Does size matter???

deeko

Hello to all.

First time cruiser.......in a sense.

We've been in the Caribbean and in the Med. I know there can be rough weather in both places but here's where "first timer" is true.

We plan to take a transatlantic from US to Europe.

I would value all comments. Does the size of the ship matter when crossing the Atlantic?

For example would anyone advise HAL Vista class or a much bigger ship such as an NCL like the Epic.

Would love to do the TA but just asking advice from other peoples experience.

Maybe impossible to answer as weather has so much to do with it......and even CC can't organise that!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deeko

In general, and depending on the shape of the ship, larger ships would have less apparent motion.

However, the biggest determinant of ship motion is the sea/wind conditions and the ship's course relative to those conditions.

Actually size can matter but it just depends.

Some tall ships don't do so well on a crossing.

So you can have a large ship but how it does will vary.

At the same time if you are on a very small ship you can feel it too such as being on a 200 passenger ship.

The one that does very well is the Queen Mary 2 as it is a true Ocean Liner.

With that said, I have found it ideal to book a room mid deck.

If seas are bothersome the worst spots include being very far forward and on a high deck.

Lower the better.

I also find that during the day time that if I go to a public area on a lower deck and mid ship and one that has an atrium

that this works very well.

The key is to plan for this in terms of location of room you book and also with medicine or something that works for you to

prevent sea sickness.

Keith

P&O has several there and back TAs each year from the UK, using ships of all sizes, and I know many people who go for the month's cruise. I've not heard that size matters much in these cases- the ship we use for this cruise is around 113,000 tons, and I don't think we've had any more rocky moments than anywhere else that we've sailed; friends have recently crossed on one of this line's ships ship which holds 700 pax, another goes on a 64,000 ton one, or an 80,000 and again, seem to have good voyages.I do remember that the massive Oasis, one of the largest cruise ships in the world, had difficulties crossing the Atlantic from Europe for her maiden voyage in the USA

Bad seas can affect any ship. One of the worst recent crossings happened to one of the largest cruise ships - at the time of the crossing, she was the largest. Oasis of the Seas crossed from northern Europe without passengers. She had 60 ft seas and sustained damage and was delayed a couple of days into Port Canaveral. I would bet the crew were glad there weren't any passengers - they were just trying to keep themselves together...EM

While there are conditions that will cause any ship to transmit rough weather, taller and smaller ships will be affected by conditions that bigger ships wouldn’t even notice. I love ocean crossings, but there are some ships I think are too small for me to consider it (less than 30,000 tonnes or so).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello to all.

First time cruiser.......in a sense.

We've been in the Caribbean and in the Med. I know there can be rough weather in both places but here's where "first timer" is true.

We plan to take a transatlantic from US to Europe.

I would value all comments. Does the size of the ship matter when crossing the Atlantic?

For example would anyone advise HAL Vista class or a much bigger ship such as an NCL like the Epic.

Would love to do the TA but just asking advice from other peoples experience.

Maybe impossible to answer as weather has so much to do with it......and even CC can't organise that!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deeko

You've answered your own question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums