Name the next Carnival Ship!

KCpumkin

What would you name the next Carnival Ship?

TWO NEW 180,000-TON SHIPS FOR CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE WILL BE LARGEST EVER BUILT FOR THE COMPANY AND FIRST IN NORTH AMERICA TO BE POWERED BY LIQUEFIED NATURAL GAS

Agreement with Shipbuilder Meyer Turku Marks Return to Shipbuilding in Finland

For World’s Most Popular Cruise Line

MIAMI (September 6, 2016) – As part of a new multi-ship order announced today by Carnival Corporation & plc, Carnival Cruise Line is scheduled to take delivery of two new 180,000 gross-registered-ton cruise ships in 2020 and 2022 which will be the largest in the fleet of the world’s most popular cruise line. Both ships will be powered by Liquefied Natural Gas under Carnival Corp.’s exclusive “green cruising” design and will mark the first time an LNG-powered cruise ship is based in North America.

The two ships, with an approximate passenger capacity of 5,200 based on double occupancy, are being constructed by Finnish shipbuilder Meyer Turku at the company’s Turku, Finland shipyard. The agreement represents a return to shipbuilding in Finland for Carnival Cruise Line for the first time in 12 years. The company has 12 ships in its current fleet that were constructed in Finland, including its eight Fantasy-class ships and four Spirit-class ships.

“This new ship order signifies an extraordinarily exciting future for Carnival Cruise Line and the opportunities that lie ahead to introduce a variety of magnificent new features and innovations to further enhance our outstanding guest experience,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “We are also thrilled to be introducing Carnival Corporation’s ‘green cruising’ design platform to North America. Both of these ships will be fully powered at sea and in port by Liquefied Natural Gas, which is the world’s cleanest burning fossil fuel. These ships are being designed for maximum energy efficiency and environmental friendliness,” Duffy added.

Specific design details and itinerary information for the new ships will be announced at a later time.

Goliath, Mammoth, the "We Take Back What We Said About Never building a Mega ship" or how about "Sorry NCL that we've made such fun of your builds"

While I plan on doing a one and done on the Vista, I don't plan on ever going any bigger than that. I have 39 and 40 booked and I'm glad that I'll be able to get to my 50th on the Breeze or the Magic. After that I'll likely end my cruising career.

Carnival Mistake, Carnival Flatulence or since going Green is good Carnival Leprechaun?

Just teasing but Carnival Sky does have a nice ring to it. But just because Carnival is building them, perhaps they may not be for Carnival? Princess or HAL?

Interesting - the Wikipedia page for Costa has them taking delivery in 2019 and 2020 for these ships. I wonder if "Vista 3" is going to Costa instead - there are two more Vista-class ships due to P&O Australia in 2019 and 2020.

I actually think the 2022 ship will be Carnival Mardi Gras to commemorate the line's 50th anniversary. Maybe the 2020 ship will be something like Carnival Fiesta, although with the lead ship being two years ahead of the 50th anniversary, who knows. It could still be something like Carnival Reflection or Carnival Spectacle to keep with the "Vista" theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tidecat

Call me nostalgic, but I'd love to see a Carnival MadiGras and Carival Carnivalle Wouldn't mind a new Jubilee, Destiny or Celebration either. Just not the same as the other guys please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the nostalgic names. I think Mardi Gras was the first Carnival ship ( a pre-owned ship ), and Carnivale was the first "purpose built" ship for Carnival, so maybe Mardi Gras II and Carnivale II would be in order. After that, I would be surprised to see any "duplications".

Either way, I won't be sailing any of the new boats. Just too big IMO. Maybe they'll name the next one MegaFloat! lol

Edited by bigboatrider