Time it takes to get through US security.

fizzy1

I expect this is imposable to answer but any idea of the time it takes to clear security at Red Hook . We are from the UK .On QM2 roundtrip next year and wanting to get the ferry to Wall st. for a few hours stroll

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The 2 x we did a R/T crossing, and disembarked at RedHook, the lines were L O N G, --- and very slow moving. This was Nov '16 and again in Nov '17. The only "FAST" lanes were the ones where families / groups utilized the services of a porter with a big, flat, wheeled cart, for their multiple luggage pieces.Then you would zip thru very

quickly, ( it was well worth the 5-10 $ tip.) BUT, for you, to disembark for only a day trip.....sadly this strategy won't work. So be prepared for long, long, slow moving lines. sorry :-(

I expect this is imposable to answer but any idea of the time it takes to clear security at Red Hook . We are from the UK .On QM2 roundtrip next year and wanting to get the ferry to Wall st. for a few hours stroll

When I disembarked at Red Hook in September at about 0830, it took me about 10 minutes from gangway to recovering my luggage, then maybe 15-20 minutes to clear security. I am Canadian. The lineup was moderately long but moved quickly. I imagine it slowed down later in the morning as more categories disembarked.

Since you won't be taking your luggage, the earlier you set out the quicker you should clear through.

PJ

When I disembarked at Red Hook in September at about 0830, it took me about 10 minutes from gangway to recovering my luggage, then maybe 15-20 minutes to clear security. I am Canadian. The lineup was moderately long but moved quickly. I imagine it slowed down later in the morning as more categories disembarked.

Since you won't be taking your luggage, the earlier you set out the quicker you should clear through.

PJ

Thanks

We've seen long lines and slow going at Red Hook, but that was because of computer melt-downs that caused the staff to stop work temporarily. So keep your fingers crossed that Homeland Security's technology works. Even if you have to wait a while, you should have plenty of time to take the ferry to Wall Street and walk around. Have fun. There is no place like New York.

It's quite easy and quick.

Make it known to the officials that you are in transit.

They will direct you to the MIDDLE line, this is the fast one, but US citizens will always get priority.

At the beginning of September, it took us 10 minutes from disembarkation to exiting the terminal.

It's quite easy and quick.

Make it known to the officials that you are in transit.

They will direct you to the MIDDLE line, this is the fast one, but US citizens will always get priority.

At the beginning of September, it took us 10 minutes from disembarkation to exiting the terminal.

Thanks. On this vacation we are on the roundtrip from Southampton so just looking at taking a ride in the ferry to the Wall St stop for a few hours stroll

We've seen long lines and slow going at Red Hook, but that was because of computer melt-downs that caused the staff to stop work temporarily. So keep your fingers crossed that Homeland Security's technology works. Even if you have to wait a while, you should have plenty of time to take the ferry to Wall Street and walk around. Have fun. There is no place like New York.

Thanks xx its been about four years since we were there last

Thanks. On this vacation we are on the roundtrip from Southampton so just looking at taking a ride in the ferry to the Wall St stop for a few hours stroll

That's exactly what we did!

Unfortunately, despite what the adverts said, Pier 17 at South Street Seaport wasn't open.

The new ferry is very good with two stops up river at Brooklyn, then the dash to Wall Street. $2.75 pay at the ticket machine on the pontoon.

We then took a cab back over the bridge ($8) to Court Street and had a couple of Brooklyn Lagers at the Irish bar. Unfortunately, our fav restaurant (Queen) was closed Sunday lunchtimes so we settled for bar food.

It's a great trip. Enjoy!!

Stewart

We are planning to hopefully get off early on our R/T in a couple of weeks time and then catch the Red Hook ferry to Wall St (Pier 11) and then walk and visit 9/11 museum/memorial and then if time allows wife wants to browse Century 21 discount store.

We are planning to hopefully get off early on our R/T in a couple of weeks time and then catch the Red Hook ferry to Wall St (Pier 11) and then walk and visit 9/11 museum/memorial and then if time allows wife wants to browse Century 21 discount store.

Just can’t wait till Aug next year, sigh. Oh well will have to sneak in a little California road trip in Feb

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please put up a travel blog

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Three hours if you get pulled aside . They threw all the passports of those pulled aside onto one pile, so the first to get pulled aside were literally the last to be interviewed, as they took the passports from the top of the pile and that was the interview order. We missed our train connection as a result, despite being almost the first off the ship as we self disembarked