Sneaky HAL - careful changing older reservations that had REFUNDABLE deposits

Oceansaway17

So I had a refundable deposit on a reservation for a trip to Alaska in 2019.

All I did was ask to move it back two weeks. Apparently HAL has to made a new booking number and not just change current number (which BTW most cruise lines don't change the booking number.)

In doing this the new number thus changed my deposit from A refundable to now --- 50% refundable AND 50% non refundable. I guess they thought they would cut me a break. Really HAL.

I am not only annoyed but perplexed at the continued sneakiness from HAL.

Other lines may have a $100 fee change or a non refundable deposit but at least they don't try to pull the wool over my eyes with so called creating a new booking number.

Me thinks that HAL is going to annoy more and more folks. They must really be hard up for cash in spite of Carnival Corp overall success this year.

That is why this AK cruise will be my last with HAL.

I have several bookings with NCL and Disney, If I have to make a change or cancel, they say NO PROBLEM it's okay life happens.

So until the new promo goes away be careful of ANY changes on any reservations. The agent did not mention and told me I would see a new email with all the details. Sneaky %^&*%$

I would call back, complain, and tell them you want to change it back. Since you were not told the change.

I thought about it but lately when I call I seem to get the same guy who rattles his phone and mumbles.

Besides I got a lower price and well I like the fact that HAL gets the licenses to do the Glacier National Park and it goes to Sitka.

The point of losing $175 of my $350 if I need to change is annoying but I wanted to warn others in case their deposits were much higher.

But thanks for your reply. I am baffled what HAL is doing these days.

I research the industry and get Cruise travel magazine and go on all the blogs.

HAL seems to have some of the most harsh policies right now. oh well

Whenever you chance your reservation, you are going to get a new booking number. Your TA should have made sure you didn't forfeit your 100% non-refundable deposit. We recently changed our Grand Asia from the original 82-night to the new 89 night, and we got a new booking number. But since we were on the same ship and retained the original 82 nights, plus the new 7 nights, we lost none of our original benefits.

There is nothing sneaky about this. If I understand you correctly, you chose a different sailing.

Edited by Tampa Girl
Adding.

The point is that HAL should have cautioned you that the change would be to a non-refundable deposit. I agree that you have a good case here to get an accommodation from HAL. MAKE A STINK11

Definitely you should have been told about the non-refundable part, before you signed on the dotted line!

We changed a booking, and did end up with a non-refundable deposit, but we saved quite a bit on the cost, our PCC told us how it worked up front, and we accepted the risk, and actually are only risking our future cruise deposit - and we don't plan to miss the cruise!:)

Did you make The change direct with HAL or through your TA:? Have you discussed this with your TA? a l l terms should have been made perfectly clear to you when making ghe change.

Edited by sail7seas

If you booked this without a TA, call HAL and insist on speaking to a supervisor. (You will always get a new booking number when you change the date of the cruise.) HAL seems to have several pricing structures at the present time and the nonrefundable deposit and fare is causing a lot of angst. I suspect you were given a lower fare because it was nonrefundable but it’s hard to compare fares because of the date change. You may be able to change to a refundable deposit at a higher fare. Then you will at least be given the choice...refundable or nonrefundable. I suspect that only a supervisor can make changes to this new booking which was made without your understanding of the conditions of the sale.

I don't like the way HAL is making nearly every cruise a non-refundable cruise fare or non-refundable, etc.

HAL is making a lot of people mad here on CC.

Ah yes the "a lot" of people. AKA the same 5 people complaining over and over.:confused:

If I go on line and try to check prices for my already existing booking it only shows me non-refundable prices. (and the sale now shows the price is $500 pp more than what we paid when we booked. I love HAL's "Sale price"!

This non refundable thing happened to me the first time a couple of years ago (2016) when I booked a very expensive cruise. The HAL agent I spoke to originally did not call it a "non-refundable" fare, but said it was a "reduced deposit" fare. Sounded good to me. It wasn't until a couple of months later when I called for some reason that I found out the fare was also non-refundable!

