Tamales

Newmrsvega

Find a local restaurant or Mercado that caters to the locals, not the American tourist. That’ll be your best bet. If you can’t find one ahead of time, ask a local. Found great restaurants that way.

We’ve had great tamales from the tamale stand in the Mazatlan Mercado, but that’s on the left coast.

Lol you never know!

99% of those passengers will pass through Houston on their way to the Valor. I am allowing for a few that may live on the island and between.

Houston IS on the way--not like there's an airport in Galveston.

In the back of San Miguel, there are street vendors who sell tamales, mostly in the evenings as these are typically handmade and time intensive. Some of the street vendors around the plaza may have tamales during the daytime. Chilangos up around Avenida 25 and Calle 10 ( the streets have different names, forgot what, but that's the general area) is a small family owned place that regularly does have tamales. Not sure if they're open at lunch time, or what time they open for dinner. Cash only as I recall. And there is another Chilangos near the plaza but that is NOT the same owners, or menu.

If the street vendor that used to be in front of the International pier is still there, he may have some (great street tacos though).

And it's easy to drive from one side of Houston to the other in what, 15 or 20 minutes?

Well if you're coming from GWB Intercontinental, there's an Alamo Talmales on Berry between I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road before 610N. Also one on Navigation between the East Tex and I-45 south of I-10. Which could be accessible from Hobby, but a little backtracking up the Gulf Freeway.

As I recall when living in that neck of the woods, the best tamales were from the mom and pop vendors selling along the road side on weekends. Tex Mex tamales are very different from those in Mexico, especially those in the Yucatan where banana leafs versus cornhusks are used. Pork tends to be the filling of choice.

I guess I'm just lucky... I get mine from the parking lot of Walmart :)

I go looking for that little old lady w/ the ice chest...

Whenever I go to Mexico I have to get off the tourist strip to eat. I'm spoiled by having great Mexican food in my area.

I guess I'm just lucky... I get mine from the parking lot of Walmart :)

I go looking for that little old lady w/ the ice chest...

Whenever I go to Mexico I have to get off the tourist strip to eat. I'm spoiled by having great Mexican food in my area.

If you sit in the right bar long enough in Houston, that little old lady with the ice chest will find you.

JB

If you sit in the right bar long enough in Houston, that little old lady with the ice chest will find you.

JB

Get off the Houston kick already!!!! We live in Texas , I’m married to a Mexican ! Don’t care about Tamales in Houston or Mississippi!!!!!! Just asked a simple question about our ports

Jbooth, told you about Chilango in Coz. Can't opine on Progressive, but in Merida, a short bus ride away, Tamales Estilo on Calle 50 or the vendors around Parque Santiago would be good stops. Tamal Colados with anchiote chicken. Or try the panuchos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Get off the Houston kick already!!!! We live in Texas , I’m married to a Mexican ! Don’t care about Tamales in Houston or Mississippi!!!!!! Just asked a simple question about our ports

Seems like you were given leads for Cozumel?

Did you ask on the Progreso board as well?

Have his mom make some to bring along. Bring enough for all of us.

JB