Van rental help 8 adults. Ideas?

racetech

Need some ideas on getting 8 adults to port. Looking at an 8 hour drive from Ohio to NYC. We really dont want to fly. So im just wondering if anyone else has been through this or has some ideas. It looks like our best bet is to rent a passenger van like a Ford Transit 15 passenger, but this is going to be very expensive. Am I missing something, is there another vehicle or type of rental I can do thats cheaper? Thanks for any input!

I feel you should be researching in your local area for a few things: to see if they will allow a one-way rental in that kind of vehicle, and also if you need a special license to drive one (you do in my area). As well, I can't see 8 adults plus their luggage and carry-ons being comfortable in said van for that long of a drive.

What about a Greyhound bus or Amtrak train? I don't know if your area is serviced by these two companies; you'd have to research it online which is easily done.

Need some ideas on getting 8 adults to port. Looking at an 8 hour drive from Ohio to NYC. We really dont want to fly. So im just wondering if anyone else has been through this or has some ideas. It looks like our best bet is to rent a passenger van like a Ford Transit 15 passenger, but this is going to be very expensive. Am I missing something, is there another vehicle or type of rental I can do thats cheaper? Thanks for any input!

Hi

How about taking two smaller vehicles? Rooms enough for luggage is always a major consideration.

Absolutely rent two full size sedans instead.

Will use less fuel combined than one 15 passenger van.

The larger the vehicle, the higher the surcharge for one way rentals--especially out of state.

Total expenses will be far more manageable. And you will have a rescue/chase car in case of emergency.

Not to mention not having six out of eight people in the middle or rear bench seat. Not where anyone wants to sit for eight hours.

After some research I think we are leaning towards taking Amtrak. We live right between 2 stations about 50 mins away for both. And can be in NYC in 11 hours on the train. Looks like it will take us right to Penn Station in manhattan and we will just rent a airbnb for a couple nights and explore, then cruise and take amtrak back home.

PLEASE come back and tell us about

11 hours on a train

versus 2 hours on a plane

Inquiring Minds want to know ....

I've a relative that did it once and insists they'll never do it again!!!!!

since they won't fly ''' they drive .....