Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Greetings from Seville!

We will have spent one whole week here by tomorrow, when we leave. It has rained, at times heavily, every day and this has put a damper in my appreciation of this city. We have been able to visit only two of the several major sites; tha Alcázar and the Cathedral. I was mostly impressed by the sheer grandiosity of the Cathefral, and the gold richness of its altars. This gold was taken from “las Indias”, basically Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. I was tempted to claim it back!!

The city itself is basically provincial, even when it has been the host of major international Expos, the latest one in 1992. I was so disappointed that the rainstorms kept me from enjoying Parque de María Luisa, site of the 1929 Expo and site of magnificent pavilions dedicated to different countries.

I hate to say that you do not come to Seville for a gastronomical experience. The quality of the offerings in the several tabernas and restaurants we have visited this week have been very inconsistent. The custom is to share plates, apart from individual tapas... so you could end eating a mouthful of good before a mouthful of bad. But when in Rome.... I have to say that our hosts have treated us splendidly and we have really enjoyed our stay.

We leave for home tomorrow and it will be a long day, as we arrive at midnight. Any question on Seville?

Cams,

Lovely to read your update although with mixed feelings. A shame about the weather and the patchy food. It always seems that where there is significant tourist footfall is also more of a challenge to find good food. The more locals and regulars are relied on then the better the food.

Safe travels home to Roberto and you.

M, Myster and you may enjoy Mega Food on Netflix.

I agree that the weather has been bad in Spain with news reports of rock slides and flooding. A year’s rain in a fortnight apparently. It felt like someone had turned a garden hose full pelt on the car today as we drove towards Malaga. I think Seville and Cadiz has it worse.

Hope your journey home is peaceful Camillus.

Rp

Mysty, thanks! Soon now. Have spent some time this weekend laying out some clothes. Time for a test fit into the suitcases. Maybe I should have done a test fit into the clothes...we have been eating too well! I was thinking...if I'm trying to avoid turning 50, why the heck did I choose a trip that is 15 time zones ahead of my home zone? That only means that my birthday will come sooner!

Jeff, thanks for the cartoon chuckles. The flying pig was funny! We too have visited Salisbury Cathedral, and Old Sarum nearby. Crazy!

Camillus, safe travels home and sorry about the rain in Spain...

Jillyf, thanks so much for the Melbourne info. Will be sure to take a look as we get closer to our visit there. We visited once by cruise ship and just took a tram to the zoo so we haven't really visited the city proper. We are hoping to meet up with an exchange student who went to my high school many years ago (unfortunately, I went there many years ago too, so he was there with me). And if things work out we will also meet Ron and Ann for drinks. Chris has been looking at TripAdvisor for suggestions so we're glad to get your input too.

Had some time to cook this weekend, in our latest edition of "clean out the freezer before the trip."

Last night it was halibut, cooked in a soy-sauce based garlic and ginger glaze, and served with rice and vegetables.

i-KG3ph5s-L.jpg

This afternoon it was lomo saltado. We usually add bell pepper slices, which aren't in the recipe, but taste good to us. Such a messy dish, but tasty! It was hard to leave extras, but we managed to save one lunch portion.

i-VMwfbXm-L.jpg

Daylight Savings time today. I was still up at 5, as I don't sleep well when I am on call. The good part of that is that I went in early and got done at a reasonable hour, despite losing an hour. But I am already feeling like I want to go to sleep, and it's quite light out. Oh well - practice for the Australia trip!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, all.

JP, I didn't know it is your birthday......Happy Birthday:D mine is next Sunday.

Wishing you a wonderful trip Downunder:D It is so on my bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday JP.

Safe travels Cam

Sunday and this foolish daylight savings thing.

looks like Florida may have it permanently.

i will never get my hour back.

Spins, did they vote on it yet?

You've got miles to go before that hits JP! :) It hits in small ways for me so far but frustrating none the less! I was the memory person in this family and I am now sometimes letting the team down.

It is done in schools normally in the playground. Each person grabs an arm or a leg of the birthday person and gives them "the bumps". It doesn't really work with just two people but this gives a rough idea ....

96faea3d6d5ea76a9ce542a65608a43d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes Lois, it passed. Now Rick needs to sign.

The sunshine protection act or something.

BTW, how did MRI go?

I may have missed post.

Having some eye issues.

Hi Spins, oh, it did pass? I thought I kept up with the news...........as for the MRI? I could not do it this time either. I am just taking a breath and not going to do anything for the moment. I am not in alot of pain either........so maybe it is healing on its own....after 3 months..........

Is that an invitation? :) I love OZ! And what better reason to visit! We may however be forced to deliver said bumps virtually. Less painful for you JP! Just know that we will celebrate the birthday on the 26th here in the Cooler!

Spins.....Betsy DaVoss was in your area this past week visiting Parkland............now I just saw an interview on 60 minutes with her............this is The Secretary of Education????:eek:No wonder the students are critical of her........yikes.....she is a flake...........