What would you like to see on Virgin Voyages

crusinthrough

I'm really excited by VV, and hopefully it can provide something lacking on most cruise lines. We've been cruising for 20+ years now and have been watching cruise line head toward the bottom. Maybe its the accounting firms in all those companies, but the trend certainly has been to make the cruise just about free, and then charge you for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

When we cruised 20 years ago we started on Royal Caribbean and it was fantastic. Everything with few exceptions was free once you paid for the cruise. They even had one or two midnight buffets which took the crew days to accomplish. All the food was everything you wanted, included.

What I would LOVE to see was a cruise with everything included, including gratuities, reasonable excursions, all dining, all drinks, at least at dinner, and generally a casual atmosphere. I'm not saying I want lots of excess, just a really nice cruise where people can relax, and not have to worry if they need to pay for this and that. Why not even include photos, you get all you digital pictures and say 10 printed pictures. And add in some good entertainment. That would be FABULOUS.

Charge what you have to to make this a reality. I'm not looking for budget, especially since most people have to end up paying for all these things ANYWAY, why not just charge in advance instead of the the day you depart?

What I describe here sounds pretty basic, but it is lacking in the cruise industry. Maybe Regents Seven Seas is the closest, but you want it to be much more casual. People can dress up if they like, maybe with a separate dining room, otherwise its casual.

Oh, Richard should visits the ships now and again. (If he can part with his island.:D )

Many upper market cruise lines have what you want and you pay for it upfront. No fee for special restaurants, or bottled water or wine and you are well taken care of each day. Forget the big lines and go with the smaller ships and a smaller amount of guests.Well worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many upper market cruise lines have what you want and you pay for it upfront. No fee for special restaurants, or bottled water or wine and you are well taken care of each day. Forget the big lines and go with the smaller ships and a smaller amount of guests.Well worth every penny.

I was thinking the same thing. Much of this is already available but you have to be willing and able to pay for it

V IKING INCLUSIVE VALUE

One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call

Unlimited free Wi-Fi

Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner

Multiple dining venues including alternative restaurant dining (no extra fee)

24-hour room service, specialty coffees, teas & bottled water

Top-rated spa and state-of-the-art fitness center access

Self-service launderette with iron/ironing board

All port taxes and fees

Airport transfers on embarkation/disembarkation day with purchase of Viking Air

Included features valued at $203 per person, per day

Their ships have all balcony rooms. If you want more than the included wine and beer, their beverage package is only $20 pp per day - or you can bring your own beer, wine, alcohol, soda with no restrictions or fees.

There are no activities for children. Anyone under 18 must have an adult in the room. There are no rooms for more than 2 people and no connecting rooms. And they reserve the right to restrict the number of people under 18. In other words - not family friendly.

THE most appealing to us is only 930 passengers on a ship the same size as many 2500 passenger ships. And their ships are gorgeous - at least IMO. No chair hogs because there are plenty to go around.

Viking is not alone. We are booked on Viking for our next 2 cruises, but I’m still looking at other lines. If Branson can combine all the great features of Viking for a mainstream price, I’ll give Virgin a try - even though I think the ship is ugly. I much prefer the classic lines of the Viking ships. And I’m not sure I want to sail with 2500+ again.

As another poster said, I also want a ship that’s less internally focused and more about connecting with the sea.

I’m not jumping on board just yet, but I am interested to see what Richard Branson will come up with.

I would love Steele drum music by the pool....nothing says Caribbean than Steele drum music which has disappeared on ships.

I would avoid the current trend of multi class ships.....it prevents class attitudes.i want increased socializing and less diversions preventing people from enjoying being at sea.

Look for me on the maiden voyage.....

The Viking experience sounds great, but my biggest concern is that they cater primarily to the retiree crowd. I would love for Virgin to offer similar features, only geared more towards the under-50 crowd who either doesn't have kids or wants to leave them at home.

Since the first Virgin ship is going to be adult-only, I think it's important they appeal to adults of all ages. Not just millennials, not just seniors, not just gen x, etc. Since they have already excluded the huge family market, they really need to ensure they don't exclude any adult demographic. So this means multiple music venues with a great variety, and the same goes for dining and entertainment. A quiet pool, an active pool, and perhaps an in-between pool with Caribbean style calypso music as Tom suggested. Also it's important to offer activities and amenities that appeal to singles and couples alike. Single cabins would be awesome along with lots of activities geared just towards singles, including group dinners so singles never have to be alone if they don't want to. The same goes for couples. Give them plenty to do as a couple to perhaps even rekindle a little romance. The spa needs to be extensive, as who doesn't love a great spa! I'm glad they are not doing the gimmicks. So no rock climbing walls, go-carts at sea, or slides. Go on Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean if you want that. A great nightclub would be awesome. Bring back a little naughtiness like Carnival Cruise Lines used to be famous for before they became "family friendly" and overly PC. Even their pool games used to be R-rated back in the day. The "Fun Ships" earned that title because of the atmosphere onboard in the early days for adults, not because of family activities. Lastly I agree with some others that I would rather not see a "ship within a ship" concept for suites. Offer suites, but keep it all open. Don't exclude any areas. The ship is already segmented by being adult-only, so no need to segment it even more. There will be no kids to escape from, so I don't think private decks and key card access areas are nearly as necessary as ships with tons of kids on them.

As far as it being all-inclusive, well I have mixed feelings about that. It drives up the price and for those that don't drink, and they are essentially subsidizing the alcohol for those that do. Perhaps just offer drink packages for those that want them.

Really looking forward to sailing on Virgin! The possibilities are endless ... and more than anything I would like to see something that absolutely no one has thought of. Surprise and delight us!

Reserved lounge chairs,

Priority boarding and or nice little perks for frequent fliers of Virgin/Alaska Air

OR OBC based on how many miles one has in the bank, or redemption of miles for OBC

Lots of EDM.

Guest EDM deejay themed cruises once a year with Tiesto, Alesso, AfroJack, et cet.

Clubs with a great vibe and great martinis.

All-inclusive, not ala carte

Love the 18 + concept.

Sleek, modern cabins, like Celebrity Edge.

No Frank Sinatra Music or show tunes.

Comedy clubs.

dance studio onboard where dance lessons are offered throughout the day every day as opposed to 30-45 minutes per day with one kind of dance

I could swear I remember reading that Branson originally wanted an UPPER age limit, but I can't seem to find proof I ever read this, so possibly losing my mind. (Anyone remember this but me?)

One way to create a "sort of upper age limit" is to NOT allow motorized wheel chairs/ scooters. That is what Viking does.

A few of my ideas:

No yard sales like most cruises have outside their shops.

No 'Art' auctions or bingo or any other 'nearly dead' entertainment.

No 'Steerage Not Allowed' sections. One class system for everyone.

No motorized wheel chairs. If you're not mobile enough to walk on your own, you have lots of different cruise lines to choose from.

No ropes courses, mini golf, water slides, arcades. Don't need them if there aren't any kids.

No big 'Vegas' style show. Most have gone down to high school level of entertainment in the last few years.

All inclusive food and drink of high quality. I love the idea of multiple smaller MDR's.

One price to include insurance, tips and port fees.

No 'book price' that no one actually pays then giving 80% off 'deals'.

Several smaller venues with different entertainment that caters to different age groups. The 20 somethings and the 60 somethings listen to and do different things on vacation.

Active sports/entertainment.

Steel drums in the Caribbean.

A quiet pool and an active/noisy pool.

I'm really excited by VV, and hopefully it can provide something lacking on most cruise lines. We've been cruising for 20+ years now and have been watching cruise line head toward the bottom. Maybe its the accounting firms in all those companies, but the trend certainly has been to make the cruise just about free, and then charge you for EVERYTHING. I hate that.

When we cruised 20 years ago we started on Royal Caribbean and it was fantastic. Everything with few exceptions was free once you paid for the cruise. They even had one or two midnight buffets which took the crew days to accomplish. All the food was everything you wanted, included.

What I would LOVE to see was a cruise with everything included, including gratuities, reasonable excursions, all dining, all drinks, at least at dinner, and generally a casual atmosphere. I'm not saying I want lots of excess, just a really nice cruise where people can relax, and not have to worry if they need to pay for this and that. Why not even include photos, you get all you digital pictures and say 10 printed pictures. And add in some good entertainment. That would be FABULOUS.

Charge what you have to to make this a reality. I'm not looking for budget, especially since most people have to end up paying for all these things ANYWAY, why not just charge in advance instead of the the day you depart?

What I describe here sounds pretty basic, but it is lacking in the cruise industry. Maybe Regents Seven Seas is the closest, but you want it to be much more casual. People can dress up if they like, maybe with a separate dining room, otherwise its casual.

