A dining room seating question - or 2

mef_57

Does Cunard have a solo traveler table, or does it cluster 'nationalities' together? Also, are there lots of children on Christmas cruises?

I have asked to be wait listed for early seating, but do not want to be assigned to a family table with children....no offense to you who love that dining experience.

There will be a lot of solo travelers that cruise and it might be nice to have the option to sit together.

I know I can excuse myself and chat with the maitre d' about reassignment, but it would be nice to know beforehand what our options are.

Thank you,

I traveled solo a year ago September on QM2 and requested and assigned a table of 6 that included me and an American couple and three Canadians, one couple and one single lady. We all agreed that we were seated together because we were round trippers. The couples, and we singles were strangers on the outset but we had a great time every night at 8:30 in the MDR for 16 nights. I am doing it again this April, sailing on Easter Sunday out of NYC for another round trip.

Yes Cunard does cluster nationalities together, an awful practice in my opinion.

Cunard isn't Disney - generally there are few children.

Not always, we've shared with people from Switzerland, Mexico and America as well as the UK.

Does Cunard have a solo traveler table, or does it cluster 'nationalities' together? Also, are there lots of children on Christmas cruises?

During my return crossing aboard QM2 in August/September, I (a Canadian) was seated the first week with a British married couple and two solo American travellers (an older man and a younger woman). Two other solo travellers (an American and a Brit) switched to the early seating.

The second week I was joined by two American friends travelling together, a solo American, a Glaswegian lady and a Swedish lady.

No real patterns there.

Also on eastbound crossings the afternoons are shortened by the (almost) daily clock change, so the later dining hour is most suitable; it avoids having lunch, tea and dinner all within a six-hour span.

Even on westbound voyages, the (almost) nightly clock-change reduces the impact of late dining, since you can sleep in the next morning or enjoy an afternoon siesta.

PJ

Hi,

Last week, we cruised aboard the Queen Victoria in the Mediterranean. We were the only Americans at our table for 10. The other eight people at our table were from the United Kingdom. In my experience with Cunard, I frequently have been assigned to tables with people from other countries. When I travel solo with Cunard, there usually are other solo travelers at my table. I tend to greatly enjoy my tablemates when traveling aboard Cunard ships.

Chuck

Thank you all. I should mention this is a 12 Day Canary Island cruise - not a transatlantic - if that changes the children quotient.

I will admit to prefer a globally mixed dinner table and dining with other solos isn't a requirement, but some may prefer it.

I guess like other things, it will be an exciting surprise as there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Wonderful...and thanks again.

We met a very nice German couple, and have done several cruises with them, because they specifically requested not to be seated with other Germans.

Interesting. Do you know, did they ask this before the cruise, or did they have a chat with the maitre d' upon embarkation?

If before the cruise, where in your VP would you state that?

Thank you.

Interesting. Do you know, did they ask this before the cruise, or did they have a chat with the maitre d' upon embarkation?

If before the cruise, where in your VP would you state that?

Thank you.

I don't know their specific case, but I know that such requests can be submitted via your travel agent.

Hi. I will be on this year's (2018) Christmas, Canary Islands, on the QV, leaving Dec. 23. I have sailed Cunard as a single and with others, and have never been at a table with children. Also, the Christmas cruises tend to have more children, but always seem behaved to me.

Are you sailing with me? There is a roll call.

When I booked a solo TA (Oct. 25) from NY to Southampton on the QM2 a couple of months ago, I did it directly with Cunard. The agent asked several questions about my large table preference which suggested to me that there might be a "notes" section in the electronic reservation which would be of use in table assignments.The agent was particularly interested in the fact that I've lived in France, Belgium and the UK with experience in the US diplomatic service and normally spend most of September in London every year for the Proms.

There certainly is no harm is anyone discussing with one's travel agent or Cunard rep the specifics of one's dining preferences.

Does the seating vary depending on the individual Maitre'd?

Roy

Not sure, but I am calling the man in charge of the seating arrangements the 'Maitre d''. I could be wrong of his title, but on other cruises, that is the person to talk to if you want to change seating arrangements.

Hi. I will be on this year's (2018) Christmas, Canary Islands, on the QV, leaving Dec. 23. I have sailed Cunard as a single and with others, and have never been at a table with children. Also, the Christmas cruises tend to have more children, but always seem behaved to me.

