Caribbean cruises vs. Hawaii

tbmrt

Cruising to the Caribbean is easy for us since we live in FL and just drive to the port.

We've visited most of the Caribbean islands and now want to venture to other ports.

Interested if those of you who live in FL, love Caribbean cruises and have visited Hawaii think "it's worth the hassle to get there and the extra expense.

Cruising to the Caribbean is easy for us since we live in FL and just drive to the port.

We've visited most of the Caribbean islands and now want to venture to other ports.

Interested if those of you who live in FL, love Caribbean cruises and have visited Hawaii think "it's worth the hassle to get there and the extra expense.

Try living in Scotland and cruising from Hawaii Jan’18 - that is a hassle

But so worth it - she said hopefully!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A Hawaiian cruise is fine, but an Hawaiian land vacation is better. If you have 10-15 days, do a land tour.

If you have 9 or less days....what you will need for an NCL 7 day cruise, then the cruise option is a bit stronger.

That being said, for us living on the West Coast, and having been to Hawaii about 25 times( all land trips, 7 to 12 days each), we love Hawaii.

Agreed...fly to Hawaii and do a land-based. An Hawaiian cruise, Alaskan cruise, European cruise, etc....is NOTHING like a Caribbean cruise! If you want to see and do Hawaii, a land-based trip is how to do it! Once you're there, a rental car will be your best means of seeing all you want. A hotel room will be MUCH nicer than a ship's cabin...

Hawaii isn't like the Caribbean, where you can hop off the ship, and do something "on the fly". You'll need to do your research, and decide what's important, and pre-book stuff...no "guides" waiting ashore!

A flight from the E. Coast is LONG...you will have 2 days of getting used to the time change.

I live in Tampa. It’s COMPLETELY worth the hassle. It’s a whole different world out there compared to the islands down south. The jet lag will get ya though! Definitely do it. And rent a car in the overnight ports and just drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do you have to live in Florida to answer this question? I don't get it.

Probably because they’re trying to decide if it’s similar to the Caribbean and worth the extra money to see another island. But it’s definitely not the same.

Agreed...fly to Hawaii and do a land-based. An Hawaiian cruise, Alaskan cruise, European cruise, etc....is NOTHING like a Caribbean cruise! If you want to see and do Hawaii, a land-based trip is how to do it! Once you're there, a rental car will be your best means of seeing all you want. A hotel room will be MUCH nicer than a ship's cabin...

Hawaii isn't like the Caribbean, where you can hop off the ship, and do something "on the fly". You'll need to do your research, and decide what's important, and pre-book stuff...no "guides" waiting ashore!

A flight from the E. Coast is LONG...you will have 2 days of getting used to the time change.

I respectfully disagree. Land based tours require a lot of unpacking, repacking, and extra travel if you want to see every island the cruise will provide you. Puddle jumping from island to island does not sound relaxing to me. The ports have overnight stays in two locations where you can rent a car and stay out late. I much preferred that when over there.

I respectfully disagree. Land based tours require a lot of unpacking, repacking, and extra travel if you want to see every island the cruise will provide you. Puddle jumping from island to island does not sound relaxing to me. The ports have overnight stays in two locations where you can rent a car and stay out late. I much preferred that when over there.

If you are going with the mindset that you NEED to see every island in one trip, you are correct. If you going with the concept that you want to relax, get into the Hawaiian mood,,and explore two ( maybe 3) islands, along with water activities, then a land tour is the way.

I just finished a transpacific cruise and can tell you that the experience is much different and IMHO, better. I am also in the same time zone and it is a lot of effort to get there, but the Caribbean islands have all started to look so similar to me.

Hawaii is more Asian and the landscapes and experiences are stunning. I also recently cruised to Fiji and New Caledonia which are very different from Hawaii. Consider doing a TP and you can see two of the Hawaiian islands on the way to Australia.

Probably because they’re trying to decide if it’s similar to the Caribbean and worth the extra money to see another island. But it’s definitely not the same.

Thank you for answering the question, since the OP has not. I politely disagree with your response though, as living in Florida has nothing to do with it. I have been to the Caribbean dozens of times and have been to Hawaii 3 times. Her question is directed at people that live in Florida. I do not, so I therefore am not qualified to answer the question?

I think a Hawaiian cruise is a great first introduction to Hawaii. I visited 4 islands, and if I were ever to go back for a land vacation, I now know I would prefer Kawai or Maui.

