Credit card insurance

HCI

I just tried ANZ - Allianz today with exactly the same "pre existing conditions" that ANZ - QBE have covered many times (and will cover for 2 more cruises through to May 2019 as I got in before the cutover) - of course they declined me on them. Of course I'm still covered for all the other elements of the policy just not the medical items for pre existing conditions

Well an interesting update....

There maybe some light at the end of the tunnel - dependant of course on individual situations - but here’s what’s happened so others may benefit

After the decline yesterday I asked them yesterday to review my request - not expecting any change but rolling the dice given I have nothing to lose - they said it would take up to 3 days for the review

Well today I got an email from Allianz advising me that they will on this occasion cover all my preexisting conditions and extend cover under the credit card policy. They haven’t even asked for the $75 processing fee and I haven’t reminded them about that

Whilst a little nervous about the validity of this change of heart I do have a letter and several emails confirming the preexisting conditions are covered for this trip so I’m sure that would stand up if they tried to renege on that in the event of a claim

So I will now cancel the Insure and Go policy under the 14 day change of mind provision and save myself over $200

Now for clarity - my trip is a cruise from Bali to Sydney for 21 days - so no USA visit - so I guess that de-risks it considerably for them. Who knows how they’ll treat a future request that does include the US - but at least there’s a chink appearing in the armour

Good job. I'm sure it depends on what the pre existing is. I have other pre existings that Allianz will cover but my most serious is the blood clot issue and I would never travel without cover for that. Proof in the fact I just had to claim.

CBA have given Allianz the flick and gone to Zurich. I haven't had a chance to enquire from them re if they will cover me.

Good job. I'm sure it depends on what the pre existing is

Tara - Mine include a once only DVT & Pulmonary Embolism 4 years ago and ongoing Atrial Fibrillation - enough to get all insurers other than Insure & Go to decline cover even with a loading - so getting Allianz to cover me is a big win - although QBE did on several occasions and that’s why I was so happy with card cover at that time

I suspect the absence of the US let me squeeze through that small crack in their armour

It will be interesting to hear how Zurich go at CBA

Good result for your perseverance Stickman. As you say no USA travel was the difference. My declination from Allianz was 15 days cruise and 8 nights in Honolulu after.

Many thanks for posting. As I said after being Declined by ANZ CC/Allianz, I bit the bullet and got cover inc disclosure of AF from NRMA/Covermore which is Zurich.

Uncle Les,

would it be worth you getting a CBA credit card if zurich have accepted your pre existing for USA?

Of course acceptance as a paying customer compared to CBA credit card free insurance could be a factor too.

Edited by Tara Jane

Uncle Les,

would it be worth you getting a CBA credit card if zurich have accepted your pre existing for USA?

Of course acceptance as a paying customer compared to CBA credit card free insurance could be a factor too.

Good advice, I will look into it, but the 14 day 'cooling off' period re cancellation of the NRMA policy could be near, I will get onto it.

Thanks TJ :hearteyes:

Just heard from QBE who provide NAB insurance that they will not cover any pre existing. Seems banks are unanimous. We only wanted to cover hypertension and hypothyroidism but no go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alliance - going to the USA, both wife and I have heart conditions but we are not near death yet, offered to accept an excess of $25,000.00.

Did not get past first base, heart conditions and travel to USA will not get cover with them.

Just heard from QBE who provide NAB insurance that they will not cover any pre existing. Seems banks are unanimous. We only wanted to cover hypertension and hypothyroidism but no go.

That positions not a new one for the NAB bundled travel insurance - it's written into the PDS for the insurance that they wont entertain any request for pre-existing conditions that they don't list in the policy

It's a shame as QBE have generally been more receptive but I suspect in this case NAB have tailored the cover to minimise their costs

• 2 weeks later...

I used a Mastercard platinum card to pay a $4000 deposit on a cruise. Had to cancel due to my husband requiring surgery. They would not refund as the insurance is not activated until I had the tickets. This was after the underwriter was transferred to Allianz. So read the product statement very very carefully. I will never depend on CC complimentary insurance again.

1 hour ago, happysnapper said:

I used a Mastercard platinum card to pay a $4000 deposit on a cruise. Had to cancel due to my husband requiring surgery. They would not refund as the insurance is not activated until I had the tickets. This was after the underwriter was transferred to Allianz. So read the product statement very very carefully. I will never depend on CC complimentary insurance again.

