Final statement after you leave ship

Checked my onboard account 3-4 days after we boarded and it appeared fine with appropriate onboard credits. Returned home without getting final statement. Just got my Visa bill and final charge much more than anticipated. Is there a way to get final statement after returning home? Thanks

Call or email Guest relations.

Several years ago, after returning home, I had a chance to fully analyze our statement and found about $50.00 in overcharges.

I emailed Guest relations, they had an accounts supervisor contact us with regard to the charges. The charges were credited back to our credit card.

You should have a gotten a final statement no later than 7 AM on the final morning.

I never leave the ship without getting that final statement. I even ask for one the day before the end of the cruise.

And on our last 2 cruises -- yes I have checked my AMEX bill it was different than the final statement we got on the ship.

And on our last 2 cruises -- yes I have checked my AMEX bill it was different than the final statement we got on the ship.

This happened to me also, 3 times in fact. I called Seattle each time after I got home and was told that the extra charges were for mini-bar purchases. I had never even opened the mini-bar let alone taken something from it. The extra charges were refunded each time...but it was a hassle I could have done without.

This happened to me also, 3 times in fact. I called Seattle each time after I got home and was told that the extra charges were for mini-bar purchases. I had never even opened the mini-bar let alone taken something from it. The extra charges were refunded each time...but it was a hassle I could have done without.

We've had this experience also, just once. Erroneous mini bar charges added after we disembarked. Really pays to watch your final bill and final cc charges carefully!

I would notify my credit card company that there's an unauthorised charge and have it deducted. I'd also send a copy of my final statement if they request it.

Questions would be asked eventually by cc companies if there were too many of these "mistakes".

I would notify my credit card company that there's an unauthorised charge and have it deducted. I'd also send a copy of my final statement if they request it.

Questions would be asked eventually by cc companies if there were too many of these "mistakes".

I would not advise doing so unless HAL is not able to resolve to your satisfaction. Your CC company will also ask if you've made an effort to resolve with HAL. In each instance that I have been overcharged by HAL, HAL has taken care of it in a very prompt and professional manner.

The mini-bar seems to be an issue on many cruises. We have had the same issue and its the only one I can recall. Of course it was after we get home.

Makes you wonder if this is just part of the way they make a few extra bucks on us as many folks don't bother to check or complain.

DaveOKC

The mini-bar seems to be an issue on many cruises. We have had the same issue and its the only one I can recall. Of course it was after we get home.

Makes you wonder if this is just part of the way they make a few extra bucks on us as many folks don't bother to check or complain.

DaveOKC

Yes, we also have experienced additional charges post-cruise ... 3 or 4 sailings, plus a similar error while on board on one sailing. Always the mini-bar. Funny thing is we either ask our steward to remove those items or we group all mini-bar items together and display them prominently for easy inventory.

The charges always have been reversed, but only after the HAL persons suggested that perhaps I simply did not remember drinking the water or whatever. Pretty insulting and petty, to say nothing of crappy customer service.

Maybe the problem on HAL is that they insist on including way too many items in their no-host mini-bar, thus making inventory tedious ... well, and perhaps they also figure that it's only a few bucks and no one will question/sweat the small stuff. All those unchallenged errors add a nice amount to HAL's bottom line.

Edited by pms4104

We were just on the NA and I checked my credit card bill and was charged more than my final statement.

On embarkation day we found two open bottles in the mini bar that had been refilled with water. We gave them to our cabin steward and he said that we would not be charged. Apparently he was wrong. I'm waiting to see if HAL corrects the reported problem.

I'm thinking that for future cruises we will ask to have the mini bar items removed from the cabin.

We were just on the NA and I checked my credit card bill and was charged more than my final statement.

On embarkation day we found two open bottles in the mini bar that had been refilled with water. We gave them to our cabin steward and he said that we would not be charged. Apparently he was wrong. I'm waiting to see if HAL corrects the reported problem.

I'm thinking that for future cruises we will ask to have the mini bar items removed from the cabin.

Good idea, but doing this will not stop you from being charged for things you did not use.

DaveOKC

Good idea, but doing this will not stop you from being charged for things you did not use.