Lots of us have long flights to Hawaii, so I don't know that living in Florida makes the perspective any different.

Roz

Hawaii (particularly Kauai) blows away anything in the Caribbean. d731896195c916549270f91142ea97f9.jpg36f5c6aa1ed5825dfa5e3f4a3425fe6f.jpg

But, while a cruise there may provide a good intro to the islands, Hawaii is always best find a a land vacation (or perhaps a yacht charter for those who are into the pros and cons of that option).

Hey there! I remember you from a few questions you had about Jalousie Beach from the review I did 2 years ago. Hope I can help out some this time, even though we don't live in FL. We actually just spent two weeks in Hawaii this past September, but as a land vacation and not on a cruise. Hawaii IS beautiful, and so is the water. If you enjoy water activities and snorkeling, to be honest, I recommend the Caribbean. Although spectacularly beautiful, the beaches are very different than the east coast USA and Caribbean. Most of the sand beaches we visited are wide, but the sections closes to the water are very sloped. The water was much rougher at most of the beaches we visited with strong surf, hard shore breaks, undertow, and strong rip currents. Although I love the ocean, I have respect for it and with these conditions, I admired the beauty from the safety of the beach. There were only four beaches where we felt safe enough to get in and swim/snorkel.

Enough about the beaches. We visited Oahu (stated Waikiki Beach in Honolulu), Kauai, and Maui. All were very pretty and all were very different. Oahu, for example, has 10 of the world's 14 climate zones. When driving around, the scenery changed dramatically in areas, going from lush green to almost desert landscape. Kauai was very mountainous, lush, and green. Much to see inland as well. Strange little coincidence, but you posted a question about Jalousie Beach in St. Lucia, on the review I did. The first time we were in St. Lucia, others on our tour with Spencer Ambrose mentioned how much St. Lucia reminded them of Hawaii. This was on his speedboat on the "sea tour" on the return trip. At that time, we had not been to Hawaii. But now I can say "yes", the scenery is similar (mountainous and green). In Maui, we did the sunrise volcano tour to Haleakala crater and drove to a couple different beaches and up to the golf courses in Kapalua (hubby wanted to see those). The beaches in Lahaina, especial Ka'anapali Beach, were gorgeous and the water was calm. There is an area called Black Rock that is known for great snorkeling. We had all intentions of snorkeling there, but ran out of time.

We were able to do this through a package deal through Pleasant Holidays and for a great price, well under what we thought it would cost. It included airfare (that also included all inter island flights), hotel accommodations, and rental cars. You have the option of choosing which hotels you stay in, so that can affect price. In Kauai, my husband chose a more expensive hotel, but looking back, it was probably a waste. We were basically only there to sleep. There was a dress code for the restaurants on the property and we did not pack "dress up" clothes as we wanted to back as light as possible.

We chose land vacation over a cruise since there was so much to see and do, and even with the time we spent there, there is still so much more to see and do. But the positive of a cruise is that you'll get to all four of the major islands and the ship would be a "home base", so hotel and meals would be taken care of. The cons would be picking and choosing what to do, but it can give you a taste and then you can decided if you'd want to return for a "land vacation".

My favorite part of our Hawaii cruise was the many sea days going and returning. The onboard activities such as hula, ukulele, lei and jewelry making added a great deal to the Hawaii experience.

OP, if you are looking for a change from Caribbean cruises, have you considered Canada/New England or Bermuda cruises?

Hey there! I remember you from a few questions you had about Jalousie Beach from the review I did 2 years ago. Hope I can help out some this time, even though we don't live in FL. We actually just spent two weeks in Hawaii this past September, but as a land vacation and not on a cruise. Hawaii IS beautiful, and so is the water. If you enjoy water activities and snorkeling, to be honest, I recommend the Caribbean. Although spectacularly beautiful, the beaches are very different than the east coast USA and Caribbean. Most of the sand beaches we visited are wide, but the sections closes to the water are very sloped. The water was much rougher at most of the beaches we visited with strong surf, hard shore breaks, undertow, and strong rip currents. Although I love the ocean, I have respect for it and with these conditions, I admired the beauty from the safety of the beach. There were only four beaches where we felt safe enough to get in and swim/snorkel.

