Puerto Montt Excursions

land lover

I don't remember where I read it but I did read a couple of reviews of the ranch visit in that area and they were very positive. Based on that, we had planned to do it on a ship tour but then decided to visit the one in Buenos Aires instead because that tour also included the tour of the cemetery and is a little less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

We hired a driver on the road out of the port for around US$50- (paid in pesos @ 625:1, kinda fun...)

He gave us a great tour over to Varas and the area view points. We were with him for maybe 3 hours, then he dropped us downtown within walking distance to the port.

After our trip, one of the volcanos he showed us blew :eek:

• 4 months later...
We hired a driver on the road out of the port for around US$50- (paid in pesos @ 625:1, kinda fun...)

He gave us a great tour over to Varas and the area view points. We were with him for maybe 3 hours, then he dropped us downtown within walking distance to the port.

After our trip, one of the volcanos he showed us blew :eek:

I was searching Puerto Montt and came across your post. I am going on a cruise with that as a port this coming December. I wanted to ask you if this is a good walking around port? Was downtown nice to walk around? Or were there other good things to do close to the port?

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated!

SaveSave

I was searching Puerto Montt and came across your post. I am going on a cruise with that as a port this coming December. I wanted to ask you if this is a good walking around port? Was downtown nice to walk around? Or were there other good things to do close to the port?

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated!SaveSave

I was in Puerto Montt earlier this month as part of a Celebrity cruise. Outside of the terminal building we took the offer of a 3-hr tour for US$50 per person on a 16-passenger van with guide. We drove the circuit along the eastern side of Lake Llanquihue and visited the beautiful Petrohue waterfall and river. The sight of the volcano Osorno is awesome. We also visited the town of Puerto Varras with strong German architecture influence. It was a well worth excursion. Other tour will take people to Frutillar, also around the lake but at a different direction. On the way back we drove through downtown. I don't think it is is close to the port and I did not see anything interesting there.

I was in Puerto Montt earlier this month as part of a Celebrity cruise. Outside of the terminal building we took the offer of a 3-hr tour for US$50 per person on a 16-passenger van with guide. We drove the circuit along the eastern side of Lake Llanquihue and visited the beautiful Petrohue waterfall and river. The sight of the volcano Osorno is awesome. We also visited the town of Puerto Varras with strong German architecture influence. It was a well worth excursion. Other tour will take people to Frutillar, also around the lake but at a different direction. On the way back we drove through downtown. I don't think it is is close to the port and I did not see anything interesting there.

Thank you! Did they take credit cards? I don't plan to exchange much money as I prefer to charge everything.

I agree - take a tour outside of the port area. There's nothing much to see near the port (it's not really the nicest area) and the scenery and sights are further afield. Unfortunately, it rained when we were there so we couldn't see the volcano, but from photos it looked gorgeous! We enjoyed Petrohue Falls and Puerto Varas as well as petting and feeding llamas. The baby llamas were adorable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were there a few weeks ago. We went to Puerto Varas. Got off the ship, went out to the street, walked about 10 minutes to the bus station and caught the local bus to Puerto Varas.

You do need local currency for the bus. As I recall it was about $2 each way. Our on board enrichment person who provided overviews of each area did a talk. We realized how easy it would be to go on our own. We did excellent private tours in Falklands and Usuaia

We very much enjoyed Puerto Varas. We did spend some time in Puerto Montt in the afternoon. We much preferred the former. There were scads of tour buses there. We were happy that we went along on our own.

• 1 month later...

We did a tour on our own at Puerto Montt from Sea Princess in 2017, using Charly's Tours. Charly was wonderful, his English is excellent (he spent over 30 years in UK), and he was a careful driver. He also negotiated discounts when we wanted to visit attractions. We were blown away with the similarity of the lake and the volcanos compared with lake Taupo and its three volcanoes in New Zealand. You can contact Charly either by phone +56 65 96 190 6287 or by email charlycasoni@gmail.com. We can recommend him.

We decided to do our own thing. Got the data from the destination expert on our Princess cruise.

We exited the ship, short distance to the street, turned right, and walked 5-10 minutes to the local bus station. We took a mini bus to Puerto Varas. It was a 15 minute drive. We paid about $2 each. We had local currency, the bus driver provided change. We had no issue where to take the bus. The information kiosk personnel at the bus station were very helpful.

Spent several hours there, then came back and did a brief walk around Porto Montt. Not really much to see there.

We were happy we did this. Enjoyed spending time in Varas.

Hi. Why would you like to go to a rancho there? Going to South America we feel that you can go to rancho in Buenos Aires or better is Montevideo that is closer.

Hello All,

We will be arriving in Puerto Montt on Jan 19, 2018 on the Emerald Princess. We have booked a tour with Denis on a 5-8 hour tour, depending on ship arrival and departure times, We will be visiting Lianqueihue Lake, Todos los Santos Lake, Petrohuse Rapids/Falls,Puerto Varas and Puerto Montt. There is already one group that is full (18 people) and a second group has just been initated. For more information or joining our group, search the Emerald Princess Jan 17, 2018 roll call

Louise

• 10 months later...
We were there a few weeks ago. We went to Puerto Varas. Got off the ship, went out to the street, walked about 10 minutes to the bus station and caught the local bus to Puerto Varas.

You do need local currency for the bus. As I recall it was about $2 each way. Our on board enrichment person who provided overviews of each area did a talk. We realized how easy it would be to go on our own. We did excellent private tours in Falklands and Usuaia

We very much enjoyed Puerto Varas. We did spend some time in Puerto Montt in the afternoon. We much preferred the former. There were scads of tour buses there. We were happy that we went along on our own.

Where were you able to purchase the local currency for the bus?

• 2 weeks later...