Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

JP.

You had to bring up the packing issue...you guys are such successful packers.

To my great chagrin, I am not, well I can pack a suitcase, it's just that I overpack and end up with multiple suitcases.

Oh well, packing envy here.

Enjoy the evening or what remains of it.

:-)

Hi......well, my Dell Laptop is not working. I am using an older HP right now..........stupidest thing, the message on the Dell says it "does not recognize the adapter"...........the same thing happened about a year ago and a friend of mine who works in our I.T. Dept sent it back to Dell for me........it is the same one we sent back and the same thing is happening again:eek: maybe I should just stick with this HP. I went tot Best Buy and was going to buy a new adapter.....well, when we plugged it in to test it.......it still said "NOT CHARGING"............:mad:so who knows what the hell is going on:(

Even if I use this one, how am I supposed to get stuff off that one onto here?.......I will have to ask my friend again.....hopefully she will be able to do something on Monday.

I am happy at least I have this one.:)

Hi......well, my Dell Laptop is not working. I am using an older HP right now..........stupidest thing, the message on the Dell says it "does not recognize the adapter"...........the same thing happened about a year ago and a friend of mine who works in our I.T. Dept sent it back to Dell for me........it is the same one we sent back and the same thing is happening again:eek: maybe I should just stick with this HP. I went tot Best Buy and was going to buy a new adapter.....well, when we plugged it in to test it.......it still said "NOT CHARGING"............:mad:so who knows what the hell is going on:(

Even if I use this one, how am I supposed to get stuff off that one onto here?.......I will have to ask my friend again.....hopefully she will be able to do something on Monday.

I am happy at least I have this one.:)

Lois,

https://www.dell.com/community/General/PC-not-recognizing-AC-adapter-although-it-is-working-well/td-p/3879749

Hi Jeff, thanks for the link.........I think I may be in the group of "not buying a Dell again"............

Boy, this happens alot (seems so from all those replies).

Lois, if you select Dells carefully they make good value machines that last. All machines can have issues but it's important to spec out what it is you want to use it for and to buy a decent match.

My company use to manage the customer sat programmes for almost all of the PC companies at some time or other including Dell and HP and many more. I have recently bought a Dell and it would have cost me more to build it myself particularly since the graphics card went into short supply as people were buying them for bitcoin mining.

The art is to be very clear with yourself what it is you want it to do and then don't buy function you don't need.

JP.

To my great chagrin, I am not, well I can pack a suitcase, it's just that I overpack and end up with multiple suitcases.

Aw, didn't mean it that way. It has taken us years of travel to get to this point, as we were terrible overpackers at first. We do carry-on only when we do our short 3-4 day Europe hops. Otherwise we check bags, even if they are rollaboard size. We will be tested on our packing ability shortly, as we start assembling our stuff for Australia this weekend. We leave on Wednesday.

I am working this last weekend before we go - must be to remind me why I need a vacation. ;p Hopefully it won't be too busy. We also need to find some time tomorrow to go to the vet's office and pick up Ashley's ashes. Sad to say, I still really miss that cat. The other one is so aloof and it's just not the same. But, life goes on!

Lois, if you select Dells carefully they make good value machines that last. All machines can have issues but it's important to spec out what it is you want to use it for and to buy a decent match.

My company use to manage the customer sat programmes for almost all of the PC companies at some time or other including Dell and HP and many more. I have recently bought a Dell and it would have cost me more to build it myself particularly since the graphics card went into short supply as people were buying them for bitcoin mining.

The art is to be very clear with yourself what it is you want it to do and then don't buy function you don't need.

I agree..........I don't use lots of bells and whistles but this is sad...same problem within 2 years.......I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money to get it fixed.....I could buy a brand new HP for not much more than fixing the Dell. So I will use this HP for now and see what my friend at work says......she is really an expert in the I.T. field.

I agree..........I don't use lots of bells and whistles but this is sad...same problem within 2 years.......I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money to get it fixed.....I could buy a brand new HP for not much more than fixing the Dell. So I will use this HP for now and see what my friend at work says......she is really an expert in the I.T. field.

Sometimes simply updating the drivers can sort the type of problem you appear to have, but as your friend is an expert she should be able to sort it out. It shouldn't require replacing.

Greetings Coolers! Daylight Savings Time starts for us and our neighbours to the South early tomorrow morning.

Here is a link to an interesting article about it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/daylight-saving-time-1.4567430

Some bits from the article:

"Though it was originally proposed as a way of conserving energy a 2008 study in the U.S. showed that it may not necessarily be the case, finding there is a "tradeoff between reducing demand for lighting and increasing demand for heating and cooling."

It was standardized across the U.S. in 1966 when Congress passed the Uniform Time Act, and Canada soon followed suit.

You may have heard that Benjamin Franklin first introduced the concept of DST, but that's not entirely true.

In a letter to the editor of the Journal of Paris in 1784, Franklin suggested that Parisians could save on candles by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning. The only thing was, he was joking.

According to timeanddate.com, less than 40 per cent of countries around the world follow DST. China and India don't follow it, and Russia dropped it in 2014. "

Have a great day all!

JP.

Hi Spins,

You have to be exceedingly strict with yourself and make all your possible garment combinations work together to produce multiple outfits. I used to think that I'd be bored wearing the same things over and over, but I usually ended up with clothes I hadn't worn and still hadn't been bored. OTOH, the boredom of waiting for checked luggage never goes away.

