If no Concierge Lounge, Then What About?

Ronn452

Several of the older, smaller ships do not have a Concierge Lounge for the Suite guests and Diamond level cruisers. Until they do or as an alternative, what if RCCL issued a Concierge Lounge recognition" key that was good for drinks in the Schooner Bar during the same hours as the ships that do have a lounge. Since there would be no way to include hor d'ourves, perhaps a small tray sent to the cabin two or three time during the cruise. This would be a nice gesture and the cost would be less than having to remodel the Card Room and would do away with having to staff the lounge. Or perhaps, have a Concierge available in the Schooner Bar during the same hours.

Just a thought. Any comments?

Captain Ronn

Hate to say this, and it's pure speculation on my part, but I think you will see RCI start doing away with CL privileges before you start seeing them added to ships that do not currently have them - particularly for D / D+.

With the economy, the swelling ranks of D / D+ members, and RCI's other cost cutting moves, I have to believe they are looking to reduce perks, not add them.

Your ideas are good ones though.

They do send hor d'ourves to your cabin if you are diamond.

Even inside cabins? Most diamond go for suites or balcony cabins, I suppose, but we will remain inside.

Do we have to ask?

This will be our first diamond cruise. We don't drink and we don't want a balcony, so there won't be many perks to go with that new status.

Even inside cabins? Most diamond go for suites or balcony cabins, I suppose, but we will remain inside.

Do we have to ask?

This will be our first diamond cruise. We don't drink and we don't want a balcony, so there won't be many perks to go with that new status.

Yes, doesn't matter what type cabin you're in if you are a Diamond or D+;) Congrats on your new Diamond status.

When we've cruised on non-concierge class ships, we've only received the complimentary hors-d’oeuvres a couple of nights. One was the first formal night, but the other night seems to have been random. Can't remember if we got in-cabin munchies on the Liberty or Radiance when there was a lounge. Oh, to have a memory again....

I'm not sure where you come up with that statistic about most diamonds going for suites or balcony cabins.:confused: The percentage of diamond cruisers who book inside cabins is likely to be very much the same as those who have not reached that level. Overall more people probably book balcony cabins or suites than inside rooms because ships nowadays have more such rooms than they have insides. Also veteran cruisers may be more likely to willingly pay extra for some of the advantages of having a balcony or a suite. I know that I, if the choice came down to cruising in an inside stateroom or not sailing, I would opt for the inside room. However, if the choice was simply between an inside or outside room, I'd go for the outside room almost every time.:)

Regardless of your accommodations, however, your C&A status rather than your stateroom category will determine what, if any, special perks you receive

Hate to say this, and it's pure speculation on my part, but I think you will see RCI start doing away with CL privileges before you start seeing them added to ships that do not currently have them - particularly for D / D+.

With the economy, the swelling ranks of D / D+ members, and RCI's other cost cutting moves, I have to believe they are looking to reduce perks, not add them.

I hate to say this but I agree with you.

At a minimum I THINK they will be upping the number of cruises required for each level especially Diamond and Diamond plus. I know if you asked them they say that they are not thinking about it but I wonder...

I think the only problem with your suggestion would be the other guests in the Schooner (or whichever) lounge. They would be wondering 'where are my free drinks???'. Also if there were a large number of Ds then the Schooner would get pretty crowded.

Personally I like to drink at the bars and interact with the people coming and going so I rarely get the free drink in the CL.

There are no better bars than all the Boleros in my opinion.

I hate to say this but I agree with you.

At a minimum I THINK they will be upping the number of cruises required for each level especially Diamond and Diamond plus. I know if you asked them they say that they are not thinking about it but I wonder...

That would be an easy way for them to go, have heard this mentioned recently or waiting til you reach diamond plus before the concierge lounge is yours:rolleyes:

When we've cruised on non-concierge class ships, we've only received the complimentary hors-d’oeuvres a couple of nights. One was the first formal night, but the other night seems to have been random. Can't remember if we got in-cabin munchies on the Liberty or Radiance when there was a lounge. Oh, to have a memory again....

yep, get the in cabin munchies on every ship.

as far as the cost of upgrading the card room, I don't htink there was much done to the Card room on the Splendour & it is perfect!!!! I am sooooooooooo hoping that they dd add the CLs to the remaining Vision class ships as we are on the Rhapsody for 26 days in 2010!!!!

Your ideas are good ones though.

We agree that some major changes to the program are right around the corner. Some rumors, we've heard, concern changing the point basis from cruises to sea days. Currently three-day cruise passengers get the identical credit as the eleven-day passengers. Presently a person can reach diamond status with a total of 15 sea days (5 three-day cruise in a junior suite).

Also rumored is that diamond will require 25 and diamond plus will go to 50. Another rumor is that the ships would convert the overflow lounges, needed on most sailings, to diamond lounge similar to the Freedom class. Entrance to the concierge lounges would probably be limited to suite guests and D+ passengers.

Although these are just rumors some of them are being floated by the loyality ambassadors and concierges.

We agree that some major changes to the program are right around the corner. Some rumors, we've heard, concern changing the point basis from cruises to sea days. Currently three-day cruise passengers get the identical credit as the eleven-day passengers. Presently a person can reach diamond status with a total of 15 sea days (5 three-day cruise in a junior suite).

