Aruba & Illness

Maven3

I had not even thought about this until someone posted a similar question on another thread. Is it safe to eat fresh vegetables & drink the water in the ABC islands? I looked up the recommendations from the CDC. According to the U.S. government website:

Hepatitis A

CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Aruba, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Typhoid

You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Aruba. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

I am curious to know if most travelers get these vaccines or if the CDC is being overly cautious.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been staying in Aruba 2 -3 weeks every year for the last ten years. Aruba has it's own desalination plant, and is some of the purest water in the world. It also has an amazing amount of fantastic restaurants, many of which are considered fine dining. Aruba is not a third world island, and they are constantly looking for ways to improve and beautify the island. I've never met anyone that gets shots to go there. The only shot that we get is our flu shot, although I think that there is a better chance of getting the flu from being on the ship than being in Aruba. I would not be concerned, and please, drink the water. It tastes a lot better than the water that I have at home.

Yes...most of the CARIBBEAN islands are fine to eat and drink...it's really Mexico (outside of resort venues) that you need to worry about.

Thanks, I think I will take my chances & forego the typhoid immunization. [emoji39]

I would be more concerned with mosquitos -- make sure you have repellent if you plan on being outdoors around dusk.

Thanks, I live in Florida, so I am very familiar with Zika. I will definitely have bug spray with deet with me!

We just returned from 10 days in Aruba with no problems at all...even with mosquito's. We always take the spray, in case we need it, but didn't have to use it once (and we spent every night outside either on the patio, the pool, shopping, out dining, horse & carriage rides and so on). :)

We just returned from 10 days in Aruba with no problems at all...even with mosquito's. We always take the spray, in case we need it, but didn't have to use it once (and we spent every night outside either on the patio, the pool, shopping, out dining, horse & carriage rides and so on). :)

Are you going to share with us your land vacation?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know not the same island. But my mom son and I got very sick during a stay at Beaches Turks Caicos. Turns out when the power goes out the water filtration system goes down. They didn’t tell us that until day 9 when some one brought in a glass of brownish water to guest services and we were sitting there. Only those who arrived a day early in our group got sick. Bottled water for me from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums