Cancelling Anthem due to No More Dynamic Dining

robbykapnj

We are reluctantly going to cancel due to the change in product and wanting a different dining experience while cruising.

-Robby

Excellent move. Putting your money where your mouth is. Good luck finding anything similar to DD. Is any other line foolish enough to do anything like it?

Edited by Ti2m

If you cancel over the dining...well, I doubt you wanted to go on this cruise in the first place. Out of the top 10 things this ship has to offer, DD is not one of them.

I just have to disagree, DD was a big draw for eventually cruising on her.

Disclaimer;

Never done DD so I don't fully understand it other than what I am reading here.

But, using MTD and making reservations in the different venues each night, including a night in the MDR, would that not be close?

On a typical 7-9 night cruise I'm surprised I use the MDR more than once

Sometimes not at all.

Dear Cruising Soozin,

I was on the ship two weeks after "hurricane cruise" last February one year ago. Martinique was open, we docked and everyone complained that everything was closed. St. Lucia was not in the agenda.

Cruising Soozin wasn't talking about your cruise, she was trying to correct your misconception that PortsideCruzan, post 14, was cancelling because RCCL switched Martinique for St. Lucia. They were cancelling because RCCL switched St. Lucia for Martinique and they had the same opinion as you about Martinique.

Dave

Hi All,

I cannot believe royal caribbean has decided to get rid of dynamic dining all of a sudden. With final payment approaching, we signed up for a well-advertised product. Royal Caribbean sold us on dynamic dining. This ship was built for this concept, and we were really looking forward to trying it out.

Many cruisecritic members have expressed disappointment. In addition, many cruisecritic members do not seem to understand the rush to end dynamic and why this or any further changes can't wait until next year when the traditional concept for this ship can be advertised to those booking.

I hope Royal Caribbean reconsiders this decision so we can experience the expansive and array of menus in different and changing venues. We are reluctantly going to cancel due to the change in product and wanting a different dining experience while cruising.

-Robby

DD was a disaster - nothing to miss...

But, using MTD and making reservations in the different venues each night, including a night in the MDR, would that not be close?

There won't be any "different" venue any more, just one "MDR" - you just make an MTD reservation like you do on all the other ships and you'll end up at a seat somewhere on deck 4.

Somehow, without much change, folks who think DD is a disaster will all of a sudden complain much less when it's rebranded as MTD?

I suspect many picky eaters did not want to eat in Silk or Chic, so their choices were fewer.

We were reluctant to try Silk and it turned out to be our favorite. If you wanted a plain salad and regular old potatoes instead of rice etc. they brought it. The hibachi steak was excellent. The waiters kept bringing all kinds of food to the table, short ribs, spring rolls etc. we cancelled Chic to go back to Silk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Didn't DD Classic force you into those two? Maybe that was your chance to try Chops, etc...

Sure, and that probably exacerbated the situation because those empty DD Classic tables were probably unable to be used by others.

We were reluctant to try Silk and it turned out to be our favorite. If you wanted a plain salad and regular old potatoes instead of rice etc. they brought it. The hibachi steak was excellent. The waiters kept bringing all kinds of food to the table, short ribs, spring rolls etc. we cancelled Chic to go back to Silk.

Sounds very interesting, I'm sorry we didn't get to experience it.

My specific question was can a person on DD Classic request in advance which room they will be assigned to for the 12 nights, Grande or Chic. Also, can a person on DD/MTD request in advance which room they will be assigned for the 12 nights, Silk or AI? The reply I got was not much help. I think she either didn't really know or I confused her with my question:

"To answer your question, for the assigned Grande and Chic you can go

between the two and for MyTime dining, you can either request Silk or

American Icon. But you can not request between the two (ex. Chic and Silk).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and have a great day!"

These are the FAQ's:

ANTHEM OF THE SEAS®

DYNAMIC DINING FAQS

1. Why is Royal Caribbean discontinuing Dynamic Dining onboard Anthem of the

Seas?

Feedback has shown a preference for a dining program that combines traditional seating with the option for

flexibility. With that in mind, beginning November 27th, 2016, Anthem of the Seas will offer the My Time

Dining program, with traditional and flexible options, as well as introduce new, upgraded dinner menus.

2. Which sailings will be impacted by this change?

All Anthem of the Seas sailings departing on-or-after November 27th, 2016.

(Please note that North American guests traveling to Australia/ New Zealand onboard Ovation of the Seas departing

November 23rd, 2016 through April 14th, 2017 will also be impacted by this change.)

3. Will booked guests be automatically converted from Dynamic Dining?

All active bookings on-or-after November 27th, 2016 on Anthem of the Seas will automatically convert to the

new dining program, respecting all pre-selected times, party sizes and other reservation features.

4. How does the flexible dining option differ from the traditional dining

experience?