Oh, Richard should visits the ships now and again. (If he can part with his island.:D )

Oceania come close to your ideal with O Life. A bit more "a la carte" than Regent but whatever few inclusions are missing can be added as options at a far-less-than-Regent all-inclusive total cost AND Oceania is always "country club casual."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For what it's worth here are my two cents worth...

If we were all to sit down and explain in detail what our perfect cruise line would be in terms of accommodation, itineraries, dining, budget, entertainment and demographics onboard at any particular time in our changing lives I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't find anything that fitted 100%.

But right now Celebrity X seems to fit me best though there are some areas that I'd change purely on a selfish basis for me. As I sail mainly Celebrity my thoughts will be heavily influenced by them.

As for Virgin and what we'd like to see I'd add :-

Alcoholic beverage packages should cover water, teas, coffee, beers, wine, spirits and cocktails. Some lines offer packages that don't offer such diversity, this is a mistake. Give those purchasing such packages choices. The likes of P&O have got their packages just plain wrong IMHO.

A well thought out loyalty program that offers genuine tangible benefits for those who sail with the line regularly. It should be lifetime based, not a shortsighted 'only valid for those who've sailed in the last three years or so' affair.

Fast and affordable internet. We're well into the 21st century now and people want to keep in touch wherever they are. Virgin should look to offer the fastest most reliable technology available and charge a sensible amount for it. Your passengers will thank you for this.

Wide and varied entertainment to cover the interest of all who sail on the ship. NOT events that are simply thinly veiled sales affairs. This is something that Celebrity do very, very badly, Virgins's new line have an opportunity to be class leaders here as they're starting with a blank canvas.

No crappy art auctions. Google 'cruise ship art auctions' and learn all about the scams associated with these events. I'd be very disappointed to see one onboard.

When it comes to a main dining room I'd rather see numerous smaller themed dining rooms. Many have long lines of passengers queing to get in there and the food and service can be poor. Maybe Virgin need three or four smaller themed included dining rooms where people can choose to dine for both breakfast, lunch and dinner. I appreciate this will cause logistical challenges particularly if one proves significantly more popular than others, but you're giving people choices.

Specialty dining restaurants should also be included to add to increased choice. I'd like to see upscale restaurants serving top quality food with service to match on an upcharge basis.

Daress code, smart and casual throughout. No need for any formal nights, particularly in the Caribbean, wearing a suit and tie in hot weather isn't much fun.

I'm not at all opposed to the ship within a ship concept. Infact I've spent more nights in suites than I have in regular cabins which at least has allowed me to see both sides of the coin. But... if areas were made available to suite only guests then this should not come at the expense of other passengers. Remember that Virgin Atlantic has differnet classes of travel and some areas of their planrs are simply off limits to lesser classes so don't be too surprised if this is also seen on their ships.

More interesting itineraries. Get to other destinations that other lines don't visit. Be original!

Booze... Think variety. Ensure there are many different types onboard to give people more choices again. Make a real effort here, only employ enthusiastic and knowlegable purchasing managers when it comes to beverages.

No sales offering cheap and tacky goods with unrealistic book prices followed by 99% off stickers etc. These are cheap and tacky!

Forgot to add. I'd like to see quality acts onboard. Most cruise lines feature really bad tribute bands or other bands that are comparable to what can be found at some secondary schools.

Maybe fly in musicians that most of the passengers have actually heard of from time to time? Considering Branson's ties to the music business, he of all people has no excuses what so ever to get this right.

Mynki: see post 37

I read it. Though I would imagine VV will have a significantly younger crowd sailing onboard than Oceania. I'd also suggest that it's aimed at a very different target market.

Take a look at the passenger to staff ratios and tonnage per passenger ratios and you'll see that Oceania will be a more upscale experience in a different price bracket too I would expect.

I read it. Though I would imagine VV will have a significantly younger crowd sailing onboard than Oceania. I'd also suggest that it's aimed at a very different target market.

Take a look at the passenger to staff ratios and tonnage per passenger ratios and you'll see that Oceania will be a more upscale experience in a different price bracket too I would expect.

When you look at "net daily rate" cost for all "door to door" cruise expenses (I.e., including airfare/air credit et al. inclusive items vs just cabin cost), you should find O priced in the same arena as Celebrity.

As for age, note that O has become an often preferred cruise line of college alumni travel programs, which (in recent years) has lowered its overall age range (particularly on popular 10+\- day tourist itineraries like The Med and Alaska). In addition, many well-traveled, young professionals are increasingly figuring out that O fits their travel preferences better than any other cruise line - especially if quality of food and accommodations is important to them.

