Wine question

mpat

I understand that it is allowed to bring one bottle of wine per person is at embarkation and more if you want to pay a corkage fee of $18 per bottle. We will be on a 21-day cruise. We will embark at Ft. Lauderdale and bring our one bottle per person, then after 11 days our ship will return to Ft. Lauderdale where more passengers will be embarking. Then, we'll continue for 10 more days. Can we bring on another bottle per person when we get back on in Ft. Lauderdale for second leg of the cruise without paying a corkage fee? In other words, can we bring 1 bottle per person on each leg of the cruise or just the initial boarding. If it matters, our cruise is considered an 11-day and a 10-day, but it's under one booking number.

If it is one booking number, it is one cruise, and thus the "free" limit is one bottle per person. Then corkage kicks in.

I commend Miss G for suggesting searching is a good idea.

The person collecting corkage fees at check-in (after going through the scanners) has no idea if you have one booking number or two nor do they care. We've done a few back-to-back (10 days-11 days) and Collector Voyages with two segments and have always brought on wines on both embarkation days without any problem. We pay the corkage fee for all bottles except two on each occasion.

The person collecting corkage fees at check-in (after going through the scanners) has no idea if you have one booking number or two nor do they care. We've done a few back-to-back (10 days-11 days) and Collector Voyages with two segments and have always brought on wines on both embarkation days without any problem. We pay the corkage fee for all bottles except two on each occasion.

This makes sense to me. The security people who check for wine and then the corkage fee collectors do not know if you are on a back to back.

Bleh. Darned search function. The only thread I could find without making this a full-time job is this one. Basically they say to show them your boarding pass for the 2nd leg.

Thanks so much, Miss G, for researching this for me! I did a little research on it, but wasn't as successful as you! I will only have one boarding pass, so it may not work to try it on the second leg, but I could try and chance it and see what happens, right?

This makes sense to me. The security people who check for wine and then the corkage fee collectors do not know if you are on a back to back.

Just a thought: B2B guests are given an in-transit pass if they choose to leave the ship for some time ashore. Showing that upon return to the ship might cause an issue for another bottle of wine to be brought aboard without a corkage fee. Just a thought, as I said. I have never done this so maybe others will post their experience.

Thanks, Taxmantoo. Did you have one boarding pass? Did you have to show it again when you boarded for the second segment? I may try it and we'll see what happens.

Just a thought: B2B guests are given an in-transit pass if they choose to leave the ship for some time ashore. Showing that upon return to the ship might cause an issue for another bottle of wine to be brought aboard without a corkage fee. Just a thought, as I said. I have never done this so maybe others will post their experience.

I believe your cruise card would show the dates you are on the ship for so it should be clear you are not embarking the ship that day. With that said do they really care?

I had no luck on previous cruises but I also didn't push the issue. I think it was the intransit pass that set off the "alarm". Now, things seem to have changed with the success stories.

I suspect my port for turnaround day (and we are on a B2B) won't have wine I want to buy (Dover, England), so we'll pay corkage when we are in France ;). But, if it does, I'll certainly report ;)

I believe your cruise card would show the dates you are on the ship for so it should be clear you are not embarking the ship that day. With that said do they really care?

"Do they really care?" Probably not and I don't think anyone really checks the cruise card closely for dates.

Thanks, Taxmantoo. Did you have one boarding pass? Did you have to show it again when you boarded for the second segment? I may try it and we'll see what happens.

You do not need a boarding pass as you do not have to check-in since you already have a room key. You show your in-transit card and you room key ... that gets you passed security who does not care about whether you are getting on for the first, second or hundreth time for that matter. They will spot the wine in your carry-on or whatever you use to carry it on (in our case, a cardboard box of 12 bottles) and send you to the person collecting corkage. You pay corkage on all but two bottles and you are on your way to the ship. Easy as that ... no need to complicate things more!

The bottles that you are NOT charged corkage on, are only for consumption in your stateroom (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken here). The ones you pay $18 for, can be consumed in your stateroom or in any of the dining venues. The bottles I bring on board, are all consumed in the dining rooms and restaurants, so I have paid corkage on each and every one. On my most recent trip (Volendam Asia itinerary), they were not set up to have corkage paid when we boarded, so I received ALL bottles to my room. I was charged $18 for each bottle brought to the dining room. I'm not sure if it depends on the ship, or the embarkation city -- but I asked to pay for the corkage on my bottles and no one knew what to do.

I'm not sure if it depends on the ship, or the embarkation city -- but I asked to pay for the corkage on my bottles and no one knew what to do.

That seems to happen quite often. On our last embarkation day, we brought a full case on (12 bottles) and the person collecting corkage absolutely did not want to charge us 12 corkage fees. He kept insisting that 2 were corkage free and I kept insisting that they were all for consumption in MDR or Pinnacle Grill and I wanted to pay for 12 bottles. I finally gave up, paid corkage for 10 bottles and got stickers for 10 bottles, and then paid corkage when we ultimately brought the other 2 bottles to dinner. It seems not every wine attendant gets the same e-mail for headquarters. ;p

The bottles that you are NOT charged corkage on, are only for consumption in your stateroom (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken here).

Correct. But you can still bring them to the dining room or specialty restaurant and then the corkage fee applies.

We just finished a Collector cruise on Koningsdam. We had 'In Transit' passes for Port Everglades. I had bought 4 bottles of wine while ashore in Fort Lauderdale and was quite prepared to pay the corkage, but when we returned to the terminal at 3.15 pm (all aboard was 3.30pm) the 'Corkage Desk' was no longer manned. So we had to take them onboard without paying corkage

;p Timing may be important ;p

We just finished a Collector cruise on Koningsdam. We had 'In Transit' passes for Port Everglades. I had bought 4 bottles of wine while ashore in Fort Lauderdale and was quite prepared to pay the corkage, but when we returned to the terminal at 3.15 pm (all aboard was 3.30pm) the 'Corkage Desk' was no longer manned. So we had to take them onboard without paying corkage

;p Timing may be important ;p

Interesting. Thank you for your post.