NS Rolling Stones Rock Room

sevenseasnomad

From the video I just received in my email, Rock Room doesn't appear to have a dance floor. This new venue looks very much like Billboard Onboard, except for the two pianos. Maybe the video doesn't show enough of the room; however, it looks as though there's no dance floor. Very disappointing if this is the case. And, yes, I understand that "true rock" should be a listening experience, not a dancing experience, but there are lots of rock tunes one can dance to.

I'll call Seattle next week to ask, although they may not know either.

The promo video from the press release a few weeks ago showed people dancing. Don't know if they were dancing in place or not. A dance floor would nice. It could serve as a mosh pit when they do late 70s night. They'd probably have to issue protective Nerf suits though, because we're not as young as we used to be.

I should probably point out that I'm kidding about the mosh pit. IMO, it's obviously made in jest, but I've misread the humor level in the room before.

Please find out if there is a dance floor! If not, I'll just stand and dance! We're on the Koningsdam on the cruise before Rock and roll is installed. Too bad. I'd enjoy it.

I'll call Seattle tomorrow and report back. The video was of NS. I agree that if there's no dance floor, I'll dance beside my chair. I've never been able to keep these feet still if there's a good beat!

I'll call Seattle tomorrow and report back. The video was of NS. I agree that if there's no dance floor, I'll dance beside my chair. I've never been able to keep these feet still if there's a good beat!

Dancing beside your chair? I'll join you if the band is playing Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive. Or, much from the Abba playlist.

I spoke to HA this afternoon and asked about the dance floor in the Rolling Stone Rock Room. The ONLY dance floor on NS is in the Queen's Lounge! When I asked if the bands would be rotated so people could dance, my contact said no. She checked with numerous other people who all confirmed the information she'd given me.

Wow! I told her this decision was a huge mistake. She said the new lounge for BB Kings would be "small" and the new venue would be similar in size to Billboard Onboard. Really dashed my plans for "dancing the night away" as we've done on previous cruises. I won't panic and complain until I board Dec. 23 and find out for myself if this information is correct. If it is correct, most people will probably wear out the carpet near their chairs, but it won't be the same without a dedicated dance floor. Color me upset if true. :loudcry:

They moved the string performances into what was the two story Queen's Lounge space on K (huge mistake, IMO). It makes absolutely no sense that they would have a dance floor for the strings and nothing for BB King or the new rock venue! They have got to be kidding! That person must be misinformed. At every performance at any venue I've attended where a rock band plays, there is ALWAYS a dance area. This is in conjunction with Rolling Stone Magazine - the band has got to be awesome. They can't expect us to just sit there. It is Holland America - but for gosh sakes, we're not dead yet!

I do wonder why a decision was made to not include a dance floor for the Rolling Stones Room. We, the youth of the Rock Roll era that the ads say are being "covered" by the programming for the Room did dance. I don't recall accurately the years that ABC's American Bandstand with Dick Clark aired, but there was much dancing by the youth/young adults that I saw on that program.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, twodjs said:

They moved the string performances into what was the two story Queen's Lounge space on K (huge mistake, IMO). It makes absolutely no sense that they would have a dance floor for the strings and nothing for BB King or the new rock venue! They have got to be kidding! That person must be misinformed. At every performance at any venue I've attended where a rock band plays, there is ALWAYS a dance area. This is in conjunction with Rolling Stone Magazine - the band has got to be awesome. They can't expect us to just sit there. It is Holland America - but for gosh sakes, we're not dead yet!

I agree huge mistake if they have moved BB Kings from the 2 storey Queens Lounge on KDam. That was the best part of the ship. BB Kings on other Dam ships in the smaller Queens lounge is way too loud for enjoyment. Sailing again on KDam in January. To quote Murray Head "Say it ain't so Joe".

On 10/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

Dancing beside your chair? I'll join you if the band is playing Gloria Gaynor's I'll Survive. Or, much from the Abba playlist.

I could be very well mistakin', but this will be a Rock 'n Roll venue, so I seriously doubt that Gloria Gaynor or Abba will be on anyone's playlist here.. :classic_blink:

On 10/7/2018 at 8:14 AM, POA1 said:

The promo video from the press release a few weeks ago showed people dancing. Don't know if they were dancing in place or not. A dance floor would nice. It could serve as a mosh pit when they do late 70s night. They'd probably have to issue protective Nerf suits though, because we're not as young as we used to be.

I should probably point out that I'm kidding about the mosh pit. IMO, it's obviously made in jest, but I've misread the humor level in the room before.

Soon to come to HAL's newest ships :classic_biggrin:

Image result for mosh pit

• Like 3

Thanks, Copper, for the video post which is the same one I received.  While it's true that classical rock should be listened to, these feet ain't gonna be still.  You can find me dancing somewhere once they start playing.  I can report back in late December, as we're on the Christmas cruise.  Only 65 days until sailing.  Can't wait.

BTW, Copper, I showed the picture you posted earlier to my 32-year old son who wasn't that excited about the Rock Room and now can't wait to "riot" to the music.  He's all in and asked me if NS would be like Woodstock.  Well, one can imagine. . . .

6 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks, Copper, for the video post which is the same one I received.  While it's true that classical rock should be listened to, these feet ain't gonna be still.  You can find me dancing somewhere once they start playing.  I can report back in late December, as we're on the Christmas cruise.  Only 65 days until sailing.  Can't wait.

BTW, Copper, I showed the picture you posted earlier to my 32-year old son who wasn't that excited about the Rock Room and now can't wait to "riot" to the music.  He's all in and asked me if NS would be like Woodstock.  Well, one can imagine. . . .

"Woodstock" on HAL! Old Woodstockers maybe!  :classic_laugh: Take care Sevenseasnomad and keep on dancing!

There have been a couple of posters who have objected to my preference for the music of Abba and Gloria Gaynor to be included into this new venue.  I guess my definition of "Rock" is broader than others.

If there is no dance floor in the Rolling Stone Rock Room, then music of Abba and Ms. Gaynor would be most appropriate for "dancing by one's seat".  Has anyone ever attended a live performance of Mamma Mia?  Unless your experience was different from mine, there was much dancing in place and in the aisles during the play.  And, the dancing was precisely the type of "rock and roll" dancing that I remember seeing on Dick Clark's American Bandstand.