Also rumored is that diamond will require 25 and diamond plus will go to 50. Another rumor is that the ships would convert the overflow lounges, needed on most sailings, to diamond lounge similar to the Freedom class. Entrance to the concierge lounges would probably be limited to suite guests and D+ passengers.

Although these are just rumors some of them are being floated by the loyality ambassadors and concierges.

Great post. Thank you for taking the time to share. Your rumors match my rumors. :) Others on this board have posted similar things in the past and have been unfairly mocked and ridiculed. Bottom line, the savvy cruiser knows changes are coming - it just remains to be see what those changes will actually be.

Personally, I welcome the changes. I just selfishly hope that D / D+ doesn't lose CL access entirely.

We have been hearing and repeating:rolleyes: these rumors for at least a year now and nothing solid has yet been announced. I don't doubt that it is possible that there will at some point be changes to the program but I don't think it will be done precipitously. So even if an announcement of changes is "right around the corner" I think implementation of any such changes would still be a ways off. I agree with GMoney that it is unlikely that RCI will be expanding privileges, but I am not sure that they will be withdrawing them anytime soon unless they can be sure that such actions don't antagonize a large percentage of their C&A members. Unless someone can demonstrate to them that the savings will be worth the ill will that cuts would cost them, it is probably easier for them to live with the status quo.

I am also not convinced that the loyalty ambassadors and concierges are "floating" these rumors but rather voicing their personal opinions and speculating on future actions with little or no facts to back them up. :rolleyes: It isn't much different from what we see on these boards.;)

Hi Pete,

I've heard similar rumblings about the perks too. Say hello to Lola for me. :)

yeah we heard those rumore over a year ago--used it as an excuse o hurry up & become D+ before things were changed.

I think Bill00negc--has some very valid points. RCCL has already made some of their very loyal cruisers mad about the not being able to combine coupons/benefits, etc. I can't even imagine the backlash.

Been a diamond member for several years, cruise twice a year, and never had appetizers delivered to our room. Usually have an inside cabin.

we have gotten fruit/cheese plate, cookie plate, petit fours, chocolate covered strawberries. the only time we have gotten appetizers was in a suite the day of the P/D/D+ welcome back party--figured they were leftovers!!!!

We are cruising on the Mariner in January. It's our first time on the RC, we usually sail with Celebrity. What are the perks of the concierge lounge? We also booked a junior suite. What are the suite benefits besides the larger size?

We are cruising on the Mariner in January. It's our first time on the RC, we usually sail with Celebrity. What are the perks of the concierge lounge? We also booked a junior suite. What are the suite benefits besides the larger size?

as far as suite benefits, JS does not qualify for any, except 2 cruise credits. I am not sure how the level on Celebrity works on RCCL. I "think" I have read that if you are Captain's level, or whatever it is called, on Celebrity, it is recognized on RCCL as Diamond I think. I am sure that someone who knows exactly will let us know if I am wrong. JS alone would not allow you access to the CL, must be GRand Suite or above.

Come join the Roll Call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=616773

You can check the websites to make sure what the rules are now or check with your travel agent. We were "Elete" on =X= and our TA gave RCCL that Captian's Club number before our cruise on the Jewel. Even though we had only been on one previous RCCL ship before that cruise, we entered the ship as a "Diamond". That was a few years back so things may have changed.

Depends on the ship and sometimes the port: Our trip on the Jewel started with a welcome letter and a seperate keycard card to the Diamond lounge. That key accessed a Private lounge with a great view, computers, snacks, continential breakfast, and a consierge. Free Drinks and goodies for an hour or so before dinner at a private bar. Some nice welcome parties, priority boarding and disembarking, and some decent coupons for on-board services ( although it doesn't have a Johny Rockets). Been a while, but if I remember right the Mariner has similar perks but the lounge is not as nice a location n the ship.

That cruise on the Jewel was on a last minute, reduced fare, inside cabin and I believe the perks were the same as for more expensive categories.. As I said that was a few years back so "your mileage may differ"...

as far as suite benefits, JS does not qualify for any, except 2 cruise credits. I am not sure how the level on Celebrity works on RCCL. I "think" I have read that if you are Captain's level, or whatever it is called, on Celebrity, it is recognized on RCCL as Diamond I think. I am sure that someone who knows exactly will let us know if I am wrong. JS alone would not allow you access to the CL, must be GRand Suite or above.

If "May" has reached "Elite" status with Celebrity he will have a "Diamond" status on his next RCI cruise. He must have completed at least one sailing on RCI before the Celebrity and RCI statuses are interchangeable. It's the same for a frequent RCI cruiser when he sails Celebrity. He must have one complete sailing before his "Diamond" status would make him an "Elite" on Celebrity. BTW the perks of being Diamond on RCI are a lot better than being Elite on Celebrity.

If "May" has reached "Elite" status with Celebrity he will have a "Diamond" status on his next RCI cruise. He must have completed at least one sailing on RCI before the Celebrity and RCI statuses are interchangeable. It's the same for a frequent RCI cruiser when he sails Celebrity. He must have one complete sailing before his "Diamond" status would make him an "Elite" on Celebrity. BTW the perks of being Diamond on RCI are a lot better than being Elite on Celebrity.

Not true, we became Elite on X as soon as we made our first reservation.

Archived