Buenos Aires, Hotel Recommendations

Camillus112

• 2 weeks later...

Rates vary quite a but by season and date, which makes it difficult to be precise but I checked mid Jan rates and this is what I came up with: among the Alvear options the Art was showing rates of $260. Other quality hotels in that general price range, the Sofitel and the Sheraton in Retiro and the Brick in Recoleta. The Intercontinental and Pan Americano also fall in this price range but I don't care much for their location. The Hotel Madero in Puerto Madero is another option. Puerto Madero is quite nice though not my favorite neighborhood because it is too new to have much of a sense of neighborhood.

Most 5 star luxury hotels such as the Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons and Alvear Palace are well beyond the 200 dollar range.

From the above, the easy and best choice is the Alvear Art.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by dr__dawggy

dr._dawggie, thanks so much for your valuable information and analysis. It is really helpful! People like you are angels in this forum.

You are welcome. I offer advice here as pay back for advice I have received in the past and hope to receive in the future when cruising to ports unknown to me. Hope you find a great hotel at a great rate. Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Enjoy.

We were pleased with the Fierro in Palermo Hollywood. Not impressive from the street but very nice room and an amazing restaurant. Walked everywhere, and the only times we took a cab was to the train to Tigre and to the cruise port. Although a very good hotel, it was elevated by the quality of the staff - supurb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You are welcome. I offer advice here as pay back for advice I have received in the past and hope to receive in the future when cruising to ports unknown to me. Hope you find a great hotel at a great rate. Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Enjoy.

We are visiting Buenos Aires from 18th-20th January 2018 after a NCL Santiago-Buenos Aires cruise. First time in South America, first time with NCL cruise ... Our TA has booked us into the Hotel Plaza San Francisco and I cannot see this or the neighbourhood on any of the 'Best Tips' recommendations! Should I be worried? The hotel is at the eastern end of Av. Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins 816 so we might have a wee walk to get into the centre of town/main sites? TIA for any information!

Steve & Elaine

We are visiting Buenos Aires from 18th-20th January 2018 after a NCL Santiago-Buenos Aires cruise. First time in South America, first time with NCL cruise ... Our TA has booked us into the Hotel Plaza San Francisco and I cannot see this or the neighbourhood on any of the 'Best Tips' recommendations! Should I be worried? The hotel is at the eastern end of Av. Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins 816 so we might have a wee walk to get into the centre of town/main sites? TIA for any information!

Steve & Elaine

I Googled the hotel and address because I was unfamiliar with either. I found a Hotel Plaza San Francisco art that address in Santiago rather than Buenos Aires? You might want to double check.

Steve & Elaine

I'm pretty sure that hotel is in Santiago, Chile, not Buenos Aires.

I Googled the hotel and address because I was unfamiliar with either. I found a Hotel Plaza San Francisco art that address in Santiago rather than Buenos Aires? You might want to double check.

Well, that's the 'Idiot of the Week' Award closed to further nominations (not the first time I've won it ...).

Having put on my reading glasses, the BA hotel is Feirs Park Hotel, Esmerelda 1366 - not the brightest start!

Steve (with the glasses) & Elaine (the innocent party)

I'm pretty sure that hotel is in Santiago, Chile, not Buenos Aires.

Just testing! Sorry - I was working off the wrong page of the Booking Schedule ... When Elaine sees this, she will take control of the map and navigation!

The hotel is Feirs Park Hotel, Esmerelda 1366 (Buenos Aires? :)) ...

Did you find the information you needed about the hotel and neighborhood once you figured out which hotel was in which city?

I replied (or entered my plea in mitigation ...) in Post #19. We're staying at the Feirs Park Hotel, Esmeralda 1366 (in Buenos Aires!). Is Esmeralda a reasonable neighbourhood? We have no information or reference point (but, equally, we have no pre-conceptions) - first time to S. America, first cruise with NCL - so eveything is preceded by 'Fingers crossed'!

We would appreciate any information/tips/comments. TIA.

Steve & Elaine

Esmeralda is located in Retiro, which is located between Plaza San Martin/downtown and upscale Recoleta. Retiro is the nicest part of downtown in my opinion and not more than a 10 minute walk in either direction to the adjacent neighborhoods, which tend to have more restaurants and cafes.

I have walked by the hotel although I have never stayed or eaten there. I have heard from those who have stayed there and they had a good experiences, particularly with the helpfulness of the staff.

Esmeralda is located in Retiro, which is located between Plaza San Martin/downtown and upscale Recoleta. Retiro is the nicest part of downtown in my opinion and not more than a 10 minute walk in either direction to the adjacent neighborhoods, which tend to have more restaurants and cafes.

I have walked by the hotel although I have never stayed or eaten there. I have heard from those who have stayed there and they had a good experiences, particularly with the helpfulness of the staff.

Thank you so much for the reassuring reply, doctor! I was just saying to Elaine as we took our end of day stroll that the appeal of the new/exotic locations and different cultures is also the weakness or danger - if you have no frame of reference, you have no idea whether you're on the brink of a brilliant new experience or on the cusp of a disappointing voyage!

We're away to Cuba and the Caribbean 1 week today and we have decided to try a Salsa lesson in Havana; and a Tango lesson in Buenos Aires on the S. America cruise in mid-January 2018. Bearing in mind the paragraph below, this is probably lunacy - but neither of us wants to return to Scotland with a wistful 'I wonder if we could have done those dances ...'

I tried to duck my Ballroom Dancing Bronze Medal exam almost 40 years ago by working late ('Sorry darling, an emergency cropped up - and we won't make it to the class in 10 minutes since we haven't eaten'). The former Mrs Marchie had other ideas and we arrived with moments to spare with my still not having eaten - as we went for a turn in the waltz, the room span and I fainted ... So I failed the exam! :D

We are determined to have a wonderful time and we've taken a big step with your reassurance - thank you, again. BTW, I found your 'Tango Club' Post - this will probably be our source document for shaping the itinerary - so thanks for that also!

Steve & Elaine

• 2 months later...
The Intercontinental and Pan Americano also fall in this price range but I don't care much for their location.

We are trying to find a hotel and get to know the neighborhoods of Buenos Aires. Just wondering why is the location for Intercontinental and Pan Americano is not that good. Thanks

We are trying to find a hotel and get to know the neighborhoods of Buenos Aires. Just wondering why is the location for Intercontinental and Pan Americano is not that good. Thanks

Both are located in the downtown area. The Pan Americano is on a very busy street. The Intercontinental is in a part of town that empties at night when government and office workers go home. Recoleta and Palermo are both more residential and have a safer feel at night, as does Retiro, which is at the opposite end of the downtown area.