Coffee recommendations for a black coffee drinker!

chemmo

I do love my standard black coffee but with all those amazing concoctions at Cafe el Bachio which others should I try?

Last cruise, after reading rave reviews about Aspen Coffee I tried one and found it far too sweet....I tried another coffee, can’t remember its name, but it was like drinking vanilla custard, yuk! I don’t like creamy coffee or anything too sweet but I do like orange based liqueurs and cognac if that helps with your suggestions....

So what should I try? Open to any suggestions either alcoholic or non alcoholic. Next cruise is on Reflection and I have a premium drinks package if that makes any difference....

Failing your responses I will just have to stick with my usual Americano!

You would probably like a Caffè Corretto, which is an espresso with a shot of grappa. You can also “correct” the coffee with a shot of Sambuca if you prefer. Not sweet at all unless you add sugar.

Oooo sounds nice, had to look up what ‘grappa’ was... I might even fancy one of them without the coffee!

I will definitely give these a go!

Oooo sounds nice, had to look up what ‘grappa’ was... I might even fancy one of them without the coffee!

I will definitely give these a go!

Grappa is basically Italian moonshine, and I love a good one. [emoji16]. The odds are that the server will not understand what you're asking for, at least that was my experience on the Equinox back in Nov. so once you explain it, you'll probably get an espresso and a shot of alcohol in separate glasses. I didn't notice any grappa bottles on my cruise so another good substitute would be brandy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The odds are that the server will not understand what you're asking for, at least that was my experience on the Equinox back in Nov. so once you explain it, you'll probably get an espresso and a shot of alcohol in separate glasses. I didn't notice any grappa bottles on my cruise so another good substitute would be brandy. Sambuca is on the sweet side and tastes like black licorice.

Grappa is basically Italian moonshine, and I love a good one. [emoji16]. The odds are that the server will not understand what you're asking for, at least that was my experience on the Equinox back in Nov. so once you explain it, you'll probably get an espresso and a shot of alcohol in separate glasses. I didn't notice any grappa bottles on my cruise so another good substitute would be brandy.

Yes, grappa is like the love child of brandy and rocket fuel. And my caffè corretto has always arrived in kit form - cup of espresso plus glass of grappa - on the ship, but I don’t mind pouring the grappa into the coffee.

Yes, grappa is like the love child of brandy and rocket fuel. And my caffè corretto has always arrived in kit form - cup of espresso plus glass of grappa - on the ship, but I don’t mind pouring the grappa into the coffee.
Lol. I've had some bad grappa that I would say we're not a love child but just unadulterated ticket fuel. A really good grappa on the other hand will go down as easy as water, just with better taste.

Lol. I've had some bad grappa that I would say we're not a love child but just unadulterated ticket fuel. A really good grappa on the other hand will go down as easy as water, just with better taste.

Forgive my ignorance....are there specific brands of grappa that are better that one can ask for by name?

Since you have a drink package just try all of them. Doesn’t cost any extra and if you don’t like it get something different.

I drink a lot of coffee and have a Jura Espresso Machine. Personally all I mostly have is an Americano because I don’t like all those sweet syrups and flavors and don’t need the calories or tons of sugars that they contain.

So I would recommend an Americano if you like plain black coffee. To me if the coffee is good you don’t need to ruin it with all that’s other stuff.

With the drink pack you can also get the coffees with a few shots of liquor. In the afternoon we sometimes get espresso over ice with Kahlua, Baileys, Frangelica, vodka, Grand Marnier and rum. It is similar to a Bushwacker.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

With the drink pack you can also get the coffees with a few shots of liquor. In the afternoon we sometimes get espresso over ice with Kahlua, Baileys, Frangelica, vodka, Grand Marnier and rum. It is similar to a Bushwacker.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Wow! That would whack me out for the rest of the cruise!

I agree with Ed, an Americano at Cafe Al Bacio is my go to black coffee drink.

I agree, and will add that it is available at any location that has an espresso machine nearby. For example, I get a cup every morning up in the buffet. Free with drink packages, and usually ordered through a "bar waiter", or regular waiter who then turns the order over to the area's bar waiter, or just go to the drink counter and order directly from them. Cafe Americano not only tastes great, but is very hot, which is important to me. No cream for me, I just ask them to top off the mug with hot water, which is hit or miss getting that. My wife says that I have a cast iron stomach.....

Cafe Americano must be very commonly ordered since I never had a waiter not know what I was asking for. The same goes for Princess cruises.

I agree with Ed, an Americano at Cafe Al Bacio is my go to black coffee drink.

That is the snag....it is mine too, so much so that after my two ‘misses’ last cruise Americano was all that I did drink and I would like to be a bit adventurous! Hence the request for some alternatives. I am sure Americano will be my ‘wake up’ coffee but I would like to try a few different ones during the cruise...

Cafe Americano must be very commonly ordered since I never had a waiter not know what I was asking for. The same goes for Princess cruises.

If you really want to mess them up ask for a “Long Black”. It is the way I make it at home. It is basically the same as a Americano but the water is added first and then the espresso. It leaves the crema on top

Here is a video explains the difference.

Drink up

Sincere thanks to all who have replied to my question!

I am determined to give your suggestions a go.

As Miched pointed out, with the drinks package, you have nothing to loose trying something new! I must say pre drinks package I used to stick with the ‘same old reliable know and tasted’ wines and cocktails....it is a real perk to experiment without gazing sadly at a drink that has cost $$$ and the best bit about it is the pinapple garnish!

So, to extend my question further (please keep coffee suggestions going), as a previous ‘conservative’ drinker do any of you have wine, cocktail or liqueur suggestions too? Remember I don’t like anything too sweet....I have already today been introduced to two liqueurs today I had never heard of!

Only a couple of weeks now until boarding, can’t wait!

Like you , I like my coffee black , I like a double shot

Americano , we used to order coffees and OJ from the bar at the ocean view cafe at breakfast

DH tried the Kingston ( very nice )

I like affogato ( espresso poured over vanilla ice cream )

A black coffee and a brandy in the sunset bar is an excellent end to the evening

Kahlua is similar to Tia Maria , only much nicer

Or you could just drink the coffee and have 3 fingers of Irish Whiskey on the side.....try Jameson......;)not sweet at all..........

I always drink 'long black's in NZ and find the Americano has too much hot water so ask for a double espresso, ask for a small jug of water if it is too strong. I find it is best not to confuse the waiters so stick with what is on the menu or you will find what turns up is never consistant.