!st timers to NCL< HELP?

10Jan54

I have been reviewing the website and still can't find everything I would like to know. Cruising the Breakaway April 1,2018. We know it will be filled with kids, traveling with teachers and it's the only time they can go. One main question is do you need reservations for all of the "complimentary" dining places excluding buffet? Where do I find all the dress codes for the different places? I will return with more questions before we cruise, thanks for now!

I have been reviewing the website and still can't find everything I would like to know. Cruising the Breakaway April 1,2018. We know it will be filled with kids, traveling with teachers and it's the only time they can go. One main question is do you need reservations for all of the "complimentary" dining places excluding buffet? Where do I find all the dress codes for the different places? I will return with more questions before we cruise, thanks for now!

You certainly don't need reservations for the MDRs (Manhattan/Taste/Savor), but NCL does offer reservations for those venues if you want that peace of mind knowing you have a space reserved (I know it's overkill, but I put a standing reservation for Manhattan every night just in case for my upcoming cruise). Most people report fairly short waits for the MDRs, and usually only in one or two of them, never all three at the same time (and they all have the same menu). O'Sheehans and Shanghai Noodle Bar are two other complimentary sit-down options, and they don't accept reservations at all and are first-come first serve seating.

Overall, the dress code on NCL is very lax. The only venues which require pants (as opposed to shorts) and closed-toed shoes are Le Bistro and (I believe) Ocean Blue.

No reservations needed for any complimentary dining. It will speed your seating, but walk ups work fine.

Shorts are allowed in all complimentary dining rooms for all meals. Two specialty restaurants require long pants for dinner: Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Otherwise, NCL embraces "dress up or not" which people do.

I didn't travel on the Breakaway, but I did go on a long cruise last year on the Star. I found the earlier I went to the complimentary restaurants, the quicker I was seated. I know not everyone likes to eat early -- I prefer later dinners at home -- but I found I was often hungry after a long excursion, so it worked out. If I was still hungry later, after a show, I could always grab a snack or dessert at the buffet. On the first day or two, if you find you are having to wait for a table longer than you like, I'd certainly start making reservations ahead of time. It takes a day or two to figure out the boat, where things are, and even after the end of the trip, you find out things you wished you had known. But, the great thing about a cruise is almost everyone is willing to share practical advice. As I met people who have cruised for many years, I learned and absorbed. I hope you have a wonderful time! One more thing: On the dress code, if you're still not sure, don't hesitate to go to the central area and just ask.