More Competition Coming in 2015

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Viking River Cruises announced a new Cruise line, with two New 48,000 ton, 928 passenger ships, and an option for 4 additional ships. The first ship, (Viking Star) will make her debut in May 2015. I'm sure this is getting a lot of attention at Azamara & Oceania, as well as other cruise lines... but I thought this news would be of interest to our community.

Viking Cruises sounds very interesting, though it's noteworthy that some of the announced features (overnight port calls, beer & wine at dinner etc.) are nothing new to Azamara. While we absolutely love Azamara, if Viking sails the Caribbean, and with Azamara having minimal interest in our favorite destination, I will be watching with interest.

I truly hope this news greases the wheels for Royal Caribbean to step up their Azamara game, and order new ships. With more competition coming, I feel it's quickly becoming a priority for Azamara to make a move.

Here's the details from Cruise Critic : http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5356

Hi Andy. Once again at the Captain's celebration event at the end of the last cruise it was mentioned about a third ship and it was reiterated that if Azamara added one then it would still be small unlike Oceania that has gone to larger Riviera and Marina ships. Blew my theory that Century might go to ACC!

A Far East cruise to China followed by a river cruise on the Yangtze is on my bucket list.

Phil

Hi Andy. Once again at the Captain's celebration event at the end of the last cruise it was mentioned about a third ship and it was reiterated that if Azamara added one then it would still be small unlike Oceania that has gone to larger Riviera and Marina ships. Blew my theory that Century might go to ACC!

A Far East cruise to China followed by a river cruise on the Yangtze is on my bucket list.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome Home. I hope you had a wonderful Cruise !

As with many of us... I truly hope the onboard comments prove to be true. I've heard the rumors for quite some time, though nothing has been confirmed.

Like you, I always thought that Century might eventually find a home at Azamara. However, as of today, that theory is kaput :). Celebrity confirmed to me, that Century will be drydocked in Feb 2014, with many enhancements to come. With this news, it's clear that Century will remain with Celebrity for the forseeable future.

Here's my thread, on the Celebrity Forum : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846120

Blew my theory that Century might go to ACC!

Phil

Welcome home.

I never thought that. Way too large. There is a big differance even between a 1,200 and 1,800 passenger ship.

Phil

We would like to do the 3 night Yangtze cruise with Sanctuary Retreats (I have heard good things about Viking too), followed by Azamara from Shanghai, but something besides the standard itinerary with Bejing...

Hi Everyone,

Viking River Cruises announced a new Cruise line, with two New 48,000 ton, 928 passenger ships, and an option for 4 additional ships. The first ship, (Viking Star) will make her debut in May 2015. I'm sure this is getting a lot of attention at Azamara & Oceania, as well as other cruise lines... but I thought this news would be of interest to our community.

Viking Cruises sounds very interesting, though it's noteworthy that some of the announced features (overnight port calls, beer & wine at dinner etc.) are nothing new to Azamara. While we absolutely love Azamara, if Viking sails the Caribbean, and with Azamara having minimal interest in our favorite destination, I will be watching with interest.

I truly hope this news greases the wheels for Royal Caribbean to step up their Azamara game, and order new ships. With more competition coming, I feel it's quickly becoming a priority for Azamara to make a move.

Here's the details from Cruise Critic : http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5356

It certainly is interesting news, and more specific than the announcement that I noticed on the River Cruise Forum a few months ago.

Fueled by new ships, there has, in the past few years, been considerable expansion of river cruise offerings especially by Viking. This growth reflects that presently rivers are providing a very hot market.

Thus this ocean ship plan fits well into Viking's aggressive growth policy, as perhaps there is limited potential for more growth on the Rhine, Danube, etc. without seriously degrading the experience.

I wonder what market segment they will target? In river cruising, they provide a solid product, (we've sailed with them twice), but there are several more upscale lines. As a pure conjecture, based on our river experience, I doubt they would match ACC's product.

However, like you, we can hope that Viking's entry will force ACC to consider expanding their fleet. And we also think that their aggressiveness has forced more differentiation in the river cruise market, with some lines, like Uniworld, offering a more upscale, all-inclusive (sound familiar?) experience. Therefore, we look forward to increasing choice in small ships, but, at this point, it would take a lot to attract us away from ACC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looking at the Viking cruise site, the cruises offered so far (may-nov'15) are in the Med, Baltic and North Sea. The are generally at least 2 weeks or more and I did not see any that were only a week long. Information is still rather sparse on things like smoking policy, dining specifics, deposits, etc. I will say that the ship lay out and stateroom design looks first class on the surface.

