Alaska - Satendam or Oosterdam...HELP

BTwurddle

My bf and I will be experiencing Alaska for the first time later this year. He is new to HAL although I fell in love with the dam ships in 2008 on Westerdam. We are currently booked on Oosterdam, round trip out of Vancouver featuring Galcier Bay. Ive sailed on both Vista and Signature class ships and have always wanted to try one of the smaller ships as Ive heard they carry far fewer passengers and are much more romantic and offer a richer experience. Ive discovered that for the same price there is a southbound sailing on Statendam (which Im away is an S class and somewhat older than the often preferred R class) from Seward to Vancouver, also featuring Glacier Bay. Cruise and Air are essentially the same for both with the exception of our hotel in Vancouver vs Anchorage. Any advice? Can any more experienced mariners suggest one over the other? Just a note I am in my early 30s and he is in his early 40s, both casual and laid back, "quality over quantity" types that enjoy quietly watching the world go by and enjoying the adventure. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want to sit outside and watch the scenery go by, the Statendam Lower Promenade Deck is full of loungers which will be great for that. Oosterdam Promenade Deck has much fewer loungers, and for some reason feels higher (not sure if it is, though).

Do consider the difference in airfare, since the Statendam cruise begins/ends in different cities, while the Oosterdam is round-trip.

I was on the Oosterdam for four weeks, leaving her about a month ago. She was a very nice ship, with a fabulous staff/crew. I can't say enough good things about how well I was treated.

Whichever you choose, have a great time in The Great Land.

Ruth, I am honored that I received a reply from you! Ive been enjoying your posts on these boards for quite a while now and I always appreciate your vast experiences! We will be flying from Houston, for some reason air from Houston to Vancouver is always rather higher than would be expected (my parents make the trip twice a summer most years) therefore flying into Anchorage and back from Vancouver is essentially the same, within $30 or so.

Ive always wanted to experience one of the smaller ships with fewer passengers and shorter walks like my earlier trips. (I began cruising on Rhapsody and Splendor Of the Seas with RCCL) My main concern is that Statendam may be showing her age or appear a bit old to my partner who until now has always cruised with Carnival on various ships.

Thank you for the complement. :)

Sorry to say that it's been too many years since I sailed on the Statendam, so I can't speak to her current condition. I will say that if you want to sail on an S-class ship, there aren't a great many years left. Statendam and Ryndam are already scheduled to leave the fleet.

Alaska is special, but is it special enough that the ship doesn't matter? That, I can't say. Hopefully, others who have more recent experience on the Statendam will post, too.

While I haven't been on either ship my vote is squarely for the Statendam. I have sailed another R-class, the Veendam and I've sailed Cunard's town for the Oosterdam so I don't really feel unqualified. The Statendam and Ryndam are both leaving the HAL fleet in 2015 so there are limited opportunities to sail these ships and I find their size and elegance quite special.

You mentioned a concern about the Statendam's condition. Not yet (for another 60 days) been on her I can't speak first hand. My first choice in cruise lines is Crystal and one of my most respected correspondents on the Crystal forum was on the Statendam recently and tells me the ship is in excellent condition. That's good enough for me.

Roy

I have cruised on both and though I love the Oosterdam, I can't say enough about the Statendam. We were on her for 43 days last Nov/Dec and she was outsanding. I do like the smaller ships but I think which ever you pick you can't go wrong. Just close you eyes and pick.:D

Besides checking airfares, also check the length of time that you are in port for both ships.

We have sailed on both ships as well.

Also check prices for pre-cruise hotel - Anchorage may be higher than Vancouver. And cost of transportation from Anchorage to Seward - bus or train - is a factor. We always weigh all these costs, in addition to the cruise fare, when making our decision.

Hi there. We have travelled on both ships, most recently the Statendam about two years ago. Both are wonderful ships and from what I have read here on Cruise Critic in good shape. I do like the smaller ships. We have a room on the Promenade deck close to the door outside for easy access for lounging and sightseeing. We will be sailing on the Statendam 14 day Alaska next summer. Since this is your first time in Alaska, you might consider the spending some time in Anchorage before the trip. There is so much to see a short car ride from Anchorage - Denali to the North and the Kenai Peninsula to the south. Don't know if you have the extra time to spend a few days exploring more but it is worth considering. Whichever you choose, have a wonderful trip.

Can't comment on the Stadendam, but have just come off two weeks on the Ryndam and whilst she is old she is very well maintained and the crew are lovely and attentive, and there is plenty of places just to sit and watch which is ideal for Alaska

HAL's smaller ships - about 1,200 passengers - rather than the 1,800-2,000 on Vista class are far more manageable, and enjoy all the amenities. If total costs are anywhere near the same, definitely go with an R or S class - they will not be around too much longer, being replaced by ever larger ships.