Luggage Services ?

Rob M

I don't understand how they work. I check my luggage in Atlanta and the next time I see my bags, there in my state room? How do they do that? How does a total stranger recognize my bags at the Ft. Lauderdale airport baggage claim? He's never seen them before. I don't get it. Can anyone explain it to me?

Not sure which line you are sailing or which port. On each RCI and Celebrity cruise we have taken you will claim your bags in the airport as usual. Then you will transport the bags with you to the port, turn over to the porters for movement onto the ship and up to your cabin.

You pick our bags up as stated above then put your cabin bag tag on & depends on how you are getting to the port

Ship's shuttle or taxi ?

If taxi or other private service you give the bags to porters at the dock but make sure your Ship's baggage tag is on it with the cabin number

usually people tip the porter then they toss it in a bin & the crew on the ship put it outside your cabin

I don't understand how they work. I check my luggage in Atlanta and the next time I see my bags, there in my state room? How do they do that? How does a total stranger recognize my bags at the Ft. Lauderdale airport baggage claim? He's never seen them before. I don't get it. Can anyone explain it to me?

Luggage Valet (leaving your luggage outside your cabin door on last night of cruise and not having to claim those bags until you reach your home airport) is offered by some cruiselines and carriers...but that's when leaving the ship...not getting to the ship.

Luggage Valet (leaving your luggage outside your cabin door on last night of cruise and not having to claim those bags until you reach your home airport) is offered by some cruiselines and carriers...but that's when leaving the ship...not getting to the ship.

Just to support - this is the correct response. The luggage valet service is ship to airport - not airport to ship.

Luggage Valet service (ship to home airport) is the BEST. It was free with our suite on our honeymoon, and we use it now whenever possible unless we are driving, even if we have to pay for it. You don't have to go find your luggage in the port terminal and lug it a couple inches at a time through the Customs line, or deal with checking it in at the long line to the desk at the airport with the other 5000 people who rolled off one of several ships in port. (Especially helpful after flying in & out of FLL one January -- there were flights cancelled because of an ice storm in another part of the country and more people were in that line than usual & for longer periods.) The service included checking us in at the airline ahead of time (at least on RCL), airline tickets were in our room the night before, and you walk straight to the TSA security checkpoint to go to your gate. You see your luggage at your home airport baggage claim.

Hmm, maybe they READ THE TAGS on the bags?

You know, the ones the airlines put on, to route your bags, normally :) , to your intended destination.

And, if they do this a lot, they can actually have the airline sort them to gather up all the bags.

I suspect this is a luxury line offering this service. Not common, but doable.

Many private car services will send you to the car, take your baggage tags, and collect your bags for you,

This may not work internationally due to customs requirements.