Value of drink package if you are in a suite

Help needed from people who have experience with this. We will be in a suite but do not have any other status. I have read that we have access to a lounge as suite guests that does have an evening cocktail reception. Is there alcohol available any other time of the day? Also my husband and I are moderate to heavy vacation drinkers, so wondering, with the lounge if we need a package or would be a better value to use the suite lounge and then just pay for drinks the rest of the time? Has anyone else done that?

Help needed from people who have experience with this. We will be in a suite but do not have any other status. I have read that we have access to a lounge as suite guests that does have an evening cocktail reception. Is there alcohol available any other time of the day? Also my husband and I are moderate to heavy vacation drinkers, so wondering, with the lounge if we need a package or would be a better value to use the suite lounge and then just pay for drinks the rest of the time? Has anyone else done that?

No, the "happy hour" is 3 1/2 hours in the evening. If you want a drink any other time, you will pay for it.

If I were you - and I am clearly not - I would just pay for the rest of my drinks by-the-drink and not buy a package.

In my opinion it is not a good idea to pay for the drink package when in a suite. You would probably be wasting a lot of money.

You will have complimentary drinks for at least 3 hours each evening, and if you are off the ship during the day at all, you would really have to be drinking a lot at night to be anywhere near breaking even on a drink package.

I would always do pay as you go when in a suite.

We will be in a GS and will have a ultimate package for three reasons:

1 we want the freedom to choose what when to drink and not only im CL. Trying to make up for not having a package in 3.5 hours is a bad idea.

2 It is valid on Labadee

3 we will not enter the cl if it is full of high tier c&a members who think they have more right to be there than us suite guests.

With the new prices it will only take a few oj. Couple of beers, some wine for lunch and dinner next to a couple of drinks and your package pays off even before cl opens.

To be fair tough. We only go for 5 nights and only to labadee and falmouth. So we will have access to our packages most of the time. DWtobe only wants the RR so she might pick up a drink in the cl or pay for the few she wants

We had the Ultimate Package last year. This year we've decided to do the Royal Replenish package and use the CL for our pre-dinner drinks, and then just pay for whatever else we want. We found that we used the Ultimate quite often for specialty coffees and teas, bottled water, etc., so the RR is a good fit for us.

You also have the option of seeing how it goes the first day, and then signing up for the package on day 2. I understand your concern about the lounge being crowded. Not sure what time you'll be dining, but after 6pm, it tends to clear out quite a bit.

We had the Premium package while staying in an Owner's Suite. While the CL is open for 3.5 hours in the evening, you'll be at dinner for probably an hour and a half of that. We were glad we had the package, mainly because we had lots of sea days. It was a 9 night cruise with just 3 ports (plus Labadee)...and one port was cancelled due to weather.

We had the Ultimate Package last year. This year we've decided to do the Royal Replenish package and use the CL for our pre-dinner drinks, and then just pay for whatever else we want. We found that we used the Ultimate quite often for specialty coffees and teas, bottled water, etc., so the RR is a good fit for us.

You also have the option of seeing how it goes the first day, and then signing up for the package on day 2. I understand your concern about the lounge being crowded. Not sure what time you'll be dining, but after 6pm, it tends to clear out quite a bit.

My DW has had the RR the past couple of cruises. Even when she wanted an alcoholic drink he would just order one of her virgin RR drinks and then order a shot on the side. A lot cheaper than the $12 to $14 drinks they are now selling.

Unless you only want to drink during the "cocktail" hour"...and don't want to be "out and about" on the ship when you're getting a buzz on...then you don't need any package...you will be happy to drink in the lounge.

If you think you'll be having an afternoon drink...a mimosa for breakfast...maybe a beer at the pool....then a package might make sense.

You need to think about HOW you get your buzz...

I don't want to wait until 5pm to start my drinking...hell, I'm on VACATION!

Edited by cb at sea

the lounge only serves alcohol during the even around the two dinner seating.. typically 430-8 pom depending on ship. furthermore the choices are limited( no frozen drinks, for instance, and nothing terribly fancy)

if you are heavy drinkers all day long, get the package.

On the Oasis, wine and beer were available in the suite lounge for free from 11a to 11p. Mixed drinks were available only in the evening. I'm glad we didn't get the drink package. I got plenty of free drinks in the lounge, and I paid for a few here and there in other venues. Two of us only spent about $100 in drinks for the whole week.

we will not enter the cl if it is full of high tier c&a members who think they have more right to be there than us suite guests.

Sorry, but I am somewhat tired of this nonsense. As a D+, I could care less whether you are in the lounge because you are Pinnacle, Diamond Plus or in a suite. If you are there, you deserve to be there.