When you look at "net daily rate" cost for all "door to door" cruise expenses (I.e., including airfare/air credit et al. inclusive items vs just cabin cost), you should find O priced in the same arena as Celebrity.

I have undertaken apples to apples comparison. But when you look for a comparable stateroom (We always travel in either Aquaclass or more usually sky suites) the prices on O are significantly higher. On a 14 might sailing this could easily be $2,000 plus per person.

As for age, note that O has become an often preferred cruise line of college alumni travel programs, which (in recent years) has lowered its overall age range (particularly on popular 10+\- day tourist itineraries like The Med and Alaska). In addition, many well-traveled, young professionals are increasingly figuring out that O fits their travel preferences better than any other cruise line - especially if quality of food and accommodations is important to them.

Whilst I don't doubt the line has experienced changes in recent times I still believe that the average age of an O passenger will be significantly higher than that of VV. We were moored next to Riviera last year and it was quite obvious that O attracts a more seasoned crowd. I have no doubt at all that O will provide a very good experience, I just think the target markets will differ significantly from VV.

Some thoughts...

- Less emphasis on banquet dining

- Less predictable menus - the first night on Celebrity is always the same

- More local cuisine

- Ethical food chain

- Pop up restaurants

- No tipping

- No Art auctions

- Decent toiletries in the bathrooms

- Decent in cabin entertainment

- A hideaway drinking den

- A tie in to the Virgin Atlantic Frequent Flyer programme

- Option to use the Virgin Atlantic clubhouse at Heathrow if booking early on fly / cruise package

- Make the drinks packages simpler (Celebrity's example of moving inclusions between different drinks packages is silly - you can have a beer and wine up to $9 but can't have a can of soda or a bottle of reasonable water)

- Smart casual dress code

Edited by DYKWIA

I have undertaken apples to apples comparison. But when you look for a comparable stateroom (We always travel in either Aquaclass or more usually sky suites) the prices on O are significantly higher. On a 14 might sailing this could easily be $2,000 plus per person.

Whilst I don't doubt the line has experienced changes in recent times I still believe that the average age of an O passenger will be significantly higher than that of VV. We were moored next to Riviera last year and it was quite obvious that O attracts a more seasoned crowd. I have no doubt at all that O will provide a very good experience, I just think the target markets will differ significantly from VV.

So, that "apples to apples" includes the airfare cost? If you're headed to Asia from the US, the O air credit (for DIY) would drop the cabin price by $1500-$2000. And don't forget TA added OBC. Members of the Oceania Connoisseurs Club TA group are top booking producers who are paid commissions on a sliding scale. Their better compensation should translate to higher commission sharing for you (averaging 5-10% of the commissionable fare). Finally, those same TAs have occasional private "partner" sales with O, which lower fares on select cruises as much as 15% (close to sailing) and about 5% on all others (the same deal as "book onboard."

Even if your comparison considers all of the above (and the internet plus choice of booze [value of $80/day for the cabin] or excursions or even more OBC) and O ends up costing more, there are many of us who just couldn't step down to the mediocre food on other cruise lines (perhaps with exception of Regent and Crystal).

This is absolutely true based on my experience. I sailed on Oceania’s Riviera to the Caribbean, which arguably could be considered the youngest demographic for Oceania. The food was fantastic. The rest left me a bit cold. I didn’t think the ship had much atmosphere (besides the restaurants) and it was a dead zone at 10pm. The clientele was definitely older, and at 50 I felt like one of the youngsters. Entertainment was amateur at best. Celebrity has a much more vibrant atmosphere, eclectic ships, and a more diverse demographic. Oceania was more like an upscale version of Holland America.

I don’t expect Virgin Voyages to be anything like Oceania and I doubt I would recommend Oceania to those considering Virgin. Virgin is going to be vibrant, eclectic, full of energy and activity on a very forward thinking ship. Expect to see dining and entertainment reinvented. Virgin is a young minded company that tends to appeal to a younger clientele or at least those that want a younger feeling experience. Oceania is very traditional, from the decor of the ships to the passengers. Very quiet. I don’t even remember music by the pool. Also I expect the price point to be far lower than Oceania. It will be more of a mass-market experience but with the twist of being adult-only and more out of the box thinking.

Much more than Oceania, I think Viking Ocean would be my pick for an upscale adult experience without getting into the luxury arena.

