First Night Dinner in the Steakhouse

rkacruiser

We just got back from the Magic and went to the steakhouse the first night and also just opted for free bottle of chardonnay. We actually were a little disappointed in the whole ambiance of the steakhouse, first it was really crowded at full capacity and very noisy. Our servers weren't very detailed about steak options and we stated it was our first time attending. Didn't realize it until the table behind us had different servers and they were so much better the entire meal. The food while it was good I wouldn't say it was that superior to the DR selections we had later in the week afterward with no additional cost. We have done the Cucina restaurant with upcharge and thought it was great and will attend again. Just not sure the steakhouse with our experience was worth the additional $70.

13cheermom,

I appreciate your input. Thank you. I will be sailing on Carnival Liberty. If the Carnival vessels onboard experience is anything like what I have found at times on HAL ships, one's experience can differ from one ship/cruise to another ship/cruise.

A question concerning the Steakhouse being so busy: Did you make reservations prior to boarding? If not, did you have any difficulty in obtaining the time you wished to dine once you embarked?

So much of Carnival's experiences are standardized, I was surprised cheer's experience in the steakhouse was not good. We did the steakhouse on two different ships (not the Magic though) and the ambiance, décor, and experience were like a chain - and we thoroughly enjoyed both experiences, including the half-price bottles of Kendall Jackson. Being a foodie, I think the MDR food is passable, but nothing special, in general. There are areas where Carnival consistently fails in the MDR (e.g., puny lobster tails and fried shrimp) and areas that impress me (e.g., chocolate mellllllting cake yummmm, bagels and lox). Otherwise I think MDR food is good but not very good and far from great. Both of our experiences in the steakhouse were very good or great, particularly the rack of lamb and surf-n-turf. At this point I will gladly pay the $35/person supplement to get a break from MDR food for foodie food. Our first cruise on Magic will be in April, 2017 and I'm wondering if Magic is offering a lesser experience in the steakhouse than the east coast ships. Any other input would be appreciated! As for wine, please go for the half price bottle, not the free bottle, unless you know yourself to be someone who just likes "any" wine.

13cheermom,

A question concerning the Steakhouse being so busy: Did you make reservations prior to boarding? If not, did you have any difficulty in obtaining the time you wished to dine once you embarked?

I actually made reservations well in advance and we went a little early and got seated immediately at a window seat. I'm wondering if the first night wine offer is attracting the larger crowds and could be the groups that were in there at that time. But we were really looking forward to the experience even though I had read another negative review about the magic's steakhouse. But hope you do have a better experience on the Liberty! Maybe we will try it again but not on the free wine night, because honestly we are not really wine drinkers and went more for the food experience. As far as the DR food we actually had excellent lobster and filets while we onboard the Magic compared to other DR experiences on other ships (Sunshine, Glory, & Breeze). This was just our experience a few weeks ago.

13cheermom,

Thanks for your reply! I almost never make an advance reservation for anything, other than specific short excursions that I really want to do, before embarking. What you have described with the experience of the Steakhouse being busy will cause me to make an online reservation if I am able to do so.

But, what time for a Steakhouse reservation? I don't want to miss that first night's performance in the Showroom. If there is anything that stands out in my memory about my past Carnival cruises, it is the entertainment. While I enjoy good food and drink, I don't want to miss the show, either!

Edited by rkacruiser

13cheermom,

Thanks for your reply! I almost never make an advance reservation for anything, other than specific short excursions that I really want to do, before embarking. What you have described with the experience of the Steakhouse being busy will cause me to make an online reservation if I am able to do so.

But, what time for a Steakhouse reservation? I don't want to miss that first night's performance in the Showroom. If there is anything that stands out in my memory about my past Carnival cruises, it is the entertainment. While I enjoy good food and drink, I don't want to miss the show, either!

When went on Thursday we made our reservation for 6:30. I snapped a picture of my dessert at 8:09. (I think I made the reservation a week or so ahead of sail date)

It was first night of the cruise but I don't think the steakhouse was even half full when we got there. It filled out some later. I'd plan on 2 hours for dinner.

sent from my galaxy tab a

• 4 months later...
I read there are discounts on wine or free wine at the steakhouse the first night also. But I also read somewhere that there is often discounts or deals on the Steakhouse pricing the first night as well. Anyone else heard about this?

SAILING IN SIX DAYS WOOT!

I'm pretty sure the steakhouse is 35 bucks per person every night. We've only been on 2 Carnival cruises so far but both cruises we went to the steakhouse and it was 35 bucks each. (One was on first night and we took the free bottle and the other was in the middle of a 7 day cruise) It's a great deal in my opinion. The free wine is a choice of red or white and if you don't like what they have for free you can buy something else at 50% off.

• 2 months later...

Hi, gang -- we are sailing the Liberty in September and wondered if the free bottle of wine deal was still a thing on the first night?

Also, any suggestion on which night to eat at the Steakhouse? My initial thought was the last night (a seaday).

Here is a question in regards to the free bottle of wine on the first night.

I booked a reservation for my family of four for the first night. However I also added to the reservation 3 more for my friend, his girlfriend and his son. Total for the reservation is 7 people. 4 adults, 3 children. They are on a separate cruise booking than us. Can they get a bottle of wine as well? Or are all of us supposed to share ONE bottle of wine?

I love the steakhouse and went the first night. We were given the choice of a free bottle of red or white wine or we could pick from some others for 1/2 off. We chose the free bottle of red. It was so gross, I couldn't even finish a glass, and I love red wine.

I love the steakhouse and went the first night. We were given the choice of a free bottle of red or white wine or we could pick from some others for 1/2 off. We chose the free bottle of red. It was so gross, I couldn't even finish a glass, and I love red wine.

Cannot speak to the free bottle of red wine, but, as you found out, the 50% of a bottle that you hopefully would enjoy is a better option. The old cliche of "you get what you pay for" seems to apply.

It's supposed to be one bottle per reservation, not table. So if you go with another couple they should make their own reservation and ask to sit together.

We did and the hostess was still claiming 1 bottle per table. A lengthy chat with the head of the steakhouse finally corrected the problem but if we hadn't had that lengthy chat it would have been 1 bottle per table.