Is it worth it to upgrade from JR Suite to Grand Suite

I am impressed with your detective skills Jimbo. I am indeed on the 10/21 sailing of serenade. I had debated about moving to a handicapped room, but my mother resists taking/using her wheelchair on cruises. She does use her cane. If we do take the wheelchair she can walk in/out of room with her cane, therefore I am hesitant to take the room away from someone who could not cruise without the room.

In a new update a friend is joining us on the cruise and is booked in a solo inside across from our room. If mom can't handle the shower, she can borrow the friends room for her showers. While the friend enjoys a visit on the balcony.

I am taking a cruise with my mother on the Serenade of the Seas out of Boston to Bermuda(in October). My mother is not very mobile so this cruise will be a very lazy one for both of us. I got a great rate on a Jr. Suite but am tempted to upgrade to a Grand Suite. My mother has never cruised in a suite we usually do balconies. Her favorite part of a cruise is to sit on a balcony with her coffee and book. I would love to surprise with her with a better cabin but am not sure if it is worth it

I have done some reading but am confused about the suite perks. I know that the Jr. Suite is basically a bigger room, but on the Serenade other than the suite lounge and bigger balcony is there any benefit to upgrading. I am currently paying 1500. total (including insurance, taxes and tips), it would cost an additional 1300 to upgrade. It almost doubles my costs. I am torn does anyone have some advice.

As you can see in my signature I'm not a Royal Caribbean cruiser so I can't give you an advice.

I just wanted to say to you that it's nice of you to consider to upgrade to surprise your mother and make her happy!

I am impressed with your detective skills Jimbo. I am indeed on the 10/21 sailing of serenade. I had debated about moving to a handicapped room, but my mother resists taking/using her wheelchair on cruises. She does use her cane. If we do take the wheelchair she can walk in/out of room with her cane, therefore I am hesitant to take the room away from someone who could not cruise without the room.

In a new update a friend is joining us on the cruise and is booked in a solo inside across from our room. If mom can't handle the shower, she can borrow the friends room for her showers. While the friend enjoys a visit on the balcony.

I would still make the switch and still take the wheel chair, just be nice to have it there for getting around the ship easier and you can also use it for getting off the ship so she will be able to see some areas around the port.

I would make the switch, the cabin is much bigger and the balcony will have table and chairs on it. Just a much more pleasant experience.

It would really be a great surprise for her. She would never forget it.

Nothing worse then a fall on a cruise. Wheel chair will make for a much safer trip.

Jimbo