I'm more concerned that you are a nice person who enjoys good conversation and who isn't judging other people simply because of their status or cabin!

We will be in a GS and will have a ultimate package:we will not enter the cl if it is full of high tier c&a members who think they have more right to be there than us suite guests.

From what I have read and personally experienced on the Allure there was NO ONE that thought they had more rights than others. There were no issues and we met so many people who were downright nice. We met one gentleman who traveled by himself and was at one of the highest levels and we learned that only because we asked him about what kind of room did he get as a solo.

lgocfy, I would get a package after what you stated. Traveling in a GS we don't because we don't drink alcohol until we start getting ready for dinner and then we go to the CL. The CL's choices are very limited and are nowhere near top shelf. Also, we bring our own case of water because we prefer Poland Spring and Royal does not carry it. Go for it and as others said you will find that the drinks will add up very quickly at the new prices plus the 18% gratuity.

Edited by sauvichick

'moderate to heavy vacation drinkers' I think you answered your own question with your own statement.

Yes, the CL will be available for 3.5 hrs every evening. However, part of that time is during dinner times.

There are different packages available. You really need to think about what type of drinks you enjoy and how many drinks per day you would consume. Which ship, excursions and ports vs sea days should also play a factor in your decisions.

Our southern caribbean cruise, very port intensive, almost every excursion (thru RCI and private) offered rum punch, some had beer & wine available too. We bought the RR package, Between the CL , the RR and the rum punch we didn't see the need to buy an alcoholic package....

We are doing 14 night Med cruise this summer in GS and I will be having premium package. We already received select package included with cruise price so only $15 a day to upgrade. I love frozen cocktails and the occasional peach bellini at breakfast and I feel I will have got good value for money.

My other consideration is that we will probably not go to CL much as 2 older teens are in interior cabin across from our suite and I would rather go for pre- dinner drinks with all my family. I have assumed they will not be admitted to CL.

Michelle x

We were just in a GS on Explorer and used the CL every night for our pre dinner drinks. We didn't have any other package, but if we wanted drinks during the day we just paid on the sea pass. Worked well for us on that cruise, however, we're on Vision in September with a drinks package, diamond plus and in a suite! Too much alcohol overload methinks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello fellow Ohioan.

Were from the snow belt near Youngstown.

We are purchasing the drink package this year.

This will be our 6th time in a suite and we are purchasing it for a number of reasons.

1. We usually only visit the suite lounge (previous was Conciernage but was changed on Oasis to Diamond, and Suite lountge) for less than an hour before early dinner. We may get 1-2 drinks there.

2. We like to try new drinks, and last year my DH had the package and he got to try a lot of new stuff and if he did not like it after a sip, he just ordered something else.

3. Oh, dont get me wrong he like his favorite wine and mixers and maybe drank a total of 7-9 drinks all day, so by trying others he did not feel like he was wasting money---just booze.

4. I want to try new stuff so that is why I am trying it this year. Last year I maybe had 4 -5 drinks on board.

It is what it is for us, and plus it is paid for.

I will keep a log to see if I will pay in the future or just buy one at a time.

Enjoy

Edited by Lionesss

Sorry, but I am somewhat tired of this nonsense. As a D+, I could care less whether you are in the lounge because you are Pinnacle, Diamond Plus or in a suite. If you are there, you deserve to be there.

I'm more concerned that you are a nice person who enjoys good conversation and who isn't judging other people simply because of their status or cabin!

Thank you, well said and I feel exactly the same as you.

Thank you, well said and I feel exactly the same as you.

We were in a suite and are D+ on our last FOS cruise. I purchased the ultimate drink package and absolutely loved it and will most likely do it again. With the UP you always were given top shelf in the bars, I stipulate " bars" because top shelf is not available in the CL. Because of having the UP, coke, water, and coffee package was part of the deal. The UP was taken at all dining venues and was graciously honored. So if you consider all items and not only the alcohol it can be a good deal. I loved trying new drinks, and getting top shelf. I tipped a dollar a bar drink so I could monitor if it was worth it. I considered the pool drinks, the good wine at dinner, the water, the speciality coffees and then club drinks at night it is a good value. I am by no means a heavy drinker but do appreciate the freedom and ease to do what I want all cruise no questions asked and enjoy quality products. I did't have any problems getting waited on, just the opposite it was respected I had the UP package and felt I got better service because of it.

but it's not valid at Falmouth, correct? I know that port was basically created for RCI, but is not private to where the drink packages are valid, right?

Drink packages are not good off the ship at Falmouth.