Enough about the beaches. We visited Oahu (stated Waikiki Beach in Honolulu), Kauai, and Maui. All were very pretty and all were very different. Oahu, for example, has 10 of the world's 14 climate zones. When driving around, the scenery changed dramatically in areas, going from lush green to almost desert landscape. Kauai was very mountainous, lush, and green. Much to see inland as well. Strange little coincidence, but you posted a question about Jalousie Beach in St. Lucia, on the review I did. The first time we were in St. Lucia, others on our tour with Spencer Ambrose mentioned how much St. Lucia reminded them of Hawaii. This was on his speedboat on the "sea tour" on the return trip. At that time, we had not been to Hawaii. But now I can say "yes", the scenery is similar (mountainous and green). In Maui, we did the sunrise volcano tour to Haleakala crater and drove to a couple different beaches and up to the golf courses in Kapalua (hubby wanted to see those). The beaches in Lahaina, especial Ka'anapali Beach, were gorgeous and the water was calm. There is an area called Black Rock that is known for great snorkeling. We had all intentions of snorkeling there, but ran out of time.

We were able to do this through a package deal through Pleasant Holidays and for a great price, well under what we thought it would cost. It included airfare (that also included all inter island flights), hotel accommodations, and rental cars. You have the option of choosing which hotels you stay in, so that can affect price. In Kauai, my husband chose a more expensive hotel, but looking back, it was probably a waste. We were basically only there to sleep. There was a dress code for the restaurants on the property and we did not pack "dress up" clothes as we wanted to back as light as possible.

We chose land vacation over a cruise since there was so much to see and do, and even with the time we spent there, there is still so much more to see and do. But the positive of a cruise is that you'll get to all four of the major islands and the ship would be a "home base", so hotel and meals would be taken care of. The cons would be picking and choosing what to do, but it can give you a taste and then you can decided if you'd want to return for a "land vacation".

Wow - Thanks again. Really, truly appreciate your help.

Agree "Hawaii is always worth it". We've been to Hawaii at least a dozen times (we live on the west coast) and have been to the Caribbean about 5 times and we could care less if we ever visit the Caribbean again. Too many ships in port at the same time, etc. I think that a cruise to Hawaii from the west coast is a great idea if you have the time.

Yes - the water in some places in the Hawaiian islands is perfect for surfing rather than swimming but they have calm snorkeling/swimming areas as well that I'm sure there would be excursions to. Actually, in Waikiki, you can take a bus to a wonderful snorkeling area (Hanauma Bay - probably misspelled).

Wow - Thanks again. Really, truly appreciate your help.

Whoever suggested that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island needs to have their eyes checked.

That said, do the research for a land vacation, start with Kauai, the Garden Isle (Honolulu on Oahu is like L.A. while its north shore is worth a visit). Skip the Pleasant Holidays tour group and do your own homework/arrangements.

Hawaii is completely different from the Caribbean - it is a fusion of Asia and US - while being a state. Of course the long flights are a pain, and if you do not like NCL you need to accept the sea days (which I do enjoy) from California. Having sailed the Caribbean many times - Navy and cruising - I have little further interest, except for the fact that it is a much pleasanter area than New England between Thanksgiving and Easter - so I will probably make return visits- but land stays, once the islands recover.

Whoever suggested that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island needs to have their eyes checked.

That said, do the research for a land vacation, start with Kauai, the Garden Isle (Honolulu on Oahu is like L.A. while its north shore is worth a visit). Skip the Pleasant Holidays tour group and do your own homework/arrangements.

FYI, PH is not an "organized tour" group. I mentioned Pleasant Holidays because of the savings. Before our trip this year, we were doing our "own homework" on pricing hotel and flights for HI when a friend mentioned savings they had for their trip by booking through Pleasant Holidays and recommended we check them out, so we did. It was a package that included flights, hotel accommodations, and rental cars under one lump sum. My husband spent hours calculating & comparing prices between PH and booking all own our own and booking through PH was a better deal, so that was our choice. PH was only involved with booking hotel/air/rental cars, that was it. The rest was all on our own. What we chose to do was what WE wanted to see and do, based on OUR own "homework", which was several months of research on our part.

Yes, I DID say that "the scenery is similar (mountainous and green)" in reference to St. Lucia. Similar meaning mountainous and green. I can understand/respect differences of opinions, but you could have just as easily stated that YOU didn't "think that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island" and leave it at that. Others have stated that the islands in the Caribbean & Hawaii are "completely different" in disagreement without stating that other posters "need their eyes checked".

Edited by pghsteelerfan