Help with packing Danube cruise late September

Boomergalla

I am leaving for my first European river cruise in a few days. We will be in Eastern Europe. I need help packing!! Sandals for evening or too cold? I am trying to limit my baggage but this time of year is tough. Are black jeans and a dressy top dressy enough for dinner? I love skirts, but fear it will be too cold at night to wear sandals, and don't want to pack boots. Any advice? I am a Los Angeles gal so not used to too much cold weather. Thanks!

There are options between sandals & boots - what about a nice ballet flat, loafer, etc? I typically prefer dresses to pants for most things and wear a comfort ballet flat/mary jane for walking & still look ok at dinner ;-) But casual is definitely the norm for river cruise dinners! I just happen to like dresses :-)

You should check the weather for the ports you'll visit to get an idea of what could happen (and plan for layers as you noted it's a transitional season :D)

You don't say where you'll be, but for instance, Budapest is 80 during the day and 50s at night (F) but down to 70 for a daytime high starting Sunday.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/HUXX0002:1:HU

70s or 80s - sandals for sure. 50s? Not for me (though I could definitely do a ballet flat without socks or tights - but my MIL would be freezing, so....)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I usually travel in early September, with a summer wardrobe. Much easier to pack. Thanks

Guess it's what you're used to - we like to travel in colder weather so for me, I can pack more easily - and lighter- in cold weather :p Transitional is hard no matter how you cut it.

We were on the Danube last year about that time and it was not warm. We had rain, fog, and cold. I recommend packing a packable down type jacket (I wore mine the entire trip), some gloves and a hat. Also, dining is very casual and we did not change for dinner. Make sure you have comfortable shoes for walking, rain jacket, warmer jacket. Layer your clothing so if it does get warmer you can take off a layer.

Prague is amazing! Be sure to go up to the park above the river and have a beer in the outdoor beer garden. We loved Budapest too. We took a food tour there and it was a lot of fun.

Guess it's what you're used to - we like to travel in colder weather so for me, I can pack more easily - and lighter- in cold weather :p Transitional is hard no matter how you cut it.

Same here. Give me colder weather and packing is easy. And, I get to wear BOOTS which does not happen where I live.:D

We are also sailing the Danube on our first river cruise - Prague to Budapest - at the end of Sept. and early October. My research has turned up average high temperatures in the low 60's, with lows going into the 40's. So I am reluctantly leaving my sandals at home and packing flats, as well as jackets, sweaters, long sleeves and long pants. I don't know if people gather on open decks very much during fall cruises, but I am concerned that it may be colder on the water, and I want to be prepared.

That being said, it is currently warmer in that part of Europe than it normally is, so we may get lucky. I plan to check out the forecast a few days before we leave and adjust if necessary. I have been using the Weather Underground site for my information.

Cheryl

We leave home on the 27 OCT for a few days in Austria, then to a Danube cruise. I will be packing clothing to layer, cords and leggings, rain trench with zip out lining (will wear on plane), packable down jacket for evenings and colder temps, ankle boots for daytime walking, 2nd pair of walking shoes that are waterproof.

Yes, people do spend a good amount of time on deck during fall cruises IME.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Danube including Prague and Budapest. Bring a lightweight vest to parka, the kind you roll up very small. On warmer days I wore the vest and a scarf. The parka was light and not bulky, served itself well for colder days. I wore hiking shoes by Ecco for day. Nights on the boat for dinner, skirt or pants with a nice top. Inside is warm so don't worry about strappy shoes, they will be fine. I found I was a little overdressed. But I like to look nice and dinner is set up like a gourmet meal.

• 10 months later...

We did this same (on board Scenic) Sept/Oct last year and found the weather great. Warm days and didn't worry about the nights as we were indoors. I took a rain jacket, and a soft shell jacket for warmth but found I only used that once, and even then I didn't really need to. The rain jacket was the perfect weight so I always took that out and underneath mainly blouses and smart t-shirt type tops. Things that didn't need ironing and dried quickly if I had to hand wash. Shoes: I took evening shoes with a wedge so still slightly OK if on cobbles (briefly!) walking shoes and some Dr Scholl Mary Jane shoes for on the plane and the days on board. I like to dress up for dinner, but smart casual is the general rule and your black jeans and nice top will be perfect. I took items that could easily be dressed up or down by mixing and matching. Layering is the key. You can always throw in a scarf or warm hat to your suitcase and they take up minimal room. It also helped me by checking the weather forecasts along the route before we left home.

Thank you! We will be checking the weather forecast a couple days before departure.

We did this same (on board Scenic) Sept/Oct last year and found the weather great. Warm days and didn't worry about the nights as we were indoors. I took a rain jacket, and a soft shell jacket for warmth but found I only used that once, and even then I didn't really need to. The rain jacket was the perfect weight so I always took that out and underneath mainly blouses and smart t-shirt type tops. Things that didn't need ironing and dried quickly if I had to hand wash. Shoes: I took evening shoes with a wedge so still slightly OK if on cobbles (briefly!) walking shoes and some Dr Scholl Mary Jane shoes for on the plane and the days on board. I like to dress up for dinner, but smart casual is the general rule and your black jeans and nice top will be perfect. I took items that could easily be dressed up or down by mixing and matching. Layering is the key. You can always throw in a scarf or warm hat to your suitcase and they take up minimal room. It also helped me by checking the weather forecasts along the route before we left home.

• 7 months later...

Dear redmondmohand,

We are happy to chime in here, and confirm that our Longship staterooms provide ample space under the bed for luggage and can easily accommodate most full-sized suitcases. For more packing tips, we invite you to check out our FAQ page located on our website (link in signature).

Should you have any additional questions as your voyage draws near, redmondmohand, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

We have 25 inch and 27 inch suitcases. Will these fit under the beds of our standard cabin? We are booked on the Mayb13, 2018 Viking Danube Waltz Cruise on the Viking Legend.