Extra gratuities for Cabin Steward- what do you usually leave?

nini

YES; we leave the Auto Grats on our bill and they deserve it. We have only felt that we received superior service one time from our steward and left him what we thought was appropriate in an envelope with his name on it. We thought he was so amazing! However, I am wondering what others tip when thanking their steward.

For a 7 night cruise?

For a 10 night cruise?

We leave on a 7 night East Coast in a few days on the Regal!!! Very excited to be on

this ship for the first time!

Thanks so much. :cool:

YES; we leave the Auto Grats on our bill and they deserve it. We have only felt that we received superior service one time from our steward and left him what we thought was appropriate in an envelope with his name on it. We thought he was so amazing! However, I am wondering what others tip when thanking their steward.

For a 7 night cruise?

For a 10 night cruise?

We leave on a 7 night East Coast in a few days on the Regal!!! Very excited to be on

this ship for the first time!

Thanks so much. :cool:

7 nights: $50 to $75

10 nights: $75 to $125

I travel alone in a balcony room, move the glass table & trash can to the closet space, push the blackout and sheers back as far against the wall, and move the barrel chair against the glass and holding the curtains back. It helps to make the room feel more spacious.

Then I meet with my steward and explain that:

-unless the sun is shining directly in, to leave the curtains open, even at night

-I only use the one trash can in the bathroom

-I will always drop used towels on the toilet lid to be replaced

-will diligently use my DND/Service Card in the door

-always wake and leave room early, so I can be an early clean

-I like both daily and turndown service

-I don't like coming back to a black room, so leave a bedside light on.

-I will keep my room tidy and neat

-I will send laundry out everyday, recycling the clean return bag for my next day's dirty, but will need more tickets, and

-I will leave communications, forms, cards on the bed at the foot, next to the laundry bag.

Thereafter, I usually only see my steward in the hall as I'm walking by with a greeting.

The last time I see them is when I personally hand them the gratuity envelope with a sincere thank you.

If he provides only the "routine" services, I generally do not leave/give an additional tip. If I am receiving some extra service, I will tip. On another line, but steward's tip is $4 per passenger per night of the cruise. I've read, but cannot confirm that it is about the same on Princess thru the auto-grat system.

I do explain at the beginning that my daughter has a medical condition that may result in her being very tired and sleeping during the day. I will put the "Do not Disturb" on the door, and tell him to not worry if the room does not get done some days--it is more important that she can rest undisturbed than that my bed is made. We also make a point of leaving the "Please make up the room" indicator on the door when we leave.

Just a small note: If you leave an envelope with the Steward's name on it please also include your last name and your cabin number. If you don't want to include your last name then at least put the cabin number. The steward likely has to turn in the envelope and will get it back if the auto gratuity has been left in place. I've seen people hand envelopes to their waiter, etc. who then ends up asking for their cabin number and then adding it onto the envelope.

Beyond auto-tip, I put some extra $ in an envelope with a brief note thanking him/her and that the $ is in addition to the standard gratuity. If service was up to snuff, I also write out a comment card recognizing the stateroom attendant so s/he can also turn that in to their supervisor/guest services (or I will turn it in myself but note in the aforementioned letter that I have done so) as I've been told that these cards also have some benefit for the attendant.

We're generally pretty simple, our "extra" requests usu. are some extra wire hangers at the start of the cruise, and a 2nd copy of the daily patter if possible.

Just a small note: If you leave an envelope with the Steward's name on it please also include your last name and your cabin number. If you don't want to include your last name then at least put the cabin number. The steward likely has to turn in the envelope and will get it back if the auto gratuity has been left in place. I've seen people hand envelopes to their waiter, etc. who then ends up asking for their cabin number and then adding it onto the envelope.

Good policy to place the cabin number and last name. In the dining room they are required to add that information for the reasons stated.

I understand, however, that the same policy does not apply to room stewards. Auto-grat or not, they keep their envelopes, unlike the MDR.

Consider that a personnal item that will remain that way.

I agree that tipping is personal and get a bit tired of the threads asking about how much people tip. It's not really something that is anybody's business.

My only requests are to leave the curtains open & don't change towels unless on floor. Frankly, I often make the bed (I do at home so no biggee)

Cheap tipper : steward $10 + loose change extra. But I'll add room # in the future

Edited by Ombud

I agree that tipping is personal and get a bit tired of the threads asking about how much people tip. It's not really something that is anybody's business.

Yes, it is personal and the threads on the subject are well worn battlegrounds where you wish the soldiers would just die!

But sometimes, as in the case of the OP, it's an honest question.

I mean I had no idea how much to tip the concierge staff and butler when I was in The Haven on NCL.

So I asked and got a few answers. I think I'm normally someone that tips well for good service, but even I was shocked at the enormity of one suggested tip. So I used it as a "guide" as I made my personal decision on the amount.

On a 10 day cruise I usually will tip the steward $50 the first day I meet him and ask the following:

• 6 pool towels per day. We usually go to the pool during the day, the spa before dinner and also like to use them to shower with
  • Ice in the bucket at all times
  • 2 patters
  • Most importantly - whatever my wife wants....Happy wife, happy life.

I explain that I have prepaid the auto gratuities and if everything is good I will tip more at the end of the trip. I am a big believer in big tipping and never mind tipping a lot.

I leave the auto gratuity on and I'll give the head waiter an additional $20, $10 to the assistant and $20 to the room steward. Every now and then I'll have a head waiter that is unbelievable and I'll tip him $20. I might add that on the last couple of cruises I've been on I was the only one that handed an envelope to the dining staff.

I don't tip in advance as any requests I might have are small and are within the realm of their standard duties.

And I tip the baggage handler $5 for two bags.

Hi Thrak-

Yes, I agree that it is totally a personal and private issue; however, I just needed some guidance and really appreciate the comments. And, yes, we are diligent in completing the comment cards and hope that it is of assistance to the crew member.

And yes; this topic is done over and over; but I felt that this was specific enough to ask.

The crew (the majority) works so hard and very long hours. I worked in many restaurants to get through school and understand the work involved.

I start with $20 us first day (short cruise) and then another at the end. For our 24 day med, I started with $40 and another $50 because I had great service. I give the first day and give my wants to the person. They have brought my bags into the room when we were not there and everybody else was in hall. Its great to be nice to these people.

Interesting. We always put extra tip for waiter and his asst in an envelope with his name on it and they have never asked for cabin number.

I usually give out three tips to the people that cruise on the Rowboat. #1 Don’t stand up. #2 Don’t make the Captain mad. #3 Most important Don’t drink my friend Thrak’s Scotch. :whiskey-glass: :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

We are fairly experienced cruisers with well over 50 cruises on Princess. We do not view our steward as a servant but as a professional worker.

We always leave a tip for services rendered the last night on board - but it ranges between $15 - $30. In our experience this is about the average for those that do leave a tip. (money given before service is rendered is a bribe not a tip).

Further we always fill out the "rating card" as well as the online survey which is very important to them and their future.

P&J