So looks like you have to wait until you have paid your cruise in full and have your tickets/boarding pass before you can cancel .

cheers Carole 

I have applied using my CBA credit card to covermore underwritten by Zurich for my upcoming Alaskan cruise.  Declined, and have asked for a review.  Am not too hopeful and the process involves getting full medical reports for the last 12 months. Have only paid $10 deposit on the cruise, and have 6 weeks to sort it out or I won't be travelling.   Insure and go will cover me but the cost is 150% of the cruise cost so I am not willing to pay that.   

14 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

So looks like you have to wait until you have paid your cruise in full and have your tickets/boarding pass before you can cancel

No that's not the case - what many of the policies clearly state is that you must have a return ticket to Australia - it's one of the conditions of activation - along with several others including a minimum spend amount on the relevant credit card

Those terms are clearly detailed in the relevant Product Disclosure Statement for the policy - they are not hidden at all. It is really incumbent on anyone relying on the policy for cover to read and comply with the activation requirements - and anything else that is setout in the policy

That is not an unreasonable request

Ironically if Happysnapper had done so and complied then the cost of cancelling the return airfare would have been covered by the policy along with other costs that were covered by the policy including the deposit on the cruise (I don't believe any policy is going to require you to make final payment before the due date)

6 minutes ago, Tara Jane said:

Insure and go will cover me but the cost is 150% of the cruise cost so I am not willing to pay that.   

Sorry to hear that - but without asking for details of your situaiton it would seem you have some significant medical issues if Insure and Go want to charge that level of premium for cover - so if that's the case can the insurer really be blamed for not accepting the risk in terms of significant pre-existing conditions

4 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

When do you get your “return ticket to Australia” 

Not when you pay your deposit

Carole - so is your cruise returning you to Australia? I would think if it is and you have paid the required deposit on the cruise then you should raise that with the insurer. I took from your earlier post that the cruise was between two overseas ports - and that you hadn't purchased air tickets to/from Australia

Please note I haven't seen the Product Disclosure Statement for your particular policy so I am basing my comments on the ANZ Allianz PDS which covers my credit card insurance

17 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Carole - so is your cruise returning you to Australia? I would think if it is and you have paid the required deposit on the cruise then you should raise that with the insurer. I took from your earlier post that the cruise was between two overseas ports - and that you hadn't purchased air tickets to/from Australia

Please note I haven't seen the Product Disclosure Statement for your particular policy so I am basing my comments on the ANZ Allianz PDS which covers my credit card insurance

In relation to Happysnappers post and CC insurance, I remember the thread and her issue.

The CC insurance did not cover a deposit, and as it was a World cruise they deposited on it was $4000, they lost it.

The insurance is activated when the cruise was paid in full and therefore a "ticket".

I believe that was how it worked, it was not ANZ CC insurance, like you, we are still using that for now as no pre existings.

From the Alliance

Is my overseas trip covered?

To be eligible for this complimentary overseas travel insurance, before leaving Australia on an overseas journey, you must have a return overseas travel ticket, and need to have prepaid at least A$500 of your travel costs using your eligible card. Travel costs include:

• Return overseas travel tickets. 
  • Airport/departure taxes
  • Prepaid overseas accommodation
  • Prepaid overseas itinerary items.
  • ????????
  • I would have thought you don’t have travel tickets till you are paid in full 
  • will ask the questions to provider tomorrow
  •  cheers Carole
  •  

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

In relation to Happysnappers post and CC insurance, I remember the thread and her issue.

The CC insurance did not cover a deposit, and as it was a World cruise they deposited on it was $4000, they lost it.

The insurance is activated when the cruise was paid in full and therefore a "ticket".

I believe that was how it worked, it was not ANZ CC insurance, like you, we are still using that for now as no pre existings.

I doubt that would be the case - as it is common practice for cruisers to be paid through an initial deposit and then full payment is required before sailing. The ticket is obtained when booked - the question of payment is essentially exactly that - payment of a debt obligation, the contract for the ticket was entered into when the deposit was placed

Any lawyer would have no issue proving that so I think it's time to take it back to the Insurer and if necessary escalate it to the Ombudsman

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elorac123 said:

Sounds good to me Stickman

Cheers Carole 

Thanks

Usual caveat - This is not formal legal advice and you need to consider your personal situation (it's worth approximately what you paid to obtain it :classic_laugh:) - but I'd certainly give it a red hot go based on that rationale

Hi,so just made a call to Westpac Complimentary Travel Insurance and was referred to the cancelation section on page 30 ,,,,see below

Cover under this section is also provided if the cardholder intends to obtain a return overseas travel ticket, before leaving Australia, and meets all the other eligibility requirements (see “Eligibility for Overseas travel insurance”).

so all is good 

cheers Carole