Dutch Harbor/Unalaska - We Made It!

IslandThyme

Thank you for your wonderful blog and photos.

Dutch Harbor is pretty well known now because of "Deadliest Catch," but clearly it's not much-visited by cruise ships and I very much enjoyed your report. (And I would've expected to enjoy some fresh fish there too! ;p)

I had no idea about the Aleuts being placed in internment camps either. Do you know what "reason" was given for this?

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

About the Aleut internment. Our guide said that 800-900 Aleut were told by the U.S. military that they were being moved "for their own protection." But she went on to say that non-native people in the islands were not interned, and that the Aleut were put on a ship whose captain and crew had no idea where to take them. She said that eventually they were "dumped in an abandoned salmon cannery" in Juneau. Those details are corroborated by this story I found from NPR. It's horrifying, and also, shocking that we didn't learn about this in our studies of WWII. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/02/21/516277507/the-other-wwii-american-internment-atrocity

I have just seen and enjoyed your blog. We were there two years ago on a repositioning cruise on the Volendam but as we had not booked an excursion and the wind almost blew you horizontal, we did not see very much of the island, but it certainly was not a place I would choose to live.