You also have to totally prune down non-clothes items and have a plan of where to buy along the way if things go pear shaped, and of course laundry facilities are vital.

Following my own advice, I am just about to board a 10 day Caribbean cruise followed immediately with 10 days in England and am doing it with one roll aboard and one smallish backpack.

PS I absolutely rely on vacuum bags - not so much to cram more in but to keep it all organized and, if caught in the rain, dry.

Just thought everyone should know that after today's matches Ireland will be 6 Nations Champions this year and need to beat England next week for only their third ever Grand Slam.

That might not mean much to a lot of you out there but it means a lot to me!

Hi Spins,

You have to be exceedingly strict with yourself and make all your possible garment combinations work together to produce multiple outfits. I used to think that I'd be bored wearing the same things over and over, but I usually ended up with clothes I hadn't worn and still hadn't been bored. OTOH, the boredom of waiting for checked luggage never goes away.

You also have to totally prune down non-clothes items and have a plan of where to buy along the way if things go pear shaped, and of course laundry facilities are vital.

Following my own advice, I am just about to board a 10 day Caribbean cruise followed immediately with 10 days in England and am doing it with one roll aboard and one smallish backpack.

PS I absolutely rely on vacuum bags - not so much to cram more in but to keep it all organized and, if caught in the rain, dry.

Thanks jolly.

JP, it won’t be long till you fly out to Melbourne. I’m not sure if you have been here before but thought I would send you a website to give you an idea of restaurants here.

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/guides/best-restaurants

Gertrude St is a very short tram ride from the tram stop near your hotel, or a walk up towards the museum and turn right into Gertrude St.

Andrew McConnell is one of the best chef / restaranteurs in Melbourne and has a few restaurants in Gertrude St.

We met the family for yum cha today. Always enjoy it.

We have a great Chinatown a short walk from your hotel if you are looking for an Asian meal.

I’ll ask my daughter her recommendations when I see her tomorrow. She used to do restaurant reviews for "the Good Food Guide". I find her a bit biased to the more expensive side but she has lots of foodie friends / reviewers and keeps more up to date than me.

She lives in Fitzroy, near Gertrude St. We are cat sitting for her at the moment ( while our poor cat is in a cattery)!

Jill

Up in the middle of our night, watching the Paralympics. The athleticism of the participants is inspiring. Canada is currently up 7-0 at the end of the second period against Italy in para-ice (sledge) hockey.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mudhen, mum cha is Chinese brunch. A wonderful invention which means that you can justify dim sum and champagne all in one meal ......

M, we have a warmish day today and in the UK it is mothers day. Would you believe that Waitrose was selling a gender neutral card?

Mleh, enjoy the paralymipcs.

In the homeland we are still coping with the aftermath of the attempted chemical assasination on our soil. It is an interesting situation we find ourselves in. Wifey and I had our pneumonia jabs on Friday and for the first time I suffered and she didn't. Still at least hopefully 20 years of one less thing to worry about.

Enjoy your warmish day J! Not warmish here unfortunately! We got our pneumonia jabs as well as shingles jabs last March. We both did OK with the exception of a very sore arm for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all celebrating today. Ours is in May.

There was an article on the CBC website about authorities suggesting that anyone who had visited that pub in the recent past should wash their clothing and clean any personal effects that may have been in contact. Scary! I think you mentioned at one point J that you and Mrs. J had been there in the distant past.

Hi M,

We go to Salisbury reasonably regularly - it is only 16 miles from us and is a pleasant jaunt, normally with a country pub on the cross country way back. It is an odd place being extremely attractive and quite similar to Winchester down the road and also around 15 miles or so and in many ways (both have cathederals) but also oddly depressing in parts as well.

The issue about the British government's reaction is quite opaque and I've been trying to work out why. I conclude a couple of possibilites. All or most governments in various ways have political assasianation within their way of doing business so it would be hypocritical to criticise that. It is often justified as a better alternative to the declaration of war to rid a country of an individual enemy. We use drones daily to do this amongst other things. So I don't think we can dissaprove of that per se. Perhaps it is that we don't approve of the Russians doing so in such a messy and dangerous to innocents way. Also some commentate that this might indicate that the Russians are alarmed at the success of the British secret services have at turning Russian spies and that this is a message to tell those spies that neither you or more importantly your family will ever be safe wherever you are. Perhaps the publicity and messiness is exactly what they sought. There isn't much we can to in response that will worry Russia so perhaps this has been a great success to them whatever happens next.

Sharings with Coolers of today's Sunday Times .....

b9883dcfee2251a9d17f8b952217e956.jpg

......and the Sunday dose of Clarkson making unbelievable sense on all things ....

Use your loafers, with the right shoes you’ll beat the jungle, illness and Corbyn’s reign

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-use-your-loafers-with-the-right-shoes-youll-beat-the-jungle-illness-and-corbyns-reign-vf7c52w9r?shareToken=6ccb3a1b2712bec649daf77194f41c9a

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the laughs this morning J! I really enjoy the "dose of Clarkson". Why can't we have leaders that make as much sense? We have a provincial election in June of this year. Current government is Liberal and has been since 2003. Opposition party is Progressive Conservative and the other main party is New Democratic Party. Recently the leader of the PCs stepped down under a cloud of "sexual harassment" allegations. This then resulted in a leadership campaign within the party to elect a new leader. Long story shorter..the party election was held yesterday and the results are under scrutiny due to alleged voting irregularities. It is a mess. I would personally vote for Clarkson! :)

I do enjoy Midsomer Murders though! :)