Alaska September Jacket

BAHunt

Fiancé and I have been debating what bankers will be needed for a round trip Alaska Cruise from Seattle September 9.

He wants to bring his huge LLBean down jacket would take an entire carry on itself. (Its knee length and he’s 6’3”.)

I say a fleece under a rain jacket.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cruised Alaska late August-early September in 2016. It's just my opinion, but I think the down is a bit excessive. I'm almost always cold, but even at the chilliest times I was comfortable in a long-sleeve top, hoodie, fleece, and a hat. The benefit is that all of those pieces are useful on their own as well. Plus, I don't think down insulates as well when it gets wet.

Full disclosure: I'm biased as a light packer who wouldn't bring such a large item that serves only one purpose :)

Layers! Leave the down at home! Beanie hat, gloves waterproof/windproof (zip into its own pocket) jacket, long sleeve t & if you need a fleece buy it there as a souvenir

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Layers! As mentioned, they are more versatile, as you can wear as few or as many as needed. If your husband is insistent on his puffy jacket, he might consider purchasing one of the newer ones that takes advantage of the most recent technology....while they are super warm, they also compress down to almost nothing so take up very little space when packing, compared to standard puffy/down jackets. Often they come with a little cinch sack...you can roll them up and compress out all the extra air, put them in the cinch sack and pull the strings tight to compress it even more. I've seen some that compress down to a size that's roughly equivalent to no more space than a pair of shoes would take.

The nice thing about a down jacket is that it can easily be packed in a compression bag; the kind with zipper/channels on both ends, not the type that requires a vacuum cleaner. Insert jacket, close the zip, sit on it to press out the air, admire nice flat packet.

I used my down jacket every day on AK cruise; however, I also was glad I had my hooded raincoat to put over it.

All else being equal, though, I think a long coat is too much, and more likely to get wet.

And, IMO, hoodies/sweatshirts are too bulky to be worth packing. Wool sweaters and silk or synthetic shirts are my preference for my layers.

I wouldn’t depend on sweatshirts or hoodies either. Too bulky, too heavy and take forever to dry.

I am getting this jacket. Good down to 5 degrees, water-resistant, weighs a couple ounces and packs tiny. I can wear my waterproof single layer longer jacket over it if I want more warmth and a hood.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-lightweight-primaloft-jacket/id_302555

I’m sure Eddie Bauer, Lands End or LL Bean carry men’s versions.

First off the weather can change year over year.

I get cold easily but would not do a down jacket that time of year and I've been there multiple times then.

I would have a waterproof jacket with hood.

A fleece and if he doesn't have a fleece then a sweater or sweatshirt.

A hat.

A scarf and gloves just to be on the safe side for viewing glaciers from ship or possibly on an excursion.

Regular and waterproof pants.

Key is to layer.

A down jacket which we have used in some selected cruises to other areas of the world is really overkill and might make him too hot and if one starts to sweat it will actually make you cooler.

Keith

Fiancé and I have been debating what bankers will be needed for a round trip Alaska Cruise from Seattle September 9.

He wants to bring his huge LLBean down jacket would take an entire carry on itself. (Its knee length and he’s 6’3”.)

I say a fleece under a rain jacket.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If he really wants to take the jacket, pack it in a stuff sack, compression bag or Space Bag.

Last September I was warm with a long sleeve T, thin cardigan, beanie, scarf and light wool socks for glacier viewing. I run hot though. Brought a thin jacket and a rain shell but ended up wearing a $20 Tongass Trading jacket most days in port.