Santiago Airport to hotel and CC question

Nitemare

Have a couple days in Santiago next month before a cruise, I know in some places taxis aren't the best way to get to your hotel. Is this an issue in Santiago?

And can we survive 2 days in Santiago with credit and debit cards, not changing currency?

Thanks!

Not a problem in Santiago Chile, to take a taxi from the airport (SCL) to your hotel. That's what I have always done.

When you leave the baggage area, you will immediately be greeted by a number of gentlemen holding signs that say Taxi/Turista, all trying to get your attention (and your business). It feels a little sketchy the first time, but that's just how it's done. Pick one, and they will lead you outside to their cab. If I recall correctly, the fare is about $25 USD (at least to the hotel I use in the Lastarria district).

As to surviving without local currency, I suppose it could be done. You will pay for your hotel in USD anyway (to avoid the VAT), and you will pay for meals with a credit card. But you should make sure that your taxi driver will take a credit card, before getting into the cab. Personally I like to take enough local currency to pay for the airport cab, and for tips and incidentals, but that's just me.

Also if you decide to take the subway to get around (and it's very good, just use the same common sense you would in Boston or NYC), then you should have some Chilean pesos, and you will also need pesos if you decide to do one of the "Tours 4 Tips" tours (although they might take USD).

Just got back from Chile.

Can do transfer from aeroport to hotel in USD.

To Lastarria, where we stayed: Shared: 7pp; Private car: 20; Private minivan 24.

As Bleacher 04 noted, pay for your hotel in USD (avoids 19% IVA).

For everything else, you really will want CLP.

Thanks! Quite helpful!

Is there an ATM at the airport to get CLP for that taxi, etc?

There is a currency exchange booth at the airport; I’m sure there is probably also an ATM, but I can’t confirm it.

The last time we started a cruise in Santiago, I got 100,000 CLP (about $165 USD) from our bank before leaving, as we were four days in Santiago, and then withdrew more from an ATM near our hotel, as we were going to Valparaiso for a few days before sailing, and our first port was also in Chile.

But as I said, I like to have local currency for taxis, tips, and incidentals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Not a problem in Santiago Chile, to take a taxi from the airport (SCL) to your hotel. That's what I have always done.

When you leave the baggage area, you will immediately be greeted by a number of gentlemen holding signs that say Taxi/Turista, all trying to get your attention (and your business). It feels a little sketchy the first time, but that's just how it's done. Pick one, and they will lead you outside to their cab. If I recall correctly, the fare is about $25 USD (at least to the hotel I use in the Lastarria district).

As to surviving without local currency, I suppose it could be done. You will pay for your hotel in USD anyway (to avoid the VAT), and you will pay for meals with a credit card. But you should make sure that your taxi driver will take a credit card, before getting into the cab. Personally I like to take enough local currency to pay for the airport cab, and for tips and incidentals, but that's just me.

Also if you decide to take the subway to get around (and it's very good, just use the same common sense you would in Boston or NYC), then you should have some Chilean pesos, and you will also need pesos if you decide to do one of the "Tours 4 Tips" tours (although they might take USD).

Taxi should be around 8000 - 10000 pesos from the airport to your hotel. We had booked a transfer with SCL Transfer and he was very prompt and reliable

Taxi took CC at the airport counter. So did the HOHO and the tour we booked to Valparaiso as well as lunch near our hotel. Only thing we needed cash for was the funicular and our guide spotted us the 2 round trips (about $0.60). We ended up not changing cash

• 3 weeks later...

Just in South America. Taxi was $25 we confirmed the price before getting in. This was to the centre.

Very easy just exit arrivals and we went outside to the black and yellow taxis just over the road on the left.