princess Cruise Director who was very surprised when I told him a dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day. He truly did not know that.

I am not so sure the staff really does not know about lunch in the MDR on boarding day. I think it is more they are told not to tell the secret that we on cc all enjoy. Whether they know or not, we all know and lunch in the MDR is really great instead of the cattle call up on the lido deck.

But, trashing the buffet as crazy or a zoo or whatever is a little overboard IMO.

I agree and I wasn't trying to "trash" the buffet. I was only saying I do find them chaotic on embarkation day when compared to the MDR. Doesn't mean the buffet isn't just fine and yes if on early, it's better and doing a drive-by to pick something up to take topside or cabin is no problem at all. It can be an issue to get a table on both embarkation and sea days at peak times.

The dinning room has always had a table for us at embarkation lunch, great service and the beef medallions have always been delightful.

I agree and I wasn't trying to "trash" the buffet. I was only saying I do find them chaotic on embarkation day when compared to the MDR. Doesn't mean the buffet isn't just fine and yes if on early, it's better and doing a drive-by to pick something up to take topside or cabin is no problem at all. It can be an issue to get a table on both embarkation and sea days at peak times.

The dinning room has always had a table for us at embarkation lunch, great service and the beef medallions have always been delightful.

You'll also find the beef medallions at the buffet on the Royal on some evenings,

I have a question on boarding that is related to the MDR times. Supposedly the Crown Princess has specified boarding times for the various decks. Our deck boarding time is AFTER the MDR is closed. Are they strict about getting there early and boarding ahead of your assigned time. They say it is because the cabin will not be ready however I don't really care about that. I would just explore the ship until the cabin is ready.

I have a question on boarding that is related to the MDR times. Supposedly the Crown Princess has specified boarding times for the various decks. Our deck boarding time is AFTER the MDR is closed. Are they strict about getting there early and boarding ahead of your assigned time. They say it is because the cabin will not be ready however I don't really care about that. I would just explore the ship until the cabin is ready.

They just tell people a staggered schedule in hopes they'll follow it to avoid crowds. Most people don't pay much attention to it & arrive whenever they feel like it.

Most likely your room will be ready & even if it's not, you can always drop off your carried luggage & be on your way. They'll lock up when their finished.

Thanks again and I get the point. The line doesn't get carried away encouraging you to eat in the dining room. Frankly on the 22 princess cruises I have been on I've never known it an option nor have I ever been told it was an option. Sure could have used it last year on the Crown when the buffet line was out the door and ridiculous. We may not board in time for the dining room option as we are driving about 5 hours to Lauderdale tomorrow morning and probably won't get to park n go until around 1. Yes sadly Alfredos is not available except on the Royal and Regal. Such a great place to have lunch. We do get to use the new terminal at pier 2 as we are the only ship in port that day. No major traffic and a sea of passengers.

The staff keeps it a secret - if you ask "where's lunch?", they only say Horizon Court, but if you ask "which dining room?", then they say which dining room is open, then immediately suggest you go to the Horizon Court instead.

That said, and I do mean this with all due respect, if you didn't know it was an option, it's your fault for not reading the Patter you receive in your stateroom. As soon as we learned it was an option, we've realized it's always been printed in the Patter. And now with Club Class, it presumably makes it a little easier to predict which MDR they use (always the CC-enabled MDR).

The staff keeps it a secret - if you ask "where's lunch?", they only say Horizon Court, but if you ask "which dining room?", then they say which dining room is open, then immediately suggest you go to the Horizon Court instead.

That said, and I do mean this with all due respect, if you didn't know it was an option, it's your fault for not reading the Patter you receive in your stateroom. As soon as we learned it was an option, we've realized it's always been printed in the Patter. And now with Club Class, it presumably makes it a little easier to predict which MDR they use (always the CC-enabled MDR).

Who takes the time to read the patter when getting to the room? LOL :D:D

I usually don't get to that until dinner time to see when the show begins.

Who takes the time to read the patter when getting to the room? LOL :D:D

I usually don't get to that until dinner time to see when the show begins.

I'm not saying read the patter when you get to the room. I'm saying grab the patter when you get to the room, go to the MDR for lunch, and read the patter for what's offered "today" so you can realize that this is a normal thing. ;)

I'm not saying read the patter when you get to the room. I'm saying grab the patter when you get to the room, go to the MDR for lunch, and read the patter for what's offered "today" so you can realize that this is a normal thing. ;)

I know. :)

The only thing I don't know about is when the main show starts in the show lounge. The rest of the items in the patter are always the same. Lunch, muster, dinner.

On Princess' FAQ for 1st Day Dining: https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion.

(emphasis mine)

Not only is the location listed in the Patter, but it's on the website. Staff should have no issue directing you to it when directly asked.

One time, we (4 people arriving well before closing time) were told at embarkation lunch MDR, that lunch there was ONLY for transit passengers! However, I was armed with both the info from the Princess website concerning embarkation lunch in MDR and the Patter showing lunch was there. The hostess at the door had us wait a moment while she asked someone...then came back to seat the 4 of us. Very few people in MDR that day.

We always enjoy the quiet atmosphere of this lunch as it’s a way for us to unwind from “travel-frenzy” and to feel like we’re finally on vacation! Have always arrived with paperwork showing access to this dining is “allowed” to avoid missing it. We have been on 2 cruises where embarkation MDR wasn’t open to any passengers due to special events occurring prior to cruise departure.