Width of opening between balconies with divider walls open on Eurodam?

Tinknock50

Hi,

Does anyone know the width of the openings between balconies when the dividers are open?

Thanks!

This is a balcony shot on the Eurodam of a Signature Suite. My guess would be 18-24”?

The piece to the left is the part that opens.

bc22c9f3c4b6d90e7055b910f41c4eb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you may be right. I was hoping a wheelchair would fit through, but that would require 25".

There are some HC cabins that have two sections, the front section of which looks over the bow, but the chair would have to through that opening. My friend could bring up his chair to that opening so that wouldn't be too bad.

This is a balcony shot on the Eurodam of a Signature Suite. My guess would be 18-24”?

The piece to the left is the part that opens.

bc22c9f3c4b6d90e7055b910f41c4eb1.jpg

I got a response from Access and Compliance and the ship physically measured the divider opening. It is 62 cm, or 24.4 inches wide. The rear wheels on my friend's chair are 25", so too wide, but at least he can poke his way most of the way through up to the wheels and see forward from there.

So your guess was very close. :)

I got a response from Access and Compliance and the ship physically measured the divider opening. It is 62 cm, or 24.4 inches wide. The rear wheels on my friend's chair are 25", so too wide, but at least he can poke his way most of the way through up to the wheels and see forward from there.

So your guess was very close. :)

What a shame, a lousy half inch [emoji17]

What a shame, a lousy half inch [emoji17]

There is a post there that I would love to take out just for our cruise, but probably not just screwed on.;)

Edited by Tinknock50

Any possibility of using a collapsible travel wheel chair for this trip? http://www.1800wheelchair.com/category/travel-chairs/

I have one , but I already travel with a collapsible shower chair and patient lift, so I am not sure I can haul another piece. But that is a good suggestion.

My friend needs the comfort and mobility of his power chair so can't leave that behind.

Why not just open the divider and all meet on the balcony of the person with the wheel chair ???

This is a handicap cabin that has the unique feature of a secondary forward balcony. There is no other way to it than through that opening. That forward section has a great view forward over the bow and just sorry I can't get him out there.

I have one , but I already travel with a collapsible shower chair and patient lift, so I am not sure I can haul another piece. But that is a good suggestion.

My friend needs the comfort and mobility of his power chair so can't leave that behind.

I think HAL has some mobility assisstence equipment for rent on board. Hope someone can give you more information but seems I have seen wheel chairs in the hallway with "Property of Holland America" labeled on them.

I think HAL has some mobility assisstence equipment for rent on board. Hope someone can give you more information but seems I have seen wheel chairs in the hallway with "Property of Holland America" labeled on them.

I think those wheelchairs are used by the medical staff for ill patients and for assistance at embarkation and disembarkation. (When you request wheelchair assistance for embarkation, they make it very clear that they will take you to your cabin and that's the end of using the HAL wheelchair) IIRC, all mobility assistance has to be requested in advance and rented from HAL's designated supplier if you want to have it delivered onboard.

I think those wheelchairs are used by the medical staff for ill patients and for assistance at embarkation and disembarkation. (When you request wheelchair assistance for embarkation, they make it very clear that they will take you to your cabin and that's the end of using the HAL wheelchair) IIRC, all mobility assistance has to be requested in advance and rented from HAL's designated supplier if you want to have it delivered onboard.
I am familiar with their policy of not loaning out chairs for a whole cruise. But we really would only want it for glacier day so possibly they would allow that. But I would still have to determine if they would fit through that opening and if it could be made comfortable for a long stretch of the day.

Currently on the Westerdam with our balcony open between rooms. We tried to wheel a standard wheelchair through the opening and it won’t go if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.....Good to hear from someone with on site experience. Any way for you to get an actual measurement while you are there?

This is a handicap cabin that has the unique feature of a secondary forward balcony. There is no other way to it than through that opening. That forward section has a great view forward over the bow and just sorry I can't get him out there.

From pictures on cruisedeckplans, one of the problems with that balcony is that the walls are steel, not plexiglass, so sitting he would have to crane his neck to see over the railing. I pulled this pic of 5002. Far batter to view the glaciers from the promenade deck that wraps all around. EM

enhance

From pictures on cruisedeckplans, one of the problems with that balcony is that the walls are steel, not plexiglass, so sitting he would have to crane his neck to see over the railing. I pulled this pic of 5002. Far batter to view the glaciers from the promenade deck that wraps all around. EM

enhance

I had seen those pics but I was having trouble posting them. Thanks for doing that.

Power chairs tend to be higher than push wheelchairs so probably not much neck craning. Plus, It wouldn't be about looking down at he water and more about watching things in the distance like glacier calving. And sitting further back away from the railing would make it easier to do that. It would be all academic anyway if he can't get out there. This cabin also has that forward facing window for watching the view if he gets too cold.

Thanks.....Good to hear from someone with on site experience. Any way for you to get an actual measurement while you are there?

Unfortunately, I have nothing to measure with. The wheelchair we used was a standard ‘push/self propel’ which my friend rented for her DH for the entire cruise. It occurs to me that door from the room to the balcony has a huge lip to step over. I don’t know if the handicap rooms have some sort of ramp to accommodate a wheelchair.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to measure with. The wheelchair we used was a standard ‘push/self propel’ which my friend rented for her DH for the entire cruise. It occurs to me that door from the room to the balcony has a huge lip to step over. I don’t know if the handicap rooms have some sort of ramp to accommodate a wheelchair.

Thanks for responding. Yes, the handicaps have ramps inside and out.