Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer TA1-660| TRACY ARM FJORD

knittinggirl

The ship heads into Tracy Arm Fjord almost as far it's going to, and the excursion boat meets the ship there. They open a tender platform and you board the boat from there. It's been three steps up to get into the boat every time that I recall. There are several ship's crew standing there to help you into the boat.

Here's an overhead view just after the last passengers reboarded after the tour: Cruise2014-BFAB

Here are some additional views:

Cruise2015-4002

Cruise2014-BECA

I am so bummed - I booked this excursion for our May 11th cruise on the Solstice back in January and my money was refunded and the excursion disappeared from my booking. No explanation or email. This is my first Celebrity Cruise and the lack of communication is disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am so bummed - I booked this excursion for our May 11th cruise on the Solstice back in January and my money was refunded and the excursion disappeared from my booking. No explanation or email. This is my first Celebrity Cruise and the lack of communication is disappointing.

Just a guess here, but May 11 might be a little early for that excursion. A few years ago we took an early May cruise, and the excursion wasn't available. I emailed the excursion provider to ask about it, and they told me they didn't start offering the excursion until the end of May.

Just a guess here, but May 11 might be a little early for that excursion. A few years ago we took an early May cruise, and the excursion wasn't available. I emailed the excursion provider to ask about it, and they told me they didn't start offering the excursion until the end of May.
Ours cruise is May 13-20, I think we do TracyArm near the halfway point.

We cruised the Noordam last fall, and really enjoyed it.

I knew it was early and we may not even be able to get into Tracy Arm, however, the excursion was available to book on the Celebrity website and my final payment confirmation had it listed as purchased. I only found out it must have been cancelled when I noticed a refund to my CC (no official notice was sent so I assume this is the case).

I just plunked down nearly $500 (total for 2 people) for this one excursion! :eek: It will be the only excursion we do on the entire cruise. Will be on the NCL Bliss inaugural Seattle to Alaska on June 2, 2018. Will be in Juneau on June 5. The Bliss is in Juneau from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm. Our excursion starts at 1:15 and will be 5 hours long so I guess we board the catamaran right before the Bliss leaves from Juneau and then will meet up with the ship 5 hours later at Tracy Arm (or substituting Endicott Arm if Tracy can't be reached).

I have never spent that much money on one excursion (until now!), but have read and heard really great things about this particular excursion. And after watching some YouTube videos today from people who have been on this excursion that is what really sold me. It looks incredible! Spectacular scenery and wildlife viewing! And of course the catamaran getting much closer to everything than the ship ever could.

Really looking forward to it! You only live once!

Edited by SeahawkSiren

I just plunked down nearly $500 (total for 2 people) for this one excursion! :eek: It will be the only excursion we do on the entire cruise. Will be on the NCL Bliss inaugural Seattle to Alaska on June 2, 2018. Will be in Juneau on June 5. The Bliss is in Juneau from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm. Our excursion starts at 1:15 and will be 5 hours long so I guess we board the catamaran right before the Bliss leaves from Juneau and then will meet up with the ship 5 hours later at Tracy Arm (or substituting Endicott Arm if Tracy can't be reached).

I have never spent that much money on one excursion (until now!), but have read and heard really great things about this particular excursion. And after watching some YouTube videos today from people who have been on this excursion that is what really sold me. It looks incredible! Spectacular scenery and wildlife viewing! And of course the catamaran getting much closer to everything than the ship ever could.

Really looking forward to it! You only live once!

I'm just curious, why is this the only excursion your doing on the cruise? We enjoyed it, but we did other things on our cruise that were even better. We saw a little wildlife, a bear, some seals, but not a ton. The best part was definitely getting so close to the glacier and seeing it calving when you're that close. The small boat rocks quite a bit when it was calving!

For our excursion, which was on Carnival (so I think it's done differently than other lines), this was actually our cheapest excursion I think, or close to it.

I'm just curious, why is this the only excursion your doing on the cruise? We enjoyed it, but we did other things on our cruise that were even better. We saw a little wildlife, a bear, some seals, but not a ton. The best part was definitely getting so close to the glacier and seeing it calving when you're that close. The small boat rocks quite a bit when it was calving!

