Chester questions

We are docking in Liverpool hoping to see Chester in the morning and Liverpool in the afternoon. How long a walk is it from the dock to the Liverpool train station and is the Chester train station within walking distance to the sites we might want to see.

All in all is the train a reasonable idea or is it more advisable to rent a car or hire a cab ? Thanks ...

Hi Karen

The nearest train station from the ship will be James Street station which is about a 10 minute walk. The train takes about 30 minutes to Chester. There is then a free shuttle bus to the town centre ( however it is only about a 15 minute walk up City Road ) Chester City centre is nice and compact and everything is within an easy walk.

There is so much history and plenty of beautiful buildings to see

Enjoy your trip

Louise

We will be in Liverpool in July on the Crown Princess. We are seeing Chester in the morning and Liverpool in the afternoon. Is the Merseyrail Saveaway ticket, for travel to Chester and back to Liverpool, the best way to go? Or would just a round trip ticket be best?

We will be in Liverpool in July on the Crown Princess. We are seeing Chester in the morning and Liverpool in the afternoon. Is the Merseyrail Saveaway ticket, for travel to Chester and back to Liverpool, the best way to go? Or would just a round trip ticket be best?

The Savaway ticket is a bargain , but you can only use it after 930 am.

It mabe worth while buying a Saveaway ticket if you are traveling to Chester before 930 am..Reasons..

If you travel before 930, and want to go to Chester , then a single (one way) ticket to Chester will do.

Then on the return use your Saveaway.

Chester Station does not sell the Saveaway tickets, but on your return to Liverpool , you can use the Saveaway of the Mersey Ferries..!!

If you are returning on Merseyrail , you could get off at Hamilton Square, walk down to Woodside Ferry Terminal, and get the Ferry back over , you may well get a bit of a Ferry tour too...

There are more tea rooms in Chester than you can shake a stick at;:):)

We like to eat in the cathedral, good locally sourced food, its self service but a high standard of food.

There used to be a great tea room in Rufus court, you can drop down from the city walls into it, by the top end of Northgate Street, if its Sunny you can sit out behind Alexanders in Rufus court, they always serve good food

Just look for the ones with "tourist trap" in the title...

Seriously, clotted cream is a Devon product and not much seen 'oop north' I found the tea rooms in Rufus court, http://www.hattiesteashop.co.uk/ their cakes are fab, I can't remember ever seeing one that serves from china I am afraid? others may know better? but there are many tea shops in the rows and around the town, just have a look through the window and go in if you like the look.

I took some American friends around Chester and they themed the day by only eating in places that were 500 years or older, it was not difficult to find places that old :D

Thanks Anne.....I didn't realize it was a regional item.The one and only time we had clotted cream was in a lovely little tea room in Falmouth so I guess I was looking to renew that experience. I am sure we will find somewhere just as memorable in Chester.

Thanks Anne.....I didn't realize it was a regional item.The one and only time we had clotted cream was in a lovely little tea room in Falmouth so I guess I was looking to renew that experience. I am sure we will find somewhere just as memorable in Chester.

You want somewhere unique to visit in Chester...

I would suggest the Spud u Like on Bridge Street....

Why...The entrance to the remains of the Roman Baths is in the basement..

Not your normal Spud U Like..Maybe the most memorable though !!!

Archived