Use caution in Buenos Aires

wesport

So, Holland America warned us if scams and pick pockets in BA. On our first day of walking, we removed all jewelry had no wallet on us. Credit card and money in our shoe. Walking down the street, someone squirted green slime on us. As the kind old gentleman came up to us with tissues, our alarm bell rang, and we just walked forward very fast. All we had was a shoulder bag over my neck and shoulder. I guess they were trying to get us to stop so they could get that bag. Just be very aware.

As much as we love Buenos Aries it is one of those cities that we use extra caution and all you said we do. We wear no jewelry other then a cheap watch, take very little money and one credit card and wear that in a wallet under my shirt) and we are street smart. Don't take a wad of money out inside a store or outside on the street and be careful about your surroundings. My wife will only wear a cross strap bag and she won't carry money or credit cards.

Glad that you didn't stop because you are right.......the bag would have been taken.

I am glad you took the time to write this post, sharing your experience.

Keith

To ad insult to injury, one we got settled at the Hilton, we took an afternoon walk, and pick pockets squirted us with green slime. They then come over with tissues to offer help as they rob you. Luckily we got a letter from the captain warning us, so we had nothing on us. Not a good day in BA. The last two days have been fantastic though. Part of the travel experience

It is not just Buenos Aires but many large cities everywhere. You have to always be aware of your surroundings and not let anyone in your space. We all tend to be to trusting when someone offers to help. Most pick pockets are very good at their craft. Even a well dressed couple can be pickpockets, some of us tend to have a stereotype pickpocket in our brain that a well dress couple doesn't fit.

Last time we were in Buenos Aires we dressed very down and outright shabby. We went to a shopping. Center near our hotel with high end shops and everyone was dripping in diamonds and designer good. Lol. No issues the way we were dressed in BA but rio was a different story. Very scared. Italy is bad too.. someone tried to pickpocket me in Pisa, Rome and Venice. Didn’t go out of my hotel in Nairobi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does happen in every city, but in BA and Barcelona it's especially bad because thieves who are caught are not aggressively prosecuted.

In Barcelona it's a ticket similar to jaywalking--no criminal record. Thieves factor in the tickets as a business expense.

Shawnino

The reason they are not prosecuted in Barcelona is due to the monetary value of the crime. I think anything considered less than €400 is not followed up, but that's the law. In Buenos Aires I have no idea as I've never been there.

The majority of the offences are petty crime and watching how many tourists are so placid and unaware of their surroundings, then opportunists are going to take advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does happen in every city, but in BA and Barcelona it's especially bad because thieves who are caught are not aggressively prosecuted.

In Uruguay they don't prosecute anyone under 18. They had a referendum to lower the age to 16 and it was voted down.

Unless there is actual physical injury, the police don't seem interested.

There are indeed some cities around the world to use extra precaution and this is one. Others that come to mind include Lima, Rio, Naples, and Barcelona.

As a tourist we are a target and sometimes just unaware and that can include cities in our own country.

Keith

• 1 month later...
We will be in Buenos Aires in February. Thanks for the information

Just off our cruise. Several got robbed in Buenos Aires, necklaces snatched and also watches stolen using the slime trick.

Did not hear of any problems in Rio but the ship sent out warnings every day before we left as we were there three days for Carnaval.

Returned from B.A .early Feb this year...had read these warnings so was aware that we should be alert.

I never remove my jewellery, so even though Princess had given warnings, I ( perhaps stupidly) carried on regardless.

We asked a policeman for directions when walking from ship into town. He kindly had a friend with whom he was talking, walk half the way with us. Then point us in right direction. His English and our Spanish are non existent..but by gesture, he told me to be very careful to hang onto my handbag.

Our hotel was called The Brick and was in an upmarket area near an upscale mall, but there were some street sleepers not too far away. They had collection pots but were asleep as we passed.

Having lunch in a restaurant in main shopping streets, we saw two policeman awaken a man who had been sleeping outside on the floor. They just touched him gently, he got up and walked away. The policemen were carrying guns.

We walked around, caught hop on/off buses and taxis, shopped, took photos, ate in restaurants, shopped some more..all the touristy things. Whilst we remained vigilant, we did not feel threatened.

Perhaps we were lucky. Just be aware, do not draw attention to yourself and you will enjoy.

Edited by Reina del Mar
Spelling

Returned from B.A .early Feb this year...had read these warnings so was aware that we should be alert.

I never remove my jewellery, so even though Princess had given warnings, I ( perhaps stupidly) carried on regardless.

We asked a policeman for directions when walking from ship into town. He kindly had a friend with whom he was talking, walk half the way with us. Then point us in right direction. His English and our Spanish are non existent..but by gesture, he told me to be very careful to hang onto my handbag.

Our hotel was called The Brick and was in an upmarket area near an upscale mall, but there were some street sleepers not too far away. They had collection pots but were asleep as we passed.

Having lunch in a restaurant in main shopping streets, we saw two policeman awaken a man who had been sleeping outside on the floor. They just touched him gently, he got up and walked away. The policemen were carrying guns.

We walked around, caught hop on/off buses and taxis, shopped, took photos, ate in restaurants, shopped some more..all the touristy things. Whilst we remained vigilant, we did not feel threatened.

Perhaps we were lucky. Just be aware, do not draw attention to yourself and you will enjoy.

Thanks, very helpful.

Do you remove wedding bands and small earrings for pierced ears?

Whatever makes you feel safe. These guidelines are the same for traveling anywhere, even in your daily life when you could be carrying money, out shopping, in crowded areas. Do not hang your purse on the back of your chair or set your electronics down on the table in a busy area. Do divide up your money , credit cards etc.