Dress Code

gkgk123ca

After reading most of the posts I was no wiser. I decided to ring Seabourn to obtain a bit more in depth advice as to what a man should wear on formal nights. The suggestion was not to take a dinner suit as that would've take up quite a bit of the 23kg. Luggage allowance. Instead wear a quality lightweight jacket which can be paired with a variety of trousers. Don't need to spend a fortune if one has nothing suitable. Marks and Spencer's have a good selection as have Reiss and Lewins. Wear it with a collared shirt and nice tie.

Don't worry about the people on here who say if you can't dress properly choose another cruise line. You can go over the top when wearing formal clothes. On our previous cruise a guy wore a maroon striped blazer with a large badge on the top pocket. This was paired with grey bold striped trousers and aubergine shoes. He probably paid a fortune but looked silly. Just take the sensible middle of the road option. Nobody will bother at all. Although some clothes snobs may look and comment but they are probably not the type of people you would want to associate with anyway.

We just left the Encore after three weeks. (fine cruise) But we never did understand the dress code. There were different versions in writing. I don't so much care if a man wears a suit or just a jacket and no tie. But I do care when an overweight man walks into Seabourn Square in a swim suit with no shirt. We saw it happen. I do care that there is no enforcement by ship staff of any reasonable dress standards. LittleRedJohn

LRJ - Just as a passing note of interest, would you have been less offended if the guy walking into Seabourn Square sans chemise was one of the buff young dancers in his Speedo?

Well I am not sure about LRJ but I would still prefer not to see anyone sans chemise and in his swim shorts in Seabourn square.....age and looks have nothing to do with it. I would be okay with it if they were just passing through from one area to another.

Julie

Julie - You grasped my point exactly, although, all things considered, if one has to see a shirtless guy in SB Square, I would prefer it to be the buff young dancer rather than a portly old dude like me. In either case, however, I agree that SB should enforce its dress code, even if that results in our not being able to ogle the hot dancer whilst enjoying our Grandma's Cake in the square.

I’m not sure I understand all of the ‘policing’ dress codes and what one thinks is appropriate, or not. In my eyes it’s up to the staff/crew to speak to those terrible offenders. We travel a lot and while some looks are worse than others others clothing has never diminished my enjoyment in travel, be it land, sea, air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is bad. Presumably he had travelled Seabourn before, if he was a club member, and also I imagine the party was after 6 p.m.?

Surely a senior staff member should have had a quiet word.

It was a 6.30pm party and he had to shake hands with the Captain, Hot Man, CD etc before sitting down but obviously nobody pulled him up on his bad manners, dress code clearly states that shorts are not acceptable after 6pm in public areas. Who would turn up to an invitation to a party in shorts?

This did not detract at all from our enjoyment of our cruise, each to their own but as this is a dress code thread I thought I would post our observations.

pcollared shirt and nice tie.

“..... On our previous cruise a guy wore a maroon striped blazer with a large badge on the top pocket. This was paired with grey bold striped trousers and aubergine shoes. He probably paid a fortune but looked silly. . .

What do you mean by “badge”? Is that a hanky? ( Or perhaps a dress code police badge?? ):)

One of the reasons we choose to sail with Seabourn is the elegant evening dress code. Like you, my husband would wear jeans & a jacket at a good restaurant but not on a Seabourn cruise, we both really enjoy the difference, we know we're cruising.

Last night on Odyssey it was the club party and one man came in his shorts, t shirt and sneakers, I just found it disrespectful.
My sister and her husband can't afford to sail with Seabourn but, she recently told me they were through with Carnival because of the people who do not respect the dress code on formal nights. She said that getting dressed up for those evenings is a special part of cruising for her. Maybe that gentleman would prefer Carnival over Seabourn. ;)

I've just spent an hour going through this thread, and other Antarctica threads.

Antarctica - Holiday cruise 2019

We will have landings scheduled on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve. Does Seabourn schedule formal nights on landing days?

(Because it will probably be asked....Why bring this up so far ahead? Currently planning the pack for a cruise next month with a couple of different climates. It occurred to me that if I am finding this hard, what will I do next year when it's warm weather clothes, cold weather clothes, thermals and formal? If we skip the formal wear, the we'll eat in the terrace, but don't want to do that on Xmas eve, Xmas or NYE.)

Like a patch or a crest?

I think of a badge as a piece of insignia denoting membership or affiliation with an organization.

It can, equally , be that - usually made of metal or plastic and fixed to a garment with a pin. However, in the context used in the original post referring to a blazer, it would usually be as described by pedro3gb.

Edited by stamfordian
missing text inserted

Two nations divided by a common language? ;p

Please have some pity on those of us who live in one of those nations and who don't have English as their mother tongue. Trying to figure out some of the differences makes my head hurt sometimes. ;p

Please have some pity on those of us who live in one of those nations and who don't have English as their mother tongue. Trying to figure out some of the differences makes my head hurt sometimes. ;p

I have SO MUCH respect for anyone who speaks more than one language, much less lives their daily life in a language that is not their first!! I was, at one time, more or less fluent in a second language (it was a college graduation requirement for my degree so I studied overseas for a year to better meet the requirement) But clearly, even when we do speak the "same" language, we have confusion:D

But clearly, even when we do speak the "same" language, we have confusion:D

Absolutely!

And don't get me started on the multiple different accents here (northern England).... :o

A big confusion for me was when I used to sail on Silversea and a group of guests were talking about men wearing a 'coat' to dinner. A coat to me is an outdoor garment, never worn to dinner. Apparently a coat is a jacket!

There are many differences just between Americans and British concerning vocabulary and the meaning of words. I remember one dress code thread where someone (from Britain) said that they did not like the "brown" pants that American men wear. I thought to my myself----brown pants---what on earth is he talking about? Finally, I came to understand that he was talking about what we in the United States call khaki pants (in fact, the color is often referred to as British Khaki!). So--I can well understand where someone who speaks and understands English as a second language would be totally lost on the dress code thread.

I've just spent an hour going through this thread, and other Antarctica threads.

Antarctica - Holiday cruise 2019

We will have landings scheduled on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve. Does Seabourn schedule formal nights on landing days

Seabourn can be very formal on Christmas, I suggest it would be apprpropriate to wear a birthday suit in the antarctic.

There probably are not that many folks that have been on the holiday Antarctic cruise, and they aren't monitoring this sticky. Before I post this on the board, does anyone have any (helpful) advice to my query about Antarctic landing days and scheduling of formal nights?