Looking at the Viking cruise site, the cruises offered so far (may-nov'15) are in the Med, Baltic and North Sea. The are generally at least 2 weeks or more and I did not see any that were only a week long. Information is still rather sparse on things like smoking policy, dining specifics, deposits, etc. I will say that the ship lay out and stateroom design looks first class on the surface.

My parents are traveling for less than 2 weeks. It is October 18, 2013 and I believe package includes 1 night in Bucharest, 7 night cruise, and 2 nights in Budapest.

"8-day cruise with river-view stateroom

2 nights at the Le Méridien Budapest & 1 night at the Bucharest Radisson Blu (or similar)

7 guided tours with audio headset

All onboard meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches & 7 dinners, featuring regional specialties and including Welcome Cocktail Reception & Dinner and Captain’s Farewell Dinner plus breakfast at the Budapest & Bucharest hotels

Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks with onboard dinner and lunch service

Visit 1 UNESCO World Heritage Sites

Culture Curriculum: Enjoy Serbian & Hungarian folkloric performances; learn about icons & orthodox religion from a Bulgarian priest; attend lectures on Serbian current affairs, the myth of Dracula & the European Union; enjoy the authentic flavors of Eastern Europe, on shore and aboard

All port charges

Free wi-fi, connection speed may vary"

I find this interesting as we just cruised on the Nile at the end of April and river cruising is something we have just started to explore.

Hi Andy. Once again at the Captain's celebration event at the end of the last cruise it was mentioned about a third ship and it was reiterated that if Azamara added one then it would still be small unlike Oceania that has gone to larger Riviera and Marina ships.

That sounds great to me. We loved Oceania's smaller ship, Regatta, but had definite problems with the smokiness of the forward lounge. It was really awful.

Since Azamara prohibits all indoor smoking, we are very keen to try Azamara, especially a newer small ship. So as long as Azamara prohibits smoking indoors, we are interested.

Sorry Host Andy, but we really dislike the Caribbean and hope that Azamara does not use a new ship, especially, for that route.

One Caribbean cruise was enough for us!

Sorry Host Andy, but we really dislike the Caribbean and hope that Azamara does not use a new ship, especially, for that route.

One Caribbean cruise was enough for us!

If we travel in the Caribbean it is usually for a short 3-5 night extra vacation and we are looking for a deal. There is so much competition in the area.

My parents are traveling for less than 2 weeks. It is October 18, 2013 and I believe package includes 1 night in Bucharest, 7 night cruise, and 2 nights in Budapest.

".

That's Viking RIVER Cruises, not the new Viking OCEAN Cruises.

more on Viking's new ship:

http://maritimematters.com/2013/05/viking-star-to-shine/

Also taken from Travel Weekly article:

The all-balcony ship will have five cabin categories, ranging from a 270-square-foot model to a 1,448-square-foot suite. There will be two pools, one with a retractable dome, the other a glass-backed infinity pool at the ship's stern.

Another unusual feature will be a "snow grotto" in the spa in which "snowflakes gently descend from the ceiling through chilled air," according to a Viking description.

Dining options include a main dining room called the Restaurant, an intimate Chef's Table, an Italian Grill, a Viking Deli with Scandinavian specialties, a World Cafe and a cooking school and intimate restaurant called the Kitchen Table.

Yesterday early morning, after spending a half hour on the Viking Ocean website (despite being regular Silversea (3 cruises booked now) and Regent (3 cruises sailed last year) we booked the VS Maiden voyage (Bergen to Stockholm, May 2015). The ship is a stunner, only niggle I have: tips (about $32/day if River cruise tip guidelines are similar) are not included.

ps..working with LauraS to give Viking Oceans their own CC thread (maybe Andy will be the host) also, via our TA gently nudging Viking leadership to adopt formal CC meet & mingles (as Az guests know well this will help build buzz prior to Viking's maiden season)..approached Silversea's President a year ago to consider CC meet & mingles, after six months of research she agreed--Silversea joined Az, Crystal, Rccl, others)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=35

Hi Everyone,

Andy,

with the VS ending her European season in Istanbul, it is likely that she will head out through the Suez and Indian Ocean for either Australia and/or Asia. That fits Viking's mindset for "destination" cruising much more so than the Caribbean. It also places the ship in a prime destination not just for profits, but to head up to Alaska in summer '16 - which chairman Tor said he would like to do - and leave Europe that summer to the second new ship "Viking Sea".