DaveOKC

It will if you call Ship Services and ask to have it cleaned out before you board. We have done this on every cruise and never had an issue with erroneous min-bar charges.

Now, getting charged twice for a Photo Package? Or Bar charges we didn't make, yeah we have had those!

We always ask the cabin steward to remove all items from the mini bar, mainly because we bring our own sodas on board. Usually, the steward stows them in the round stool that is in front of the dressing mirror.

We have asked on our last two cruises for the mini bar to be emptied and for those two cruises we have not had any erroneous charges. But, it's never the room steward who empties it, it's a member of the beverage department, who comes and takes it away.

Stop at the front desk the night before disembarkation. Get a copy of your statement. You will then have a chance to dissect it more completely before departing the ship.

I do it the morning before - that way I can compare the charges with my receipts and if there is an error I still have lots of time to get it sorted out.

But the "you drank something out of the mini-bar" won't show up then - it shows up after I get home and check my HAL charge online.

I have to admit I've wondered the same.

Last time I did a B2B, I ran into the employee (a wine steward from the MDR) whose assignment was to check all the mini-bars. This poor woman was so frazzled by how many mini-bars she had to check in a short time period that she was running like a chicken without a head. I saw how mistakes could be made.

Edited by Aruba

Overcharges seem to be a common problem. Many people don't even bother to check their statement.

On disembarkation day, they may or may not grab the bill as they head out the door.

I must admit, anytime we've had a discrepancy, the front desk is more than willing to remove the charges. No questions asked.

Does HAL have a policy for passengers who do not have a credit card - or do not wish to trust the company with what is, essentially, a blank cheque? I have a friend who, on principle, will not have a credit card. This obviously makes his travels difficult, but not impossible. Cunard requires a $300 cash (no travellers cheques) deposit for embarking passengers who do not have a credit card. They must top it up if their spending reaches the amount of the deposit. I'm curious if HAL has a similar policy?

Does HAL have a policy for passengers who do not have a credit card - or do not wish to trust the company with what is, essentially, a blank cheque? I have a friend who, on principle, will not have a credit card. This obviously makes his travels difficult, but not impossible. Cunard requires a $300 cash (no travellers cheques) deposit for embarking passengers who do not have a credit card. They must top it up if their spending reaches the amount of the deposit. I'm curious if HAL has a similar policy?

I often wonder what people who refuse to have a credit card would do in an emergency when they are traveling if they had to quickly fly home, had hospital/medical expenses to pay, etc. A credit card is not a blank check. If any charges were wrongfully put on anyone's card they can always be disputed to the cc company and reversed. I think it's foolish to travel without a credit card even if it's never used.

I often wonder what people who refuse to have a credit card would do in an emergency when they are traveling if they had to quickly fly home, had hospital/medical expenses to pay, etc. A credit card is not a blank check. If any charges were wrongfully put on anyone's card they can always be disputed to the cc company and reversed. I think it's foolish to travel without a credit card even if it's never used.

I quite agree. But there are some people who manage quite well without one. The friend to whom I referred carries a fair amount of traveller's cheques and he has excellent travel insurance which will pay up-front in emergencies. We have the same travel agent (he has been dealing with him for over 40 years) and can count on him for emergency travel assistance. He has made arrangements with his bank to obtain emergency funds. I understand he is not the only eccentric who does this. But I certainly wouldn't take those risks or go to that much trouble.

I have never had any cruise line add unauthorised charges to my credit card, but if it ever happens I think I would become a cash customer in the future. I have had to dispute charges from hotels occasionally, but they have always corrected their errors without delay.

I totally agree with you! My sister used to be one of those "I'll never have a Credit Card - too much temptation" people. Then after an emergency flight (paid with her Debit Card) because DM was in the hospital - she discovered without a Credit Card she could not quickly rent a car without a LOT of hassles. Rental car agencies hate Debit Cards. IMO, people living in our current society who refuse to get a Credit Card are not facing reality. Yes, over the last 35 years or so we have had a couple of fraud charges ... always reversed immediately by the card holder/bank.

Edited by Linda&Vern