Christmas dining in London

markeb

My wife and I are visiting London over the Christmas holidays. Based somewhat on an earlier thread (that kind of went off the rails), we've booked Benares for Christmas Eve (which now looks to be sold out!).

Does anyone know whether they usually have a "standard" menu for Christmas, a (upcharged, normally) holiday menu, or both? For Manhattan, I can Google for restaurants open on Christmas and get a good list; the only hit I've found includes a fairly limited listing of restaurants.

I'll eventually e-mail them, but folks on this board tend to know :)!

Christmas Day this year a Tuesday. Very little range especially in central London apart from hotel dining and a high priced Christmas menu at others , expect x3 cost, plus needing to book in advance and few transport options beyond a few cabs. Christmas day will see London like a ghost city, even Boxing day unless you wish to go to a scrum at the sales, many other things closed, shows booked up and transport limited, again lots of restaurants either booked up or closed.

We're planning on hotel on Christmas Day. We already have a reservation on Christmas Eve. Benares is about a 15 minute walk from our hotel. Really curious if anyone knows about their normal Christmas menus before I email them.

We'll do what we do in NYC on Christmas and wander around the city, which we understand will be pretty dead. We'll probably try to catch a show in the West End on Boxing Day, and will head out and about for the shopping.

There are multiple threads on the London forum of Trip Advisor discussing things to do on Christmas Day. We have spent two Christmas's in London. Chinatown restaurants are always open on Christmas day and we have been able to walk in and find to find reasonably priced, tasty Christmas meals.

Bearers tavern has Christmas menus on its website at £95 &£115 pp. If you hotel is booked get the concierge to book you up Boxing day show tkts if you have an idea what you want to see, not all will be available. As Americans remember Christmas is the key holiday here unlike NYC, where Thanksgiving takes some of this pressure off Christmas. A quieter time to see London in a way few do these days. If you are Christian midnight Christmas eve service or Christmas morning at a famous Church would be an unforgettable experience, depends where your hotel is, as to which to aim for.

If you are Christian midnight Christmas eve service or Christmas morning at a famous Church would be an unforgettable experience, depends where your hotel is, as to which to aim for.
Right, it is unforgettable. I went to Westminster Cathedral's midnight Christmas Eve service in 1984.