And as long as Azamara can make more money with their ships outside the Caribbean in the winter, they would be fool-hardy to do otherwise.

But I do agree that Viking's entry could and should persuade AZ's parent to invest in new ships lest they be left behind.

Cheers.

We have enjoyed both Azamara for oceans, and Viking for river cruises. They seem to offer a reasonable balance between luxury and price, and both offer value for money. We are making B2B cruises on the Journey this October, and in October 2014 we are doing the Passages to Eastern Europe described by Jade13. My wife enjoys river cruising with a new city each day, and I prefer days at sea. I have worked most of my career on ocean going frieghers, but have also worked on river boats on the Ohio and Missouri River. They require two different kinds of navigation and skills for the crew, but similar in office management. One of the greater expenses of ocean going ships is greater regulation with IMO requirements for documentation and frequent audits that river boat operations can avoid.

We have enjoyed both Azamara for oceans, and Viking for river cruises. They seem to offer a reasonable balance between luxury and price, and both offer value for money. We are making B2B cruises on the Journey this October, and in October 2014 we are doing the Passages to Eastern Europe described by Jade13. My wife enjoys river cruising with a new city each day, and I prefer days at sea. I have worked most of my career on ocean going frieghers, but have also worked on river boats on the Ohio and Missouri River. They require two different kinds of navigation and skills for the crew, but similar in office management. One of the greater expenses of ocean going ships is greater regulation with IMO requirements for documentation and frequent audits that river boat operations can avoid.

Based on my experience on a Nile River cruise a few weeks ago I think that style of cruising fits better with all (more?) inclusive as far as the shore excursions. It looks like Viking at Sea will offer one complimentary excursion each day but others will have a charge. We would likely be more interested in the longer day tours that will have a charge, but it will all come down to overall price because what people do not like to do is pay for services they will not be using.

I think the size for the new ships at just under 1,000 passengers is very good. These companies (at least at sea) need more passengers to be profitable.

I did see you would be taking the same cruise/itinerary as my parents (but in the other direction). I was looking to see if there was a roll call for their cruise and saw your roll call.

I think the new VIKING STAR looks absolutely awesome! As much as I love Azamara, I welcome new competition to both Oceania and Azamara. Competition is always a good thing, and if anything it means both Azamara and Oceania will have to keep on their toes, and even raise the bar.

The new VIKING STAR has some features that neither Azamara or Oceania offer that are very appealing to me. First I love the contemporary and clean decor. I also like the fact that the main dining room is supposed to offer the best cuisine and not the speciality restaurants. There are a lot of al fresco dining options as well which is really appealing. All cabins have balconies and all bathrooms have a large shower (no sticking shower curtain). One pool has a retractable glass roof which is great in inclement weather, and the second aft infinity pool looks really inviting. On both Azamara and Oceania there is only one pool, and I welcome a second pool area. The observation lounge forward is two levels and that is pretty cool, but MOST of all the VIKING STAR will have a full 360 degree wrap around Promenade Deck. That is something sorely lacking on both Oceania and Azamara.

I have to say I'm beyond impressed with the level of detail and comprehensiveness of the Viking announcement. I don't think anyone expected every detail of the new venture to be announced so quickly (i.e. pricing, itineraries, ship details, deck plans, brochure, website, contest on Facebook, video, ship renderings, policies, reservations, etc. etc). Basically everything is out on the table in one swift movement. That in itself is very impressive and tells me not only is Viking serious about this venture, they really have their sh-- together as well! Obviously a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes for a good six months or longer.

I wish Viking much success, just as I do Azamara and Oceania. I think there is room for all three lines to operate successfully in the ultra-premium niche.

Ernie

Ernie, very cogently well said..concur 100% esp as a fitness (do 2-3 hrs of exercise daily on board) nut with the nice promenade deck (tho on deck 2). Also, hopefully we will be able to board with only two suitcases vs our normal four--as no formal wear/ties required--casually elegant in all dining venues.

Ernie, very cogently well said..concur 100% esp as a fitness (do 2-3 hrs of exercise daily on board) nut with the nice promenade deck (tho on deck 2). Also, hopefully we will be able to board with only two suitcases vs our normal four--as no formal wear/ties required--casually elegant in all dining venues.

Thank you!

I too enjoy the fitness centers and spas when I'm onboard, and the Spa on the VIKING STAR looks huge. It won't have the huge windows overlooking the bow because of it's location, but that is ok with me. The fitness center itself looks a little small on the deck plan, but perhaps in real life it will be larger.