I don't like the way HAL is making nearly every cruise a non-refundable cruise fare or non-refundable, etc.

I don't believe that they are. From what the posters have reported, you can get a refundable fare if you look at the website carefully or request it.

Same thing happened for a week or two after Explore4 went off sale. I suspect this will go away again when the new promotion comes out.

The point is that HAL should have cautioned you that the change would be to a non-refundable deposit. I agree that you have a good case here to get an accommodation from HAL. MAKE A STINK11

They probably did, but no one read the fine print.,

The point is during Sea days promo it should be for NEW bookings.

I have done changes with agents before and never had this happen with deposits.

BTW, most other cruiselines keep same booking number.

To me I say how convenient theit system has to assign new booking number. Quite a way to let the computer snag ya into a setup. Even Carnival keeps same booking number.

That is why I admire NCL and Disney. They treat people better.

My agent says she is seeing a decline in HAL bookings because of the games they play.

To me I say how convenient theit system has to assign new booking number. Quite a way to let the computer snag ya into a setup. Even Carnival keeps same booking number.

The number is not the problem. The number is just that, a number. It is just a way to identify you and the cruise you booked in their computer system. The problem is their policy and their representative not advising you of the effects of changing your reservation, regardless of the number they arbitrarily assign to identify you.

I am NOT liking the way HAL seems to be doing bookings lately.

NOT the way to do business with cruisers who plan months if not well over a year in advance.

It really troubles me.

I do know, now, that if we do book our first cruise with HAL, we will be very diligent about the different fares, refundable or not, etc...

It can't be a set-up if one is informed....

Now that we know about this situation, we know to request info on all the fare options that might be available.

Also, if there are fares that are full-prepayment, non-refundable, I would look into a cruise/travel insurance policy that includes "cancel for any reason".... That could possibly be less of a risk than the deposit or pre-payment one would have to make at booking.

NEVER seen these kinds of issues on Princess....

HOWEVER.... Yes, a new cruise, and especially even a new date, will always be a new booking.

Some people have said that, on occasion, Princess has added a simple new flash promotion offer (like free gratuities), to a recent booking, when requested... But, that is the same sailing, same ship, etc... And, usually if one wants to get the current promotions, even on there existing sailing, yes, it would be re-booking, at the current fare, and current deposit offer.

The number is not the problem. The number is just that, a number. It is just a way to identify you and the cruise you booked in their computer system. The problem is their policy and their representative not advising you of the effects of changing your reservation, regardless of the number they arbitrarily assign to identify you.[/quote

No by making a new number the system thinls it is new. AGAIN let me say other lines do not create a new booking. Thusly the computer can't make new assumptions and rules for any older booking.

HAL is sneaky but hey go on loving them if you must. I am wise to their new practices:mad:

Ah yes the "a lot" of people. AKA the same 5 people complaining over and over.:confused:

What you have time to keep track. Folks can complain and warn others. As someone who studies the industry and goes on a variety of cruiselines, I can say HAL is hitting a new low.

Guess Carnival corp makes their money this way but Ncl and Disney do not play games.

The point is during Sea days promo it should be for NEW bookings.

I have done changes with agents before and never had this happen with deposits.

BTW, most other cruiselines keep same booking number.

That is why I admire NCL and Disney. They treat people better.

My agent says she is seeing a decline in HAL bookings because of the games they play.

So, you do have a TA and have decided to keep your new booking?

Better numbers than the one person who's always complaining about the complainers. ;)

You should have been notified of your options: the new date will cost $X with a refundable deposit and $Y without.

There are careless HAL reps, careless TA's and careless PCC's that don't give details, sadly.

There are also some great ones that give full warning and disclosure.

It behooves us all to ask the pertinent questions these days and not take anything for granted.

Unfortunately, the term "cateat emptor" aka "buyer beware" is more and more important these days.

It does sound like the OP was talking to Seatlle and experiences, answers, etc. Can vary hugely when calling there.

I stick to a PCC or a TA that I know I can trust to give me the straight goods.