Are you sailing with me? There is a roll call.

No, I am on the QE Dec 17 departure.

I am sure kids are well behaved. I had my own and I have a grand child; but I would prefer an all adult table if given the choice.

Have a wonderful cruise.

When I booked a solo TA (Oct. 25) from NY to Southampton on the QM2 a couple of months ago, I did it directly with Cunard. The agent asked several questions about my large table preference which suggested to me that there might be a "notes" section in the electronic reservation which would be of use in table assignments.The agent was particularly interested in the fact that I've lived in France, Belgium and the UK with experience in the US diplomatic service and normally spend most of September in London every year for the Proms.

There certainly is no harm is anyone discussing with one's travel agent or Cunard rep the specifics of one's dining preferences.

As it was a last minute booking following a glitch in the system, I booked directly with Cunard and as I had to pay in full, I could not transfer to my agent. I also am wait listed for the early seating, so not sure whether a discussion about table preferences at this point would assist or not. I might look at my VP at the dining section and see whether it has notes.....or call a little closer to time and see where things sit.

Aren't the agents a pleasure to work with?It is easy to get off course, but I am glad they took note of your 'past lives' and interests.

During my return crossing aboard QM2 in August/September, I (a Canadian) was seated the first week with a British married couple and two solo American travellers (an older man and a younger woman). Two other solo travellers (an American and a Brit) switched to the early seating.

The second week I was joined by two American friends travelling together, a solo American, a Glaswegian lady and a Swedish lady.

No real patterns there.

Last week, we cruised aboard the Queen Victoria in the Mediterranean. We were the only Americans at our table for 10. The other eight people at our table were from the United Kingdom. In my experience with Cunard, I frequently have been assigned to tables with people from other countries. Chuck

I'd say there's a massive pattern there.

Both of you have been seated predominately (with the single exception of the Swedish lady) with people from English speaking countries.

And a quick search on the interest has just told me that 90% of Swedes speak English as a second language. So it's a fair bet that she could speak English as well.

Therefore, it would seem that people are being sat together by the language that they speak.

Not always, we've shared with people from Switzerland, Mexico and America as well as the UK.

I may be wrong in general as I had a table with my own nationals exactly once - on my first night aboard QM2.

The dinner conversation was a ghastly experience. Since then I visit the Maître D' after every embarkation to make sure it won't happen again.

Yes Cunard does cluster nationalities together, an awful practice in my opinion.

I've never been aware of this, as a practice.

Sure, we've had tables where everyone has been some form of British, but the number of mixed-nationality tables we've been at far, far outweighs the number of British-only tables.

As others have suggested, I think language is the determining factor rather than nationality.

We have been seated with individuals/couples from the far east but have also noticed, on occasion, large groups from the same region seated together. I'm sure this happens with any large group who book together, but may be more noticable when one believes (rightly or wrongly) that members of a group are easily identifiable.

And passenger mix, from/to ports, etc. will all make a difference. If you have two predominant nationalities on board then more people will be seated with their own countrymen. Whereas if there are, as we have had, 60+ different nationalities with no one predominant nation, things are going to feel a lot more mixed. It's not often that the passengers beat the crew in nationality mix but it does happen.

Regards, Colin.

I'd say there's a massive pattern there.

Both of you have been seated predominately (with the single exception of the Swedish lady) with people from English speaking countries.

And a quick search on the interest has just told me that 90% of Swedes speak English as a second language. So it's a fair bet that she could speak English as well.

Therefore, it would seem that people are being sat together by the language that they speak.

I mean, sure.

But likely more than 95% of pax aboard were anglophones (and most of the rest were conversant ESL) so I wouldn't consider that a defining trend w.r.t. table assignments. And yes most Swedes speak excellent English, at least those that travel abroad.

But not all of my table-mates spoke English; I believe I mentioned the lovely lady from Glasgow ...

You might try going on the role call for your cruise and see if there is anyone you might like to sit with and see if you can work something out ahead of time. If the cruise is booked full it may be harder to do switching once on-board.

Cunard isn't Disney - generally there are few children.

Not always true but they do make a sincere effort to put many solos together at the same table. Request a table for 8 - 10 and you will usually get 6-8 solos and not all from the US or where ever.