For our excursion, which was on Carnival (so I think it's done differently than other lines), this was actually our cheapest excursion I think, or close to it.

We only have so much money to go around. And IMO, $500 is a lot of money to spend on one excursion. We have been on two other Alaska cruises so have been to all these ports before and have done other excursions previously. We will just DIY in the other ports on this trip and do some hiking and other things we enjoy.

We did not do this Tracy Arm excursion on our other two Alaska cruises because of the cost but decided to fork over the money this time. I know wildlife sightings are never guaranteed but it will still be a great excursion even if we don't see as much wildlife as I'm hoping. And getting that close to the glaciers will be amazing! And when I was watching the YouTube videos and seeing those small catamarans right next to the glaciers really put it to scale and showed how colossal in size those glaciers really are! Can't wait to experience that for myself!

And because we are sailing so early in the season (will be in Juneau on June 5), I'm wondering how close the Bliss would even be able to get to the glaciers so I think/hope we have a much better chance on the catamaran.

We only have so much money to go around. And IMO, $500 is a lot of money to spend on one excursion. We have been on two other Alaska cruises so have been to all these ports before and have done other excursions previously. We will just DIY in the other ports on this trip and do some hiking and other things we enjoy.

We did not do this Tracy Arm excursion on our other two Alaska cruises because of the cost but decided to fork over the money this time. I know wildlife sightings are never guaranteed but it will still be a great excursion even if we don't see as much wildlife as I'm hoping. And getting that close to the glaciers will be amazing! And when I was watching the YouTube videos and seeing those small catamarans right next to the glaciers really put it to scale and showed how colossal in size those glaciers really are! Can't wait to experience that for myself!

And because we are sailing so early in the season (will be in Juneau on June 5), I'm wondering how close the Bliss would even be able to get to the glaciers so I think/hope we have a much better chance on the catamaran.

Oh, well that makes more sense, having been on 2 others then! And I do hear ya' on the cost of Alaska excursions! We knew we'd do this only once, so we did everything we wanted the first time. And yes, getting up close was totally cool! We were there in July, and we still couldn't get into Tracy Arm though, we did Endicott instead. It was still neat!

27960162453_28f0dae0b2.jpg

Splash! by Cindy, on Flickr

And we did see a bear!

28497376321_bf51a7b2f5.jpg

Black bear by Cindy, on Flickr

Thanks for the great photos, Cindy! That is getting me even more excited about this excursion!

Yeah, that is what I am wondering about. If you were there in July and still couldn't get into Tracy Arm and I will be there in early June? I know it varies each year, so we shall see.

I mentioned earlier in this thread about YouTube videos. There are many great videos, but if you are interested, here is the link to the one that is my favorite and really convinced me to book this excursion (they couldn't get to South Sawyer glacier in May because of ice but did get to North Sawyer)! Now, if I can only get the same weather, level of wildlife viewing, glacier viewing, etc. on my excursion then everything will be perfect! :p

I am also bummed. I just noticed that our tour in September was also cancelled. I received no notice, no exploration. It only just became available to book at the first of this month. I jumped on it right away and it was cancelled on the 8th. I only looked because of this post. The lack of communication is disappointing.

I am also bummed. I just noticed that our tour in September was also cancelled. I received no notice' date=' no exploration. It only just became available to book at the first of this month. I jumped on it right away and it was cancelled on the 8th. I only looked because of this post. The lack of communication is disappointing.[/quote']

One of the members on my roll call signed up for another Tracy Arm Excursion listed (it is listed as an “Infinity” tour, but when she called Celebrity they confirmed it was available for those of us on the Solstice (it leaves/returns from Juneau and is a 7 hour tour). I purchased this one yesterday - we will see if it works out. I am not sure if this is an option on your September cruise, but might be something to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the members on my roll call signed up for another Tracy Arm Excursion listed (it is listed as an “Infinity” tour, but when she called Celebrity they confirmed it was available for those of us on the Solstice (it leaves/returns from Juneau and is a 7 hour tour). I purchased this one yesterday - we will see if it works out. I am not sure if this is an option on your September cruise, but might be something to check out.

Thank you, I'll take a look at it.

It’s basically just like getting on a tender boat. No different.

