Live from the Sapphire - March 24-31

flourpot

Just boarded the Sapphire and the upgrades are fabulous! Since this is a California coastal cruise, I'll be able to post frequently and answer any questions that anyone has.

Princess started using a staggered embarkation with this cruise. We flew in this morning and arrived at the port around 12:40 (our scheduled time to embark was 1:30). Being platinum, we weren't sure if we'd have to wait to get on the ship. Turns out, if you are platinum, elite, or a suite passenger, you get to bypass all waiting. All other passengers were waiting in the terminal for their alloted boarding time (not sure if they had boarding cards or what).

We have a balcony and still have the old, comfy furniture. The only difference that I see to the room is the new, big flat screen tv. The only unexpected thing about our room was that we walked into one king bed, rather than the 2 twins that we expected. Our room stewardess, Jocelyn, is very nice and said it will be fixed before bed.

We had lunch in the international cafe and it was great (chicken cashew salad and a tuna panini...chocolate peanut butter mousse for dessert). The buffet was a cattle call, as usual. I didn't see a special at the grill like I had read about on here earlier.

Like I said earlier, if you have any questions, ask (I can post pics too)! I have internet on my phone in all the ports and we have the platinum internet package on the ship, so I should be able to post frequently.

This was in our room upon arrival (sorry it's sideways...my phone won't let me edit the photos).

2012-03-24_14-33-25_24.jpg

Here was our dessert from the international cafe (chocolate peanut butter mousse in the mug, tiramisu in the glass).

2012-03-24_13-26-08_915.jpg

They started replacing the TVs in January 2011. As I was disembarking, the flash screens were embarking. I think it took a few months to get this done.

Can you find out when the current Captain is leaving the ship and when Captain Nick Carlton is getting onboard? I think it will probably be in May sometime. Trying to figure out who my Captain will be in May.

If you have a chance - can you stop into my future cabin and cement the old furniture to the floor so that it can't be removed in the future???? :) I sure hope they are not planning on replacing the furniture on this ship by this summer. If you run into anyone in the know - if you can find out about that that would be great :).

Have a great cruise!

Will you please tell me if all of Skywalkers is reserved during the hours of 5 to 7pm for the Elite/Platinum lounge, so that no other passengers are allowed in that area? Just curious.

Also, does your cabin seem to have a newer pillow-top mattress as has been mentioned.

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise.

We're leaving next Saturday (31st), and I am curious what the rotation will be for the dinner menus. Specifically, we are not real big fans of the Caribbean Night menu, and am curious if it is on your cruise and what night - for us, a good night to book a specialty restaurant.

Also, we're Platinum, so it sounds like boarding is pretty much when we get there.

Have fun - this is usually our Mexican cruise, so it will be interesting to see how the different weather and ports will affect our week.

MCB

thanks for checking in and will be looking forward to your reports as the week goes on

if possible could post the daily papers on line when you get home. I know we are going to have a new C.D. also what are the movies now?

Also just got off the Sapphire this morning after 2week Hawaii cruise. Everything was fabulous !!! tV in room about 32 to 36"" I believe.

Indigo was great - all of the entertainment was good, service/staff phenomenal.

Alexander in Crooners shakes a mean martini ! cappuccino was $2.50

New MUTS screen great. Enjoy your cruise !!!

We are doing Califorina Coastal May 5th,hope to find reasonable trip to Nappa Wine country. Did customs hold your departure from the ship up. Barbaretta

Join our roll call........we are getting to be a pretty big group.

from the main cruise critic board go to prince roll call...then the sapphire roll call.....then you will find us!

Also just got off the Sapphire this morning after 2week Hawaii cruise. Everything was fabulous !!! tV in room about 32 to 36"" I believe.

Indigo was great - all of the entertainment was good, service/staff phenomenal.

Alexander in Crooners shakes a mean martini ! cappuccino was $2.50

New MUTS screen great. Enjoy your cruise !!!

Wow. TV's are bigger than I expected. Thanks.

We will be on the same cruise in a few weeks. When you say Platinum can board early, do you mean any time, or just early during their allotted boarding time. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!

Our Princess transfer got us to the pier about 45 mind before our time. Well, we flew right ahead of everyone that was not platinum or elite. There were several hundred people waiting in the terminal when we went by, who came too early. I'm assuming we would have been let on if we had arrived earlier, but I can't be sure.

They started replacing the TVs in January 2011. As I was disembarking, the flash screens were embarking. I think it took a few months to get this done.

Can you find out when the current Captain is leaving the ship and when Captain Nick Carlton is getting onboard? I think it will probably be in May sometime. Trying to figure out who my Captain will be in May.

If you have a chance - can you stop into my future cabin and cement the old furniture to the floor so that it can't be removed in the future???? :) I sure hope they are not planning on replacing the furniture on this ship by this summer. If you run into anyone in the know - if you can find out about that that would be great :).

Have a great cruise!

The caption of our cruise is Ivan Jerman. I'm not sure how to find out when they will be switching...

Oh, btw, I noticed while hanging over my balcony last night that the Dolphin deck has the new furniture (2 reclining chairs, 2 foot stools, and one large round table). Caribe deck has 2 new reclining chairs and a tiny table (no foot stools). Baja deck (where I am) has the old chairs and table (larger than Caribe, but smaller than Dolphin). I'm not sure about Aloha since it is above me.

Will you please tell me if all of Skywalkers is reserved during the hours of 5 to 7pm for the Elite/Platinum lounge, so that no other passengers are allowed in that area? Just curious.

Also, does your cabin seem to have a newer pillow-top mattress as has been mentioned.

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise.

We went to the platinum elite lounge and had to show our cards at the top of the escalator when we went in. He pointed us to the right, where the appetizers were, so I assume that it was all reserved, but I'm not positive. I'll try to find out tonight.

No pillowtop mattress...regular mattress with a foam topper, then an egg crate on top of that (that we requested).

We are doing Califorina Coastal May 5th,hope to find reasonable trip to Nappa Wine country. Did customs hold your departure from the ship up. Barbaretta

We left at 4:01pm, scheduled to leave at 4:00. :-)

Archived