Sept Isles. Why?

Selkie74

Still on the QM, and loving our extended stop in Quebec. But Sept Isles was really truly awful. It was interesting to be somewhere so remote, and we were lucky enough to see a presentation from Atlantic Rower Mylene Paquette. Those who went on excursions found them poor, apart from the visit to the Aluminium Smelter! But everyone on board was baffled as to why we stopped there. Does anybody know how ports are chosen?

In recent years, the QM2 made annual visits to the picturesque historic town of Gaspé, but Cunard (and several other brands) now bypass that port due to speed restrictions imposed in the Gulf of St Lawrence by the Canadian Government Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans, in order to protect endangered Right Whale populations that have shifted their range.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine/navigation-marine-conditions/protecting-north-atlantic-right-whales-ship-strikes-gulf-st-lawrence.html

Québec is still a popular destination, but another stop had to be substituted en route. It is an important deepwater port for transporting iron ore (needed for steel manufacturing), but not one I would consider an obvious port of call for passengers.

Presumably the attraction is the chance to view the fall colours?

Otherwise, take advantage of the opportunity to visit the local SAQ (Société des alcools du Québec) to buy a bottle of ice wine, 'caribou', or Maudite beer.

PJ

We visited here last year and I sent an email to Cunard saying that we felt it was not worth stopping there. Their reply was to say that it was intended to appeal to the American market rather than the European market.

We visited here last year and I sent an email to Cunard saying that we felt it was not worth stopping there. Their reply was to say that it was intended to appeal to the American market rather than the European market.

We were on that sailing also. Nothing there appealed to us Americans ?

Did a quite "eh" city tour . Could not believe that Cunard offered a tour of the aluminum plant

but at the end of this port visit , that may have been more interesting.

Even the comedian that night departing Sept Isles ( Seven Islands ) saying we must have docked at the wrong island.

Surely there is a better substitution port for Gasp' than Sept Isles ?

We did this last year. Saguenay was great. Sept Iles was sad. When we left, I felt like we were leaving the residents to survive the coming Winter. I think the best thing to do would be to treat it as a sea day and plan activities onboard. That's what we ended up doing. Too bad they couldn't keep going and hold in station to watch whales in the Seaway. That would have been far more rewarding.

Hey, the best thing about our Pacific Princess Murmansk visit was watching the (painfully slow and labor intensive) coal transshipment from trains to ships.

I am serious— I love getting the chance to see the industrial side of ports—containers destined to USA Walmarts from the Far East, Sheep leaving Australia, Autos, Heavy machinery, and sailboats being loaded on roll-on roll-off ships at Southampton.

Still on the QM, and loving our extended stop in Quebec. But Sept Isles was really truly awful. It was interesting to be somewhere so remote, and we were lucky enough to see a presentation from Atlantic Rower Mylene Paquette. Those who went on excursions found them poor, apart from the visit to the Aluminium Smelter! But everyone on board was baffled as to why we stopped there. Does anybody know how ports are chosen?

Last year was the first year the QM2 called in Sept-Iles. We were expecting to call at Gaspé, but were notified of this change about three weeks before the voyage. I agree it is not a very interesting port. For each of the next two years Cunard is doing two of the NY-Québec-NY voyages and these will include Sept-Iles.

The address by Mylène Paquette made it worthwhile. (I was pleased that she was not cut off after 45 minutes as most speakers are!) Afterwards I took a long walk through the city and the only thing of interest to me was the small maritime museum. By luck, Ms. Paquette was standing beside her boat and talking to people about her experience. Many of the people were from the QM2, so she was answering questions, providing even more information about her fascinating experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We have always enjoyed the QM2 Canada cruise which we have done a number of times, but after seeing the itinerary this year, we decided to give it a miss. Replacing Newport, and Boston, with ports like Sept Isles, Rockport and Corner Brook were not attractive to us. We have booked the QM2 Caribbean cruise sailing 25 November as a substitute. Even the ports for the two QM2 Canada cruises in 2019 do not appeal to us. A pity as we really enjoy sailing on the QM2.

Edited by SATELLITECRUISER