The flexible option offers guests the ability to select their preferred seating time and table companions on a

daily basis between the hours of 6:00 pm and 9:30 pm. The traditional dining option allows the choice of

either early or late seating and offers a more consistent dining experience for the entirety of the cruise

vacation.

5. Will Anthem of the Seas sailings now have formal evenings?

Beginning November 27th, 2016, Anthem of the Seas will offer either one or two formal evenings per cruise,

dependent upon sailing length.

6. Will My Family Time Dining be offered as an option onboard Anthem of the

Seas?

Yes, families with small children can take advantage of My Family Time dining benefits while sailing onboard

Anthem of the Seas. This is available as part of the traditional dining experience during the early seating

time and can be reserved pre-cruise via Cruise Planner or once onboard. My Family Time dining allows

children ages 3-to-11 to enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating before heading to the evening’s

Adventure Ocean activities.

7. Will adjustments be made to the onboard dining venues? What restaurants will

be impacted?

The four (4) main restaurants – Chic, Grande, Silk, and American Icon– will now become the main dining

venues to support the My Time Dining program and will all feature the same upgraded dinner menu each

evening. My Time Dining flexible venues will be located on Deck 4 in American Icon and Silk, while Chic

and Grande will be designated as the early and late seating restaurants on Deck 3. The name and décor of

each venue will remain unchanged.

8. Once these changes go into effect, will guests have the ability to experience

more than one dining venue during their cruise vacation?

Based on the preferred dining selection, guests will automatically be assigned to dine in one of the main

dining restaurants for the entirety of their cruise. They will enjoy the benefit of consistent wait staff and table

companions each evening at dinner. Specialty dining options remain available for those guests wishing to

experience multiple dining venues.

9. How will dining menus be impacted by this change?

New, upgraded dinner menus will be introduced each evening in all four main dining restaurants. Each

restaurant will feature distinctive, new dishes alongside your clients’ classic favorites shared between the

four restaurants. Every night there will be a new, upgraded dinner menu to explore, offering delectable

dishes to tantalize the palette of even the savviest foodie.

10. In addition to the dining enhancements, will guests notice any other changes

while sailing onboard Anthem of the Seas?

To enhance the overall guest experience, we are making adjustments to our daily entertainment schedule to

ensure a more convenient line-up of show times that complement the evening dining options. In addition, to

give more guests the opportunity to experience the revolutionary Ripcord by iFly and North Star attractions,

we will be adding support staff onboard to accommodate expanded hours of operation.

11. How will large group bookings be impacted by this dining change onboard

Anthem of the Seas?

With the change from Dynamic Dining to My Time Dining, large groups will now experience a faster, more

simplified experience not only during the pre-cruise planning process, but also while onboard. Groups of up

to 400 guests can now be seated together at the same dining time. As always, to coordinate group dining

accommodations, please contact our team of experts within the Trade Support & Service department.

I still will not pack for the possible two formal nights so if you are on our cruise close your eyes when I sit down to eat in the dining room on formal nights with my sundress or capri's and pretty top on. I wouldn't want to shock anyone into losing their appetite by my appearance. LOL. I frankly don't care what you have on.

I also was really looking forward to the four "free" dining venues with the different menus. I'm disappointed but I will certainly get over it. As long as the food is hot, unlike the Majesty, and tasty all is good.

How is this going to be possible with assigned seating for early or late. Does this mean you will be seated as you arrive to the restaurant, and not dining with the same people every night? I can see it working for MTD, but not for early or late, unless they plan on doing it the same as breakfast or lunch.

How is this going to be possible with assigned seating for early or late. Does this mean you will be seated as you arrive to the restaurant, and not dining with the same people every night? I can see it working for MTD, but not for early or late, unless they plan on doing it the same as breakfast or lunch.

Good catch, that is odd

Since this is a work in progress, nothing will be known for sure until it starts.

Somehow, without much change, folks who think DD is a disaster will all of a sudden complain much less when it's rebranded as MTD?

Turned out that I am not fan of RC product all together - rebranded or not.

Will go back to X. To everyone who likes it - Happy sails.

Im trying to understand the changed options...is there an option to dine at any time, as in walk in any time I want to walk in, at a main dining restaurant?

Officially form RCCL:

The four (4) main restaurants – Chic, Grande, Silk, and American Icon– will now become the main dining venues to support the My Time Dining program and will all feature the same upgraded dinner menu each evening. My Time Dining flexible venues will be located on Deck 4 in American Icon and Silk, while Chic and Grande will be designated as the early and late seating restaurants on Deck 3. The name and décor of each venue will remain unchanged.

Based on the preferred dining selection, guests will automatically be assigned to dine in one of the main dining restaurants for the entirety of their cruise. They will enjoy the benefit of consistent wait staff and table companions each evening at dinner. Specialty dining options remain available for those guests wishing to experience multiple dining venues.

Edited by kutchyone