Machu Picchu from Pisco or Lima - Independant Tour

CAcruzfunatic

I looked for a while on the boards to find this type of tour so I thought I would post my experience on our 3 day 2 night excursion to Machu Picchu in March 2018

We used Adventures to Peru (ATP) in March 2018 for a quick excursion to Machu Picchu from our Celebrity Infinity cruise. We had two nights and three days off the ship available for the adventure and was referred to ATP by a past guest of theirs that had done the same excursion. The ship was doing the same excursion but it was quite expensive so I decided to reach out to ATP.

From my initial contact Sean was very prompt in replying to my questions. He asked what was important to us. He asked what type of hotel we liked and what our interests were. He seemed truly interested in matching the trip to our interests and expectations.

There were many moving parts in a short period of time but ATP made sure there was adequate time for each connection and also to add room to encounter our surroundings as we went.

On our first day, we were picked up in Pisco, Peru by Jorge who drove our group, two couples, to Lima to the airport. He was mindful to stop for a restroom break at a place with new clean facilities that also offered snacks if wanted. Jorge then drove us to the Lima airport. He took us in and checked us in for our flights and made sure me made it to the security check point. We had plenty of time to make our flight to Cusco. Once in Cusco, we were met by Rene waiting with a sign as we departed the secure area at the Cusco airport. Rene and a driver took us from the Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo in the Sacred valley with a lower elevation to ensure we would acclimate to the elevation quicker since we were on a quick trip. We stopped along the way at a wonderful weaving establishment where the women share how they washed, spun, dyed and wove wool and alpaca fur into beautiful products. That was an unexpected highlight! We arrived in Ollantaytambo at our hotel after dark and a bit late. The hotel was so nice. It wasn’t until morning that we realized how beautiful the grounds and the setting were. With the mountains jetting up on all side it was amazing! The food at the hotel was wonderful and the staff were gracious and welcoming.

We woke up early and walked to the town square to see many men showing up hoping to be hired by hikers starting their trek on the Inca Trail. Ollantaytambo is beautiful. We could have spent a few days there. Rene was back, we checked our baggage at the front desk and from our hotel we walked no more than two blocks to board the Peru Rail train to Machu Picchu. We had requested an upgrade to the Peru Rail Vista Dome train and felt it was well worth the additional costs. The ride was a fantastic experience. Rene traveled with us and explained so many things along the way. Upon arriving in Aguas Calliente and a quick restroom stop Rene led us directly to pick up tickets for the bus up to Machu Picchu. Rene asked as we went what was important to us and was a remarkable host as we continued our adventure. Rene led us on his favorite path through Machu Picchu sure to include all his favorite view points and included so much information and history. At the end of the day we headed back to Aguas Calliente to Rene’s favorite restaurant and a wonderful late lunch. The only rain of the day fell as we sat in enjoyed our meal. We took the train back to Ollantaytambo, were greeted by a driver who then drove us, with Rene, back to Cusco. We spent the night in a wonderful little hotel about three block from the old town plaza.

We woke up early and had asked Rene if we could walk around the old town plaza and market before heading to the airport. He was pleased to oblige and met us at 7:00 am. As we entered the plaza, palm Sunday, there were hundreds filling the space, buying “ramos (branches) of palm fronds and rosemary in the form of a cross. These will hang in their homes for holy week to ward off unwanted spirits. Catholicism seems to be woven together with Inca culture to form a unique expression of their spiritual dedication and concern for the spirit world. Music filled the plaza from the Cathedral and many vendors sold crosses, candles, and special foods. We ventured into the city market that was teaming with activity. I love the experience of the culture being lived out all around you. Rene carefully explained so much that was happening around us. He was proud of his country and culture and glad to share them with us. Our driver picked up our bags from the hotel and met us outside the market and we were off to the airport. Rene had already printed our boarding passes and since we were only carrying on our backpacks he walked us to the security check point, we said our good buys, took a final picture together and said till we see you again.

After our hour and a half flight we were back in Lima with Jorge waiting at the exit from the airport secure area. Getting back in the van with Jorge, we had discussed Inca Cola on the way from Pisco to Lima on Day 1, so Jorge had purchased each of us an Inca Cola to try as we traveled to meet the ship at the port of Lima. Sean had done research on the ship shuttle meeting place and Jorge drove us right to the place and there was a ship shuttle waiting to take us through the industrial port back to the ship.

The entire adventure was amazing, well planned, well executed, personal, immersive and a fantastic experience. I would fully endorse Adventures to Peru. They know how to listed, plan and execute a special adventure. We hope to use them again in the future. Thank you Sean, Jorge and Rene!