They just go to Endicott Arm instead. We did this the first week of May last year.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on this excursion in July. Can you please tell me what the catamaran experience is like? Does it ride well on the water or does it rock and roll? My elderly mother is on this excursion with us and I am concerned about her on board a catamaran.

The ship heads into Tracy Arm Fjord almost as far it's going to, and the excursion boat meets the ship there. They open a tender platform and you board the boat from there. It's been three steps up to get into the boat every time that I recall. There are several ship's crew standing there to help you into the boat.

Here's an overhead view just after the last passengers reboarded after the tour: Cruise2014-BFAB

Here are some additional views:

Cruise2015-4002

Cruise2014-BECA

And- this tour also starts and boards - outside of Tracy Arm. Depends on the ship schedule. There are several options.

But there aren't "handrails" etc for the transfer. Multiple staff "assistance" is available- but- there needs to be at least minimal ability to climb a few steps and have balance in and out of the boats.

We are booked on this excursion in July. Can you please tell me what the catamaran experience is like? Does it ride well on the water or does it rock and roll? My elderly mother is on this excursion with us and I am concerned about her on board a catamaran.

We had no problems on ours. The only rocking/rolling is when you're up next to the glacier and it was calving. It seemed bigger than what I normally think of for a catamaran, but I'm not a big boat person either. This is what it looks like...

28469255042_ee8c783b81.jpg

Tour boat by Cindy, on Flickr

Facts- what appears to be unknown is- the cruiselines- bulk load shore excursions- AND do so for shoulder season tours that may or may not run. They stack up bookings in case tours are able to operate. They then cancel when it's determined- closer to sailing that the tour is not going to operate. This is also a "surprise" to people in the case of glacier dog sledding tours in Sept- Pretty much a given they aren't going to operate but the thinking, since it's listed it's going to. Sometimes mention of this isn't accepted by the poster. :) This happens every season with May Tracy Arm sailings. It also is more likely it's also going to be an Endicott Arm sailing. so, perhaps consider the long history and join the guessing game. :) Continues to be a suggestion to have alternative plans thought out as well.

Facts- what appears to be unknown is- the cruiselines- bulk load shore excursions- AND do so for shoulder season tours that may or may not run. They stack up bookings in case tours are able to operate. They then cancel when it's determined- closer to sailing that the tour is not going to operate. This is also a "surprise" to people in the case of glacier dog sledding tours in Sept- Pretty much a given they aren't going to operate but the thinking, since it's listed it's going to. Sometimes mention of this isn't accepted by the poster. :) This happens every season with May Tracy Arm sailings. It also is more likely it's also going to be an Endicott Arm sailing. so, perhaps consider the long history and join the guessing game. :) Continues to be a suggestion to have alternative plans thought out as well.

So from what you are saying, I presume that Tracy Arm boat tour on May 20 will probably wind up being an Endicott Arm Tour? But not cancelled altogether, right?

Is Endicott Arm still a good tour? Worth 7 hours and over $200 per person? We will be in Juneau from 9am until 9pm, so hopefully still some time to spend inport.

Thanks for your advice!

Edited by mimijes

So from what you are saying, I presume that Tracy Arm boat tour on May 20 will probably wind up being an Endicott Arm Tour? But not cancelled altogether, right?

Is Endicott Arm still a good tour? Worth 7 hours and over $200 per person? We will be in Juneau from 9am until 9pm, so hopefully still some time to spend inport.

Thanks for your advice!

It isn't just about the glacier, in my opinion, it's the transit as well, and Tracy Arm is grossly superior to Endicott Arm in this regard. I have sailed both these areas multiple times. and am very picky and selective about my touring. So, my booking preferences would be different.

I wouldn't be booking this in advance, I'd find out direct from the vendor- where they are going- (still subject to change) then just book walk up. This is me- it won't matter if I don't go, I'd have a whole stack of ready do alternatives already lined up. :)

Thanks for your advice![/quote

If you are in Juneau from 9-9 book with Adventure Bound instead of thru the cruise line. Price is more in the $150pp range and by May 20 I'm sure they will be operating. Give them a call and ask Winona. I've gone out with them 1/2 dozen times and will repeat next visit again, fantastic day trip.