Do you need a Visa for a Meditteranean cruise?

Hi everyone......I need some advice again and this is the place to get it. My daughter and I are doing our first Med. cruise and it is the first time in Europe for us too. It never occurred to me that we might need a visa until I read the post from those poor folks that missed their South American cruise. We have only done caribbean cruises, alaska and Hawaii and have traveled to Central America on land tours but have never needed anything but our passports. Our cruise is Norwegian Epic from Barcelona and it stops in Italy and France. I wouldn't want to have an awful surprise like that. I guess my dream of a South American cruise next will be just that......but this trip is paid for. We go in May, so maybe have time to do what is needed. Thanks so much Patti

While I suspect you will get many correct responses from posters here, the best resource is often the cruise line website.

NCL, like Holland, has a page dedicated to required travel documents. That page has a link to Visa Central, which specifies which NCL cruises have visa requirements for various nationalities. As you can read, the only upcoming NCL cruises that have visa requirements for US citizens to obtain on their own stop in China, *Russia (if taking excursions independently) and Australia.

We can all tell you that you don't need any visas on this cruise, but don't you feel better finding the documentation for yourself?

*Let's not debate Russia. If you are taking a private excursion arranged by an agency, the agency will take care of your tourist visa.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. You can always count on the experience of Cruise Critic to have the answers and I really appreciate it. Yes, we are born in Massachusetts, and lived here forever, and have passports too, so it's all good I guess. Thanks again so much....I am getting excited about this cruise......still have shore trips to book for Italy ports and am hoping someone from my roll call can help.....I keep checking every day.............Happy sails......Patti

Visa Central is strange. They want your state of residence, even if you select that your passport is not from the US. :D

At least if you fly into Turkey, every time I have been there, you could get a visa at the airport.

Thanks to all of you for the replies. You can always count on the experience of Cruise Critic to have the answers and I really appreciate it. Yes, we are born in Massachusetts, and lived here forever, and have passports too, so it's all good I guess. Thanks again so much....I am getting excited about this cruise......still have shore trips to book for Italy ports and am hoping someone from my roll call can help.....I keep checking every day.............Happy sails......Patti

Patti, you will have a great time.

Also visit the Italy ports of call boards if you need advice on things to do in the Italy ports.

Keith

At least if you fly into Turkey, every time I have been there, you could get a visa at the airport.

Relations between the U.S. and Turkey have become complicated and fluid. Never assume that what was true yesterday about a Turkish visa is true today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/travel/american-travel-to-turkey.html

https://tr.usembassy.gov/message-u-s-citizens-turkish-visa-guidance-update-u-s-citizens-november-20-2017/

Absolutely for a USA citizen who starts or ends their cruise there it is required. Not if transiting Turkey.

That was not one of the countries mentioned by the OP.

Keith

Yes, I understand. But the response could be misinterpreted by someone to go beyond the countries mentioned by the OP.

Then that would be on them, not on us. We answered the OPs question with the correct answer.

If you are an US citizen then no visas are required for the Med.

Vs

If you are an US citizen then no visas are required for Spain, France, Italy.

I think you probably intended "Med" to mean Spain, France, & Italy.

If you are an US citizen then no visas are required for the Med.

Vs

If you are an US citizen then no visas are required for Spain, France, Italy.

I think you probably intended "Med" to mean Spain, France, & Italy.

No I didn't. I meant what I said. Seeing as NCL don't cruise to Turkey, give me one NCL Med port that requires a Visa from a US Citizen with a US Passport?

You cannot expect every answer to questions to come with a book of what ifs. We answer what was asked.

No I didn't. I meant what I said. Seeing as NCL don't cruise to Turkey, give me one NCL Med port that requires a Visa from a US Citizen with a US Passport?

You cannot expect every answer to questions to come with a book of what ifs. We answer what was asked.

OK. I agree it was a fantastically accurate answer.

Hi everyone......I need some advice again and this is the place to get it. My daughter and I are doing our first Med. cruise and it is the first time in Europe for us too. It never occurred to me that we might need a visa until I read the post from those poor folks that missed their South American cruise. We have only done caribbean cruises, alaska and Hawaii and have traveled to Central America on land tours but have never needed anything but our passports. Our cruise is Norwegian Epic from Barcelona and it stops in Italy and France. I wouldn't want to have an awful surprise like that. I guess my dream of a South American cruise next will be just that......but this trip is paid for. We go in May, so maybe have time to do what is needed. Thanks so much Patti

We've done that cruise on the Epic and as US citizens with passports did not need a visa.

One hint---for the Epic definitely book your onboard shows in advance. Cirque and Blue Man group were the entertainment you needed to book in advance when we sailed on her (2012).

Relations between the U.S. and Turkey have become complicated and fluid. Never assume that what was true yesterday about a Turkish visa is true today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/travel/american-travel-to-turkey.html

https://tr.usembassy.gov/message-u-s-citizens-turkish-visa-guidance-update-u-s-citizens-november-20-2017/

Agreed. That is why I worded it the way I did. :)