This is absolutely true based on my experience. I sailed on Oceania’s Riviera to the Caribbean, which arguably could be considered the youngest demographic for Oceania. The food was fantastic. The rest left me a bit cold. I didn’t think the ship had much atmosphere (besides the restaurants) and it was a dead zone at 10pm. The clientele was definitely older, and at 50 I felt like one of the youngsters. Entertainment was amateur at best. Celebrity has a much more vibrant atmosphere, eclectic ships, and a more diverse demographic. Oceania was more like an upscale version of Holland America.

I don’t expect Virgin Voyages to be anything like Oceania and I doubt I would recommend Oceania to those considering Virgin. Virgin is going to be vibrant, eclectic, full of energy and activity on a very forward thinking ship. Expect to see dining and entertainment reinvented. Virgin is a young minded company that tends to appeal to a younger clientele or at least those that want a younger feeling experience. Oceania is very traditional, from the decor of the ships to the passengers. Very quiet. I don’t even remember music by the pool. Also I expect the price point to be far lower than Oceania. It will be more of a mass-market experience but with the twist of being adult-only and more out of the box thinking.

Much more than Oceania, I think Viking Ocean would be my pick for an upscale adult experience without getting into the luxury arena.

I am convinced that most O loyalists pretty much avoid Caribbean sailings (unless perhaps the ship is on its way to the Amazon or some other unboring place). That said, I agree that O is not a party ship and the string quartet is not a poolside hip hop wannabe band.

As for Virgin, let's hope for the best. If their airline is any indication, the hype will be plenty and the goods delivered will be few.

I am convinced that most O loyalists pretty much avoid Caribbean sailings (unless perhaps the ship is on its way to the Amazon or some other unboring place). That said, I agree that O is not a party ship and the string quartet is not a poolside hip hop wannabe band.

As for Virgin, let's hope for the best. If their airline is any indication, the hype will be plenty and the goods delivered will be few.

I’m guessing that O regulars are an even older demographic than what I experienced. The longer and more exotic the cruise, the older demographic it tends to be. Most younger people either don’t have the time or money for the longer exotic cruises.

In the same category of cruising I actually preferred Azamara over Oceania. More eclectic decor, friendlier crew (perhaps the nicest I’ve ever experienced), and a more vibrant atmosphere onboard. I give the best cuisine to Oceania though. It was unbeatable. Definitely a cruise line for foodies if that is your number one priority. Another thing that turned me off to Oceania was the drink prices. Perhaps the highest I’ve seen on any cruise line except NCL (same family). I felt like I was being gouged.

Back to VV, I do hope they can be a product that all adults find appealing. Something for everyone.

....I give the best cuisine to Oceania though. It was unbeatable. Definitely a cruise line for foodies if that is your number one priority. Another thing that turned me off to Oceania was the drink prices. Perhaps the highest I’ve seen on any cruise line except NCL (same family). I felt like I was being gouged....

The best advice I can give you regarding booze on O is to get the $60/day/pp "prestige package" or upgrade to it from the O Life mealtime wine/beer perk for $20/day/pp extra.

That total $60/day per person value, which BTW includes the 18% tip is a great deal, particularly if you only drink better spirits. For example, if you like a "sidecar" (or two) as your pre-dinner cocktail, have the classic: a double shot of Hennessy VSOP with Cointreau and fresh lemon juice (O bartenders will use real juice vs citrus mixer on request). By itself, that is a $30+ drink with tip on O. Do the math.

As for friendly officers: beyond my sharing "sea stories" with them on occasion, I just don't understand why it is so important for some cruise passengers to feel like they've made a new best friend with a ship's officer.

The best advice I can give you regarding booze on O is to get the $60/day/pp "prestige package" or upgrade to it from the O Life mealtime wine/beer perk for $20/day/pp extra.

As for friendly officers: beyond my sharing "sea stories" with them on occasion, I just don't understand why it is so important for some cruise passengers to feel like they've made a new best friend with a ship's officer.

I’ll keep that in mind if I sail Oceania again.

I’m certainly not looking to be best buddies with the crew or officers, but a friendly crew that you can tell is well motivated and enjoy their job and even take pride in it is certainly welcome. That is how it was on Azamara. On Oceania it was more going through the motions. I didn’t detect a lot of pride or enthusiasm, certainly nothing that stood out. It was all fine but certainly nothing exceptional or above and beyond.