Like you I also enjoy the more casual dress requirement. Funny as I enjoy wearing my tux on a Cunard crossing, but for cruising I would rather it be all casual.

Ernie

ps..working with LauraS to give Viking Oceans their own CC thread (maybe Andy will be the host) also, via our TA gently nudging Viking leadership to adopt formal CC meet & mingles (as Az guests know well this will help build buzz prior to Viking's maiden season)..approached Silversea's President a year ago to consider CC meet & mingles, after six months of research she agreed--Silversea joined Az, Crystal, Rccl, others)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=35

Hi Colonel Wes,

How are you ? I hope all is well.

Thank you for your comments. FYI, I've just learned the Viking Ocean forum will open on Monday, and I've been appointed as Moderator. I'm truly looking forward to the new assignment.

I think the new VIKING STAR looks absolutely awesome! As much as I love Azamara, I welcome new competition to both Oceania and Azamara. Competition is always a good thing, and if anything it means both Azamara and Oceania will have to keep on their toes, and even raise the bar.

The new VIKING STAR has some features that neither Azamara or Oceania offer that are very appealing to me. First I love the contemporary and clean decor. I also like the fact that the main dining room is supposed to offer the best cuisine and not the speciality restaurants. There are a lot of al fresco dining options as well which is really appealing. All cabins have balconies and all bathrooms have a large shower (no sticking shower curtain). One pool has a retractable glass roof which is great in inclement weather, and the second aft infinity pool looks really inviting. On both Azamara and Oceania there is only one pool, and I welcome a second pool area. The observation lounge forward is two levels and that is pretty cool, but MOST of all the VIKING STAR will have a full 360 degree wrap around Promenade Deck. That is something sorely lacking on both Oceania and Azamara.

I have to say I'm beyond impressed with the level of detail and comprehensiveness of the Viking announcement. I don't think anyone expected every detail of the new venture to be announced so quickly (i.e. pricing, itineraries, ship details, deck plans, brochure, website, contest on Facebook, video, ship renderings, policies, reservations, etc. etc). Basically everything is out on the table in one swift movement. That in itself is very impressive and tells me not only is Viking serious about this venture, they really have their sh-- together as well! Obviously a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes for a good six months or longer.

I wish Viking much success, just as I do Azamara and Oceania. I think there is room for all three lines to operate successfully in the ultra-premium niche.

Ernie

Ernie, we decided to book the VS today. We are on the 5/02 sailing from Barcelona to Bergen. 15 nights. Great price for too. I love the look of the ship. I like that the smoking policy is that of Celebrity.

Ernie, we decided to book the VS today. We are on the 5/02 sailing from Barcelona to Bergen. 15 nights. Great price for too. I love the look of the ship. I like that the smoking policy is that of Celebrity.

I'm VERY jealous Gordon! I have a feeling you will be sailing on Viking before I will. First up for me is a try-out of all the new mega-ship designs. ROYAL PRINCESS, MSC DIVINA, and NORWEGIAN GETAWAY all by January 2014 if all goes well. I hope to sail on Azamara again sometime in 2014 as I really love the line.

I won a cruise for two on the MSC DIVINA on a Facebook contest that MSC Cruises was sponsoring. First time I ever won any contest, and it's a ship I wanted to sail anyway so how perfect is that. I found out I won the day we left on COSTA neoROMANTICA so that was exciting! I'm not sure if you saw my review and pics of the CnR, but it's on the Costa board. The ship itself was gorgeous, the rest was a bit spotty. Honestly I could see the ship sailing for Oceania or Azamara. It was that nice.

Ernie

I'm VERY jealous Gordon! I have a feeling you will be sailing on Viking before I will. First up for me is a try-out of all the new mega-ship designs. ROYAL PRINCESS, MSC DIVINA, and NORWEGIAN GETAWAY all by January 2014 if all goes well. I hope to sail on Azamara again sometime in 2014 as I really love the line.

I won a cruise for two on the MSC DIVINA on a Facebook contest that MSC Cruises was sponsoring. First time I ever won any contest, and it's a ship I wanted to sail anyway so how perfect is that. I found out I won the day we left on COSTA neoROMANTICA so that was exciting! I'm not sure if you saw my review and pics of the CnR, but it's on the Costa board. The ship itself was gorgeous, the rest was a bit spotty. Honestly I could see the ship sailing for Oceania or Azamara. It was that nice.

Ernie

I will go find your review. I didn't know you were cruising on Costa. Congrats on winning the MSC cruise. I will be interested in your comments about MSC.

Archived