So why take my booking Princess ?

Just had a email to tell me that my April 2020 Northern Explorer on Golden Princess (booked 5 weeks ago) has been cancelled.

Why take the booking is what I would like to know ?

Anyone done this with another line ?

Cheers Carole

Just had a email to tell me that my April 2020 Northern Explorer on Golden Princess (booked 5 weeks ago) has been cancelled.

Cheers Carole

Seems all the lines do it at one time or another.

Fortunately yet to happen to us.

But then we have never had a mover over/down offer either.

Cheers Carole

We had that one booked but cancelled it a while ago.

I think there is a shuffling of ships going on, looking at a few posts on the Princess boards.

The Grand has changed itineraries for May 2020, someone mentioned they had been told the Grand was going to P&O as well as Golden, but it has been announced that the Star is going to P&O.........I am wondering if the Grand is coming to Princess OZ? There must be a reason the Golden has cancelled those itineraries for Princess, maybe she is going to P&O earlier...or not at all??

Cheers Carole

Sorry to hear this. I know how you feel re cancellation. They call it 'Rescheduling or Redeployment !' Happened to us about 10 years ago, we booked Costa Atlantica, east coast of USA/Canada. 2 months out, Costa cancelled the cruise because of poor sales and redeployed the ship to the Med. It took us 3 months to get our cruise fare back and we lost our airfare, our insurance company did not cover cruises cancellation due to redeployment. Neither the airline or cruiseline or travel insurance would entertain a claim for lost airfares Sydney - New York and return. :evilsmile:

But wait...! there is more, earlier this year booked two cruises on P&O UK Adonia, in Europe, couple of months later got notice from P&O that they had sold Adonia to Azamara Cruises. Took another couple of months to get our cruise money back. Luckily we got a few Princess cruises into the gap, Sapphire and Royal, plus we were going to a niece's wedding in the Cotswolds so we kept our airfares on, otherwise we might have had another air fare recovery battle !

Yes some nasty things happen in the cruise industry.

At least you have no airfares lost I trust.:cool:

Edited by NSWP

Seems all the lines do it at one time or another.

Fortunately yet to happen to us.

But then we have never had a mover over/down offer either.

I believe this cruise had sold out ocean view at least the mid ship Princess will come out the winner here with all the deposits held.

Cheers Carole

I wonder if they're moving up the transfer of Golden to P&O because they realised they would be left with only 3 ships for 18 months.

How long does it normally take to refurbish a ship to a new line?

As per my post above, the person on the rollcall has been told the Golden is returning to LA to do Mexico cruises.

It is due to be turned over to P&O in October 2020, so I guess Princess feel they can make more money doing 7 day Mexico cruises for 6 months.

The cruise from LA to Singapore to be P&O ised would be good one!!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I booked two short cruises on the Golden (Melb-Syd) the (Syd-Bris) on Saturday. 5 days later they cancelled the second of the cruises due to redeployment. They must have known they were pulling the plug on it. Annoying. Especially as I'd booked these two to replace the cancelled cruise I had booked on the Sun (that they also redeployed).

The Grand has changed itineraries for May 2020, someone mentioned they had been told the Grand was going to P&O as well as Golden, but it has been announced that the Star is going to P&O.........I am wondering if the Grand is coming to Princess OZ? There must be a reason the Golden has cancelled those itineraries for Princess, maybe she is going to P&O earlier...or not at all??

I have heard on different Facebook groups there has been talk that the Grand has been sold off to another cruise line...

I have heard on different Facebook groups there has been talk that the Grand has been sold off to another cruise line...
Hope so, isnt it the original Grand class? and not so liked.....and old!

Hope so, isnt it the original Grand class? and not so liked.....and old!

Grand Princess was the one that had its tail cut off. They removed the shopping trolley handle that was Skywalkers .

You would be lucky. Changes are in the fine print.

Just read the fine print and reasons for cancelling and nowhere did I read.

“Just because we can”

There are no reasons applicable that I can see,waiting to see it pop up somewhere in good working order

Cheers Carole

Little to no compo was offered, as they were cancelled more than 12 months out. For one we were offered a choice of 3 alternate cruises at the same price as the original booking - when none of these were satisfactory, we had our deposit refunded. Another was booked using a future cruise deposit, and this was placed back on our account with a very, very small OBC to use on a future cruise. You learn not to pre-pay anything that is not refundable.

Just read the fine print and reasons for cancelling and nowhere did I read.

“Just because we can”

There are no reasons applicable that I can see,waiting to see it pop up somewhere in good working order

Cheers Carole

Hello Carole,

It is very upsetting when a cruise is cancelled. The "fine print" has the following "Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, cancel the cruise". See paragraph 7 https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/plc.html

Hello Carole,

It is very upsetting when a cruise is cancelled. The "fine print" has the following "Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, cancel the cruise". See paragraph 7 https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/plc.html

And one day, someone with deep pockets will take on these unfair terms in contracts, the ACCC clearly has no interest.

Do they ever compensate for this ?

Cheers Carole

Not for our two, Costa Atlantica and Adonia, plus Costa and P&O UK (All Carnival Corp) had my money tied up for months before refunding.:evilsmile:

We had a cruise in the Med cancelled by Seadream because the ship had been chartered for that week by someone or other for a corporate event. Fortunately The cancelled cruise was the first of a planned b2b, so it meant that we only had to substitute some land-based activities in Italy for the cancelled cruise. We were lucky enough to find a vacancy at a really good hotel on the Amalfi Coast at quite short notice.

Seadream, without us asking, upgraded us to a higher deck for the second cruise, and provided a complimentary bottle of vintage Bolli for my Birthday dinner on the last night of the trip.

And one day, someone with deep pockets will take on these unfair terms in contracts, the ACCC clearly has no interest.

It’s had its fingers burnt enough times losing cases - and money - and copping flak when it doesn’t have the law to back it up.

Plus it’s not exactly well funded by the government to go on fishing expeditions.

An Oz online TA has itinerary for the Golden Princess departing Sydney April 8th 2020 and heading back LA, 29 nights via Tahiti, so I guess that is the change they made instead of it hanging around before going to P&O.

An Oz online TA has itinerary for the Golden Princess departing Sydney April 8th 2020 and heading back LA, 29 nights via Tahiti, so I guess that is the change they made instead of it hanging around before